ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Is the dealer ripping me off?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-10, 08:07 AM
jfaber
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is the dealer ripping me off?

Hi I am a new member from CA. I have a 1999 es-300 with 157k miles on it - been a flawless car.

Its now got a tick to it which is definitely noticeable but does not affect the driveability or power in the engine at all.

So I would like to get it fixed so I do not have to worry that something will break and really cause problems.

So i take the car to the Lexus dealer in Concord - they look at it and are telling me it will be $2100 to fix

Almost all of this is labor.

I feel like this is a lot to pay - but I thought i would ask to see what others thought about this.

Please chime in...any other shops people recommend in the east bay?
Old 06-19-10, 08:36 AM
PlatES300
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by jfaber
Hi I am a new member from CA. I have a 1999 es-300 with 157k miles on it - been a flawless car.

Its now got a tick to it which is definitely noticeable but does not affect the driveability or power in the engine at all.

So I would like to get it fixed so I do not have to worry that something will break and really cause problems.

So i take the car to the Lexus dealer in Concord - they look at it and are telling me it will be $2100 to fix

Almost all of this is labor.

I feel like this is a lot to pay - but I thought i would ask to see what others thought about this.

Please chime in...any other shops people recommend in the east bay?
what exactly is being fixed?
Old 06-19-10, 09:39 AM
jfaber
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by PlatES300
what exactly is being fixed?
we are being told that until they dig into the valve train they are not 100% sure what it is. They did say that it was about 4 to 5 hundred dollars in parts.
Old 06-19-10, 09:42 AM
PlatES300
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by jfaber
we are being told that until they dig into the valve train they are not 100% sure what it is. They did say that it was about 4 to 5 hundred dollars in parts.
You gotta find out what is being fixed first off. What problems are you having with the car? This will determine the parts needed and how much labor time is involved. $2100 is a pretty hefty price tag even for dealer standards.
Old 06-19-10, 06:18 PM
jfaber
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by PlatES300
You gotta find out what is being fixed first off. What problems are you having with the car? This will determine the parts needed and how much labor time is involved. $2100 is a pretty hefty price tag even for dealer standards.
my wife spoke with them and they said they are replacing the seals?? and gaskets on the valve train?? they will tune the car up and do an oil change.

the engine ticks when its running - no loss of power or acceleration - the car has 157k miles on it - never had a problem with it an no problems now - except for the ticking.

So ... what to do? We can live with the ticking as long as the car is not about to die...

John
Old 06-19-10, 07:18 PM
JamesBond1
Pit Crew

I would just live with the "tick" sound. It could be the valves and/or the lifters that's making that sound. They could be worn out. GL
Old 06-19-10, 07:25 PM
T4-Teg
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Most likely lifter tick. You best bet is to try a oil flush first and replace the oil with a synthetic oil. Drive the car for about 500 miles and the sounds should go away if it is infact lifter tick.

There are many sounds an engine can make. Rod knock, lifter tick, valve lash out of spec, etc...

Try the oil flush first. Many oil/lube places do them for pretty cheap. Im an ASE tech at PepBoys in texas here, and we charge about $50 for a oil flush, including a new oil change afterwards. This is for conventional oil though, synthetic will be about $20 more.
Old 06-19-10, 08:07 PM
JamesBond1
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by T4-Teg
Most likely lifter tick. You best bet is to try a oil flush first and replace the oil with a synthetic oil. Drive the car for about 500 miles and the sounds should go away if it is infact lifter tick.

There are many sounds an engine can make. Rod knock, lifter tick, valve lash out of spec, etc...

Try the oil flush first. Many oil/lube places do them for pretty cheap. Im an ASE tech at PepBoys in texas here, and we charge about $50 for a oil flush, including a new oil change afterwards. This is for conventional oil though, synthetic will be about $20 more.
Don't listen to him ^. IMHO You DO NOT want to do an oil flush on an older engine because it will clean out all of the carbon deposits and build up in the engine that, in all reality, may be filling gaps and creating seals necessary to prevent the rings and gaskets from leaking oil. A flush will losen all the carbon deposits which then can get into your main bearings and create more problems. Thus on an older engine, a flush could cause problems such as increased oil consumption and leaks from seals/gaskets/rings.

Last edited by JamesBond1; 06-20-10 at 08:43 AM.
Old 06-20-10, 09:47 AM
Maxx941
Lexus Test Driver

Sounds like valves need adjustment or shimmed is what they do for ES cars, and yeah if there digging that deep they will replace all the seals and what not which probably haven't been replaced yet. Sounds about the right price for the dealer. My car use to tick as well, once I had my valves shimmed it went away completely.
Old 06-20-10, 09:07 PM
ES3_Ray
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Maxx941
Sounds like valves need adjustment or shimmed is what they do for ES cars, and yeah if there digging that deep they will replace all the seals and what not which probably haven't been replaced yet. Sounds about the right price for the dealer. My car use to tick as well, once I had my valves shimmed it went away completely.
+1 from expirence
Old 06-21-10, 07:26 AM
Specter
Driver

Lexus vehicles are not some sort of magical car that can only be worked on by their mystical mechanics.

It's a 99. Take it to a mechanic that works on Toyotas.
Old 06-23-10, 05:49 PM
T4-Teg
Driver

Originally Posted by JamesBond1
Don't listen to him ^. IMHO You DO NOT want to do an oil flush on an older engine because it will clean out all of the carbon deposits and build up in the engine that, in all reality, may be filling gaps and creating seals necessary to prevent the rings and gaskets from leaking oil. A flush will losen all the carbon deposits which then can get into your main bearings and create more problems. Thus on an older engine, a flush could cause problems such as increased oil consumption and leaks from seals/gaskets/rings.
Yeah lets let the carbon buildup keep building up, thats a smart idea. An engine flush is designed to breakdown the carbon buildup, which then get caught in the oil filter and never makes it back to the bearings, or in the head again..
Old 06-23-10, 07:42 PM
Lexucan
Lexucanafer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Specter
Lexus vehicles are not some sort of magical car that can only be worked on by their mystical mechanics.

It's a 99. Take it to a mechanic that works on Toyotas.
A BIG +1

DO NOT take it to a Lexus dealership to have the work done.

DO take it to a Toyota dealership or an independent Toyota shop. You will save major dollars in both parts and labor.

The engine in the ES is exactly the same as in the V6 Camry. The only difference is the astronomical price Lexus puts on the parts, and the ridiculous price they charge to install them.
Old 06-23-10, 08:26 PM
JamesBond1
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by T4-Teg
Yeah lets let the carbon buildup keep building up, thats a smart idea. An engine flush is designed to breakdown the carbon buildup, which then get caught in the oil filter and never makes it back to the bearings, or in the head again..
Whatever, do as you please. I don't care.
Old 06-28-10, 10:33 AM
jfaber
Driver School Candidate

ok car is done - they replaced the valve shim buckets = some gaskets and seals - replaced the motor mounts - and some other things they found - 1699 labor - 388 in parts - 35 tax for a total of 2123.77 -_-

Car runs great now - so a bit expensive - but I am glad its done I know my wife will be safe.

Thanks for all the input!

Quick Reply: Is the dealer ripping me off?