ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

3ES Wood Shift Knob

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-10, 10:59 AM
GoodRevs
Instructor

Received 46 Likes on 27 Posts

An update for anyone interested. I advise you not to do this mod. I went at it again this weekend to try and fix the slight wobbli-ness and place it properly to prevent it from locking up and not allowing me to remove the key. It basically boils down to being extremely difficult to figure out where to drill the holes to mount the **** in just the right spot. I wasn't able to do this the second time either. The **** is now sturdier but it locks up almost every time. About the only good news is that jiggling the **** will cause the rod to pop back up almost every time. I'd go back to the stock leather **** if I didn't break it in the process. It's kinda difficult to explain exactly what I'm talking about but trust me this mod isn't worth it unless you REALLY want a wood shift ****.
Old 09-11-10, 11:22 AM
lej1447
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1) Great job on the installation. It looked good.
2) Thanks so much for the update. That was really helpful. I was going to start this project after seeing your pix. Then I went on to read page 2 and saw the update. Phew.
Old 11-02-10, 08:18 AM
NITROxSC4
Rookie

i wonder if this shift **** will work on the '95 sc400
Old 11-02-10, 04:26 PM
angmedic91
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I did the upgrade couple of weeks ago. I do/did have the issue GoodRevs had or is still having. You really have to measure out where to drill the new holes on the plastic part of wood and leather shift ****. That is the first thing, then the next issue and this is the most important issue is the angle of the rod in the middle. This rod, allows the vehicle to shift into reverse, neutral,drive, etc; anyways this rod has to be in the proper angle in order for it to pop up into the wood and leather shift ****. If you were to look into the wood and leather shift ****, you will notice the the plastic on top of the rod fits in snug and offset from the middle of the **** hole. You will notice, when you remove the orginal leather **** from the shift pole, the rod is bent in an angle then goes up. You basically have to bend this rod into the new angle for the RX300 shift ****. I used oil and filed the opening inside the RX300 shift **** to allow more room for the rod to pop up, otherwise it binds and will not pop up as GoodRevs mentioned. Once you get the proper angle and open the hole up, it will not bind and you can tighten the screws that hold the **** in place so the **** doesnt wobble. Patience and time, will allow this upgrade to work.
Old 11-02-10, 05:42 PM
GoodRevs
Instructor

I haven't used my Lexus much since I did the upgrade, I've been driving the Cadillac since it's gonna be really cold here soon enough and Caddy's gonna spend most the winter tucked away in the garage. But yeah I never even thought about bending the rod or even fooling with the rest of the transmission assembly. I figured if I ****ed that up then I'd REALLY be up ****s creek being unable to shift any longer.

However when I have driven the ES since the upgrade it hasn't stuck. It does have what I'm gonna call a "delayed popping-up" of the rod (maybe you know what I'm referring to here) but it always pops up, It never gets stuck anymore. Maybe the **** has settled into place I'm not sure. I guess I should alter my previous statement in my last post, because I wouldn't say you 100% shouldn't do this mod, just don't do it if you want a quick, easy, plug-n-play type of mod. But if you're realistic about the work involved then give it a shot.

BTW any pics Rob?
Old 11-03-10, 01:11 PM
angmedic91
Lexus Test Driver

I completely understand about the delay, thats why I used some oil. I'm still messing with it to get the right angle on it, so i can really secure the two screws and call it done. I will post pics, but will be from my iPhone. I meant to take pics this morning, but forgot. I will take the pics and post by tomorrow. I love my upgraded wood and leather shift ****. Now just gotta figure out why I had a CEL of P0330. I recently replaced my MAF sensor, but looks like I might have to get new knock sensors and sub wiring harness wire. She's also due for an oil change next month and I was thinking of getting new coils and plug wires, they have never been changed.
Old 01-15-11, 06:56 AM
Ratman2356
Rookie

Any updates on this? I am watching the salvage yards for a **** and plan to tinker with this come spring on my 93 SC400.
Old 01-16-11, 08:44 PM
GoodRevs
Instructor

Originally Posted by Ratman2356
Any updates on this? I am watching the salvage yards for a **** and plan to tinker with this come spring on my 93 SC400.
It hasn't gotten stuck in a while. Maybe the **** "shifted" into place. Go ahead and give it a shot and report back.
Old 01-23-11, 04:01 AM
angmedic91
Lexus Test Driver

No issues with mine, on occasion it may bind, but a couple of flicks on the button and its good to go. Im very happy with how it turned out.