ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

1st post! Need opinions might purchase a 00 ES300 and im torn.

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-10, 05:01 PM
JTS06Z06
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1st post! Need opinions might purchase a 00 ES300 and im torn.

Ok let me first introduce myself my name is James im 29 years old from the Chicago area. I have always been a car guy however I have never owned a Lexus.
I currently own a 2007 Acura TL-S and a 2006 Corvette Z06 and love both of them in everyway. I have recently got into this mood where I think it would be best for me to get a more reasonable daily driver something fairly cheap that I can either pay cash for or finance a small amount. I recently got married and as anyone that is married knows things change and so do the priorities. She is in no way forcing me to to do anything with either of my cars this is strictly my choice.

Anyway, as of now I have been considering selling my 07 Type S and have been kind of looking at 00-01 ES300's. Main reason is because I have heard they are very reliable and well built cars. I currently am making two fairly decent size car payments on the TL-S and the Z06 and even though I can afford it without struggling, its just not the smartest thing to be making multiple car payments. One fancy car is enough I guess is what im sayin.

So, I went and looked at a 00 ES300 Platinum Edition today at a local Lincoln dealership. I didnt have my hopes set high as I have seen some pretty beat ES300's so I really thought I was just going to see it and leave. Well this car turned out to be a cream puff. It is a one owner local (Naperville, IL) owned car from a older couple who traded it on a new Lincoln. Was shown the autocheck and carfax to verify. Each body panel has its original VIN label and every panel also has original paint which is hard to find these days as most cars have been hit or repainted. Not a single dent on this car, zero curb rash on all four wheels. The only issue I saw which is minor was driver seat wear on the side bolster. No biggy!! It has brand new tires all around as well. I noticed while driving a very slight harshness coming from the front end. I dont think it was the tires as they are new, and I drove it long enough to get any junk built up on the rotors off. Are wheel bearings something that are commonly replaced on the ES's?
Other than that the car is in exceptional condition and I am VERY picky when it comes to cars. The car has not had the timing belt done so thats something I would have to do fairly soon if I were to buy it.

With all that said what would you guys recommend? The TL-S is amazing and has every imagineable option and feature you could want. Its quick, smooth, quiet and looks amazing to. Downside....she is expensive and if I were to keep it its going to be a while before I can get it paid off especially with two payments. Again, I can afford it and im not struggling, but im trying to be smarter about cars here. So do I sell the S and get this older more basic ES im really torn on what to do. Looking for opinions from actual ES owners.

Here is the link to the ES. I guess not my first choice in colors but overall it looks good. I do however much prefer this tan interior over the black though.

Thanks,
James

2000 Lexus ES-300 Platinum

Here are some links to pictures of my Z06 and the 07 TL-S

http://www.linenoyz.net/files/images...048_resize.jpg

http://www.linenoyz.net/files/images...102_resize.jpg

http://www.linenoyz.net/files/images...632_resize.jpg
Old 06-22-10, 05:18 PM
PlatES300
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

tough choice indeed...I would love to own the TL-S but I'm still in college and just need a reliable daily drive that gets decent gas mileage. My only gripe with the ES is the lack of power but that's almost a given since it is an older car.

The ES you are looking at has the coveted OEM HID headlamps which is always a plus. As far as reliability goes, the ES is pretty rock solid. I have a 00 with 175k on it and a 97 with 245k on it that still runs like a champ and never had any major problems on it. One thing you should take note of is wind noise. This model ES has frameless windows, which makes it very suspect to wind noise once the window seals wear down. You should definitely check service records for consistent oil changes as this model is also suspect to engine sludge. Other than that, the car is solid. As for replacing the wheel bearing, you would have to hear a humming sound from the rear wheels to suspect a bad wheel bearing.

The asking price is a bit high IMO since the timing belt tune up has not been done. Parts for that alone run about 400 to 500 not including labor. I would definitely negotiate for a lower price. Good luck with your decision and feel free to ask any questions.
Old 06-22-10, 05:40 PM
Specter
Driver

That's a sweet ES... wood steering wheel, heated seats and clear rear lights...I got a 2001 ES300 and it really is affordable luxury. Super reliable.

I'd sell the Acura....

What does wifey think of the Lexus ?
Old 06-22-10, 09:06 PM
DJStarr
Driver School Candidate

That's funny, I just joined the website about a week ago. Picked up a 2001 ES 300, same color, same options except not Platinum Edition. 112k miles and they were asking $7,900. I told them to put the timing belt and water pump and we'd have a deal. A day later, they called and said ok.

I agree the color is not my first choice either but what the heck, it's a nice, affordable ride.
Old 06-22-10, 09:12 PM
Driver

that sounds like a plan, have them do some work and buy it for the asking price, then sell me that acura for $50. It's win win win.
Old 06-22-10, 09:45 PM
GoodRevs
Instructor

Received 46 Likes on 27 Posts

Z06 is a beast, amazing machine. I know you didn't mention so but don't get rid of it.

I agree with you the TL Type S is nice, but I always thought it was kinda disappointing to be considered the "performance version" of the TL (the current gen, that is). I mean, FWD and no turbo? Its a great looking car no doubt, and performance isn't bad, but to be honest in your situation having a Z06 chilling in the garage...I could live without the TL Type S.

The 2000-2001 ES is great. The one youre looking at is nice, especially with those headlights as PlatES mentioned. I'd take a look at it another time and see if you could get them down to $7k or to cover the 100k service, that'd be a pretty solid deal IMO.
Old 06-23-10, 07:54 AM
JTS06Z06
Pole Position

Thanks for all the input guys thats actually a very idea about telling them I will pay asking price if they have the Lexus dealership down the road do the 100K service. Maybe I will give them a call and mention that.

Thanks,
James
Old 06-23-10, 01:16 PM
JTS06Z06
Pole Position

Here is an update for you guys. I ended up going back to the dealership to take the car out for a while by myself and get a better feel for it. Once again its condition blew my mind. As mentioned before though I do still feel/hear a very slight harshness coming from what seems like the front end. Tires are brand spankin new and mounted correctly so I dont think its those. Anyone have any ideas are there wheel bearings that need replacement up there or is there something else that could cause this? It seems minor hopefully and I have replaced wheel bearings before. Other than that the car is very comfy to drive, I did notice very slight wind noise around the framless windows but it was minor. I knew this car had HID's, but didnt know they were autoleveling thats pretty cool. I saw the lamps cycle up and down during startup.
I tried to negotiate some more and brought up the asking price if you guys do the timing belt thing. They told me they would split the cost to do that or just knock that off the asking price and sell the car to me as is. So I got them down to $7,467. I called Lexus and they said they would do the belt for $600 bucks.

Here are some nice pictures I took of the car. I think these pretty much speak for themselves!! Very clean car!!

Old 06-23-10, 01:51 PM
Driver

Can you describe the front end harshness? You might tighten the bolts at the top of the shock mounts. The mounts also go commonly go bad.
My 93 has wind noise like crazy. I'm surprised a 2000 would have any, I wonder what it is you're supposed to do about it?
Old 06-23-10, 02:13 PM
JTS06Z06
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 12340987
Can you describe the front end harshness? You might tighten the bolts at the top of the shock mounts. The mounts also go commonly go bad.
My 93 has wind noise like crazy. I'm surprised a 2000 would have any, I wonder what it is you're supposed to do about it?
The best way to describe would be like tire noise. As if the car had old bald tires. Just seems a bit noisy up front for a Lexus. I dont see how it could be tire noise though since the tires are brand new and mounted correctly (they are directional). Brake pads have a lot of life and the rotors were clean and no shimmying.

The wind noise was minor but it was mentioned above that it is kind of common since this Lexus does not have window frames. It was very windy outside which makes it worse. Someone mentioned it so I figured I would listen for it.
Old 06-23-10, 03:33 PM
PlatES300
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

man looking at those pictures reminded me of my first car that got totaled out - the exact same color/model and everything. it's the reason why I'm still driving the 3rd gen ES. I miss that car....

sorry to thread jack but back on topic. you should definitely pick up this car. in terms of reliability and comfort, the ES is hands down the best bang for you buck IMO. I still think you can get a better price for it considering what needs to be done to it. And I would definitely have the dealer check again and see if the front wheels are properly balanced. good luck with your decision.
Old 06-23-10, 04:24 PM
Ariyanna
Lead Lap

Heres mine JTS06Z06 they detail up real nice too. BUY IT!! And yes thats a projector on my headlight :-) (mine has 125K and drives like NEW)
Attached Thumbnails 1st post!  Need opinions might purchase a 00 ES300 and im torn.-p1010656.jpg   1st post!  Need opinions might purchase a 00 ES300 and im torn.-p1010657.jpg  
Old 06-23-10, 04:29 PM
JTS06Z06
Pole Position

^^^ man that looks nice with the chrome. Really matches that paint well!! I like the projectors I have done some retrofits before with great results. Does the autoleveling still function after you did the retro?

James
Old 06-23-10, 05:42 PM
88Legend
Pole Position

Well you can't go wrong with a 3rd gen ES300. My dad bought our 2000 ES300 (Same color and everything) new off the lot. 10 years and 94k miles later it still drives the same as it did new and not a single thing has broken on it. The only things we have spent money on are regular maintenance items like fluids and brakes.

Excellent car in every way. Well besides having only 4 gears...

IMO the best Acura made was the Legend and I have never been a TL fan. But I love our ES. I would say go for it and get the ES.
Old 06-23-10, 06:02 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

The es is a great car, its not the flashiest car, or the fastest, or the greatest in any specific aspect to be honest, but for a reliable nice classy car that can bring a smile to your face every time you get in it and start it, it is a great car.

Quick Reply: 1st post! Need opinions might purchase a 00 ES300 and im torn.