ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

ES300 For Acura tl?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-10, 01:49 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 163 Likes on 139 Posts

I have a neighbor with 2 TLs that both had trannies give out and one of them is having issues already on its second tranny.
Old 06-16-10, 01:58 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

Before my friends saw the car they said switch it, on the phone they hear newer car with less miles the trade was good, nce they saw the car they said keep it, my frieends who don't even know cars said don't swtich, so i most likely won't the salesperson ackwoledged my fear though. He said he totally understands and has a tl himself where the tranny "imploded" I won't be buying coilovers, but kyb struts with shock springs, willthere be a noticable difference?
Old 06-16-10, 04:30 PM
angmedic91
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by CHI2BFLO
Before my friends saw the car they said switch it, on the phone they hear newer car with less miles the trade was good, nce they saw the car they said keep it, my frieends who don't even know cars said don't swtich, so i most likely won't the salesperson ackwoledged my fear though. He said he totally understands and has a tl himself where the tranny "imploded" I won't be buying coilovers, but kyb struts with shock springs, willthere be a noticable difference?
I think you will notice a difference with KYB struts and shock springs, but like OP stated, coilovers are the way to go and you can get different spring rates for your coilovers. My friends basically said, you can get decent coilovers for couple hundred dollars more than it would cost to get new KYB struts and shock springs. Plus, with coilovers you can adjust your height and adjust your damper and like I said earlier you can purchase the coilovers with a specific spring rate for front and back. Good Luck bro.
Old 06-16-10, 04:33 PM
msdelexus
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default es300 for acura tl?

From the acura tl's perspective, why don't you post your query on any acura tl forum and see what they have to say about the lexus es300.
Being a previous acura owner, I had the same dilemma before giving it up in favor of the es300.
Good luck!
Old 06-16-10, 04:49 PM
88Legend
Pole Position

Yes these cars are known for their auto transmissions failing. But Acura fixed the problem after 2004 I believe. I personally wouldn't trade in a nice 2001 ES300 for a TL. The third gen ES is one of the most reliable and best built Lexus ever. Don't sell it.

Overall Lexus are higher quality cars. The only Acuras that are are as reliable as the ES300 is the first gen Legend.
Old 06-16-10, 05:09 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

I am keeping the Lexus, i would rather have a 138k miles car with a smallest worry that something may go wrong with a lower mile car knowing the transmission will break
Old 06-16-10, 05:11 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Also regarding coilovers, im a high school student with a limited budget, i also don't need the ability to adjust hegiht ect. I just want something to replace oem suspension for a reasonable cost. I don't remember how the es handled brand new, but for some reason, i don't think these shocks are still good at a 140k
Old 06-16-10, 05:34 PM
bigguppy
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You be surprise. My old ES was a 1998 it had around 165k miles on it with the original shock/spring before trading it in. Had no issue with it. Just check your bushings here and there.

Since you’re still in HS, don’t blow your money on unnecessary item until you have too.

By the time finish college your ES probably still run just fine. Do the regular maintenance. Like oil change on time, spark plugs, complete coolant flush, break fluid, complete transmission fluid, and something that many don’t think much about are tire pressure. Make sure it’s inflated properly.

I just had my tire balance and rotated today. Boy it was a night and day different. The car rolls better and accelerate much quicker/smoother as well. Those little things help.
Old 06-16-10, 05:42 PM
kaldES98
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 01LEXPL
I'd stay the hell away. Not trying to be a Lexus snob, but i love the ride, the quiet, the well put together interior/exterior - you can't beat it. Especially not the TL, probably because its an Accord with a facelift & leather seats.

The transmission issue is big. Another poster on the boards local to me, had his for less than a year, and one day driving - BOOM! There goes the tranny, out of the blue, on a maintained car. This may seem like a minor quirk but its not, there isn't any reason for it to do that, especially if you take care of the car and not beat the **** out of it!

Get some coilovers, and it will be a night 'n day difference. I don't have some but this is ALWAYS the case with every make/model. Coilovers are 'the thing' to do for significant handling changes.

Very sound advice, i agree fully.
I like this guy.. He always knows what's up.

Coilovers ftw.. My car handles like it's on rails. Not to mention the aesthetic improvement.

At the end of the day, the tl is just another honda. It feels like the same quality they use in their regular hondas, and the es most def looks better than that generation TL. The generation that follows however is a different story!
Old 06-16-10, 07:50 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

I do all the regular maintenance, check psi weekly and do such, its such a soft car thoguh, For kyb's and gettignt hem installed i would pay 500 so its not to bad. I get my tires balanced and rotated, but at 4/32 i would rather save the money and put it towards new tires. I was looking at bridestones, yokohamas and falkens. I guess i will pass on the acura
Old 06-16-10, 09:08 PM
IamLexus
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

the thing is i am trying to get a trade in value of my Lexus ES300 with ~5K and get a Acura TSX but I think i am dumb doing this.
Old 06-16-10, 09:55 PM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

Received 69 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by CHI2BFLO
I do all the regular maintenance, check psi weekly and do such, its such a soft car thoguh, For kyb's and gettignt hem installed i would pay 500 so its not to bad. I get my tires balanced and rotated, but at 4/32 i would rather save the money and put it towards new tires. I was looking at bridestones, yokohamas and falkens. I guess i will pass on the acura
And it's not great.

If you look around Coils can be had for 1K

To me its a no-brainer to get coils. Especially since you are asking about better handling. It will be the best and only viable option to choose this.

Lowering springs & KYB's = 700-800$ installed

Coils 1100$ <- better 'value' and you can get it to handle like its on rails.

Don't like the ride on Springs/KYB's ?? Guess what, you're stuck with them!

A friend of mine has a set of springs. He paid 800$ for them installed on his Audi, he regrets every day that he drives the car, for not getting coils. lol
Old 06-16-10, 09:56 PM
ajc8770
Driver School Candidate

i used to work for a pre-owned luxury car dealership that was owned by a lexus dealership so we got all kinds of luxury cars and ive seen a lot of ups and downs of cars and like a lot of others said, around the 99-02 acura tl's and cl's along with the same year honda accords had the trans problems.With the miles on the tl though it should still be under the dealer warranty or recall and they should replace it if it hasnt been already but the bad thing about them is they start to show some signs of wear but you could drive it one day and the trans could lock up the wheels suddenly.the tl is also a definitly sportier car with a stiffer suspension than the es so it is a rougher ride.Well after all that extra information i would stick with the es and just keep up with the maintenance if u cant afford much else right now.
Old 06-16-10, 09:56 PM
kaldES98
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by IamLexus
the thing is i am trying to get a trade in value of my Lexus ES300 with ~5K and get a Acura TSX but I think i am dumb doing this.
A. If you are getting an Acura TSX for 5 k there has got to be something wrong with it.

B. Two completely different cars

I like them though. Nice cars.. I love my ES too much though.
Old 06-16-10, 11:32 PM
IamLexus
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by kaldES98
A. If you are getting an Acura TSX for 5 k there has got to be something wrong with it.

B. Two completely different cars

I like them though. Nice cars.. I love my ES too much though.
I mean ~5K on the engine of the Lexus. I want to see how much a dealer is willing to give me. the TSX cost $9,590 2004 with 114,000 but I don't really see if its worth it I mean Lexus is very reliable but dunno about Acura with that high of mileage.

Quick Reply: ES300 For Acura tl?