ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.
Old 01-06-15, 04:24 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Exterior Guides
Print Wikipost

05 Lexus ES330 rear window won't open!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-18, 02:22 PM
JonFES330
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry Still Not Working - Will Try Again Later!

Originally Posted by citizenick
My 2 cents:

I've attempted a few times to do this but did not have success....until today!

Just thought I'd give it another try today...and IT WORKED!

So dont give up
Sure wish this had worked for me; got excited coming across this LONG thread, and all the success stories - but no such luck. I hear the motor clicking when depressing the window switch both on the door (rear, left side) and when using the main control switch on driver's door. Slammed multiple-times; depressing the button each time. Probably caused the motor to overheat, so will trying again tomorrow. If doesn't work, will remove the panel with excellent, detailed instructions provided above by another member.
Old 05-08-20, 10:05 AM
Kielbasa
Driver School Candidate

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi guys, Kielbasa in Connecticut. I went to give my dad's 2004 ES330 a cleaning and coating to his seats and I also gave all of the woodgrain the waxing for spring. When I went to lower the rear driver door window, it wouldn't lower. After doing some searching I found this fix. For me, it worked the first time and not with any kind of slamming with closing the door. It worked by just closing it normally.

What I want to know is, what is actually the root of the problem that creates this?

Thanks, Kielbasa
Old 05-11-20, 11:26 AM
JWRussell
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Rear Window Problems

Originally Posted by Kielbasa
Hi guys, Kielbasa in Connecticut. I went to give my dad's 2004 ES330 a cleaning and coating to his seats and I also gave all of the woodgrain the waxing for spring. When I went to lower the rear driver door window, it wouldn't lower. After doing some searching I found this fix. For me, it worked the first time and not with any kind of slamming with closing the door. It worked by just closing it normally.

What I want to know is, what is actually the root of the problem that creates this?

Thanks, Kielbasa
I am not an auto mechanic, only a shade tree mechanic, before computers in cars. My thought is the track that the window runs in, especially at the top, is grabbing the glass too tightly. I think by putting candle wax on the top edge of the window might fix this problem. I haven't tried it yet, but plan too. Congratulations on all your work in cleaning your Dad's car. YOU ARE SUCH A JEWEL. JWRussell
Old 05-13-20, 10:26 AM
Kielbasa
Driver School Candidate

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Thank you for the option to try. I did clean out the track guide area around the window. There was a little dust in there, but nothing I think... would hold the window in place. I might try the wax along the window edge and possibly some sort of protectant around the window frame guide area.

As far as the cleaning of my dad's car. I just happen to be the detail guy for all of the family's cars. But as I get older, I am slowly getting tired of doing it, but on the other side of the coin, I hate dirty cars.

Originally Posted by JWRussell
I am not an auto mechanic, only a shade tree mechanic, before computers in cars. My thought is the track that the window runs in, especially at the top, is grabbing the glass too tightly. I think by putting candle wax on the top edge of the window might fix this problem. I haven't tried it yet, but plan too. Congratulations on all your work in cleaning your Dad's car. YOU ARE SUCH A JEWEL. JWRussell
Old 06-06-20, 10:06 AM
Hguyask4fr
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Going down but not up from drivers door

I recently bought an 04 ES330, and in the back both windows go up and down.
in the front All windows go Down
from the drivers door,
those back windows just will not come back up
i have tried closing the drivers door, while the cars running, with the switch held down. With the switch held up as well, since that’s the actual issue
i have tried the back left door, holding it down, and up
it goes up and down back there, so it’s frustrating as well to know if that’s working or not
it has not worked.
any tips?
i can’t seem to find out how to reset the windows for the 04 ES330 Specifically, and the drivers controls auto roll down, as well as opening slightly and what not. Just not back up at any point. To clarify, it does roll the driver and pass window up, and the windows come down when holding the unlock on the remote as well.
Old 12-16-20, 12:55 PM
break80
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Referring to the above post "Originally Posted by JSM1284"about the TSB procedure for fixing the inoperable rear windows when the door slamming fails to work, that is exactly what I need. I located the actual TSB on this issue, but I do not know how to find the "cushion" referenced in the TSB. Anyone know where to find it or what it looks like, or what the final installation looks like? Maybe someone out there had the repair done and can take a photo. Thanks.

Last edited by break80; 12-16-20 at 01:17 PM. Reason: added important details
Old 05-22-21, 11:51 AM
hpc8
Driver School Candidate

JWRussell, I wanted to thank you for this post and let you know that your theory worked. We were unsuccessful with approx 15 door slams 3 different times at getting the motor to power through the stuck condition. More voltage with 2000 rpm got the window motor to work on first attempt (at that rpm). Nice work.
Old 05-22-21, 11:56 AM
hpc8
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by JWRussell
You are doing what we had suggested. But - I have a theory that might just work. Have a second person speed up the car engine to about 2000 rpm. What I think is when the engine is stopped the voltage to the window motor is probably 12 volts. With the car engine running the voltage to the window motor would be between 12 and 15 volts. If you were to speed up the engine to 2000 rpm or so, the voltage to the window motor would be probably 15 volts. Therefore more power to the motor equals more pulling power. Since your back windows have been just sitting there for 10 years without moving, I suspect that the top window groove really has a grip on the glass. I am no auto mechanic, used to be a shade tree mechanic until computers ruled. Also while I have your attention, there are FEW Auto Mechanics today, they are PARTS RE PLACERS. I do hope this helps.
JWRussell, your theory worked. Getting more volts to the stuck motor at 2000 rpm got it to work first attempt.
The following users liked this post:
Datanerd (07-06-21)
Old 07-07-21, 05:18 AM
Datanerd
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Yet another vote of thanks for this thread. I'm borrowing a family member's ES330, and they'll be glad to know that I 'fixed' the window for them.
Old 07-27-21, 11:56 AM
June1978
Intermediate

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

So my door has stopped working 3 times now and slamming the door closed is a temp fix

Is there a part that needs to be replaced to fix this permanently? If so, anyone have a part #? Thanks
Old 07-27-21, 12:40 PM
Arsenii
Pole Position

Received 793 Likes on 665 Posts

Originally Posted by June1978
So my door has stopped working 3 times now and slamming the door closed is a temp fix

Is there a part that needs to be replaced to fix this permanently? If so, anyone have a part #? Thanks
Hello,

As I described in this post, a TSB (#EL010-06 SEP 06) was issued for this specific problem. Part Number for the Cushion Kit I was referring to is 68145-33020. You can ask a local dealership about it, they may do it cheaper than usual, if it is a good dealership that is..

Hope this helps and best of luck!
Old 07-27-21, 07:28 PM
June1978
Intermediate

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Arsenii
Hello,

As I described in this post, a TSB (#EL010-06 SEP 06) was issued for this specific problem. Part Number for the Cushion Kit I was referring to is 68145-33020. You can ask a local dealership about it, they may do it cheaper than usual, if it is a good dealership that is..

Thank you brother Arsenii
Old 07-28-21, 07:14 PM
funcrusher
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Arsenii
Hello,

interesting! I wonder if they’re still covering that fix.
Old 07-28-21, 07:16 PM
Arsenii
Pole Position

Received 793 Likes on 665 Posts

Originally Posted by funcrusher
interesting! I wonder if they’re still covering that fix.
Only one way to find out..
Old 04-09-22, 10:01 AM
mjf4241
Driver School Candidate

Default Ha! It worked

I just bought an 2004 ES330 with the rear windows stuck closed. The slam the door method worked. No telling how long they’d been stuck closed. Thank you for this thread!!

Quick Reply: 05 Lexus ES330 rear window won't open!!