ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

2ES parts questions and input....

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-10, 06:09 PM
kyledye25
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2ES parts questions and input....

I have a 93 es300. I would like to get a front strut bar to add to the looks of the engine bay. Am I correct in saying a 93 Camry strut bar would fit? I found one on ebay that I would be fine with buying. Bought one for my Integra and it worked fine even though it wasnt some 300+ name brand part. Also is there any mufflers out there that will fit on the car with little or no modification? It seems to me that no matter what muffler I buy I will need to weld in some piping to make it fit. I dont have a problem with that but would like to see what other options are out there other then a flowmaster or magnaflow muffler....any one have any suggestions? I added an intake on it so far and am looking for a little more performance...any suggestions? From what I have read on here so far there isnt much I can do. But maybe there is something I missed. I have read all the newb threads and what not. Need to fix my needles but not sure if I can myself so that may wait. I think I can....just affraid to attempt it I guess. But im sure I will sometime. My car runs great for having 241k on it. And I think im keeping for awhile....at least till it decides not to run. Which may be a lonnnngggg time. So I want to know if there is any other "performance" type parts that will fit on the 2es that may be a camry part...is you get what I am saying. There isnt much backing for the es. But is there any more parts out there that i am missing? I would like to get a set of headers for the car but have yet to find a set. Any suggestions?
Old 06-25-10, 10:33 AM
Slooooooow
Regional Officer - NTL

Cool

Wow, bro. That ginormous paragraph is kind of a mess of a post. But you're getting no replies to it, so I'll try and break it down and bit and help you out where I can.

Since it looks like you're really used to getting into the mods, let us first lower your mod expectations with the ES. Have a blast with suspension, exhaust, braking and aesthetic mods, but don't expect anything on the performance front unless you're ready to drop $8k or more to go to forced induction. The ES is a perfect luxury cruiser, but there's virtually NO performance aftermarket for it. Our counterparts on the Camry forums feel the same pain (see 3rd/4th gen Camry forum over on ToyotaNation.com).

The ES, especially the 2nd gen, has been out there a LOOOONG time, so there's very little that you won't find already written about in here. The Search Engine is your friend, and with your 2nd gen, you'll find any posts by "Pheonix" especially helpful as he was an early pioneer with that gen's 3VZFE motor.

Originally Posted by kyledye25
I would like to get a front strut bar to add to the looks of the engine bay. Am I correct in saying a 93 Camry strut bar would fit? I found one on ebay that I would be fine with buying.
Generally, any parts for the 3rd generation Camry will fit the 2nd generation ES.
There are some issues with hood clearance with some STBs so close it CAREFULLY the first time!

Also is there any mufflers out there that will fit on the car with little or no modification? It seems to me that no matter what muffler I buy I will need to weld in some piping to make it fit. I dont have a problem with that but would like to see what other options are out there other then a flowmaster or magnaflow muffler....any one have any suggestions?
Using "muffler" in the search engine brought up some helpful posts like:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es3...n-muffler.html

So I want to know if there is any other "performance" type parts that will fit on the 2es that may be a camry part...is you get what I am saying. There isnt much backing for the es. But is there any more parts out there that i am missing?
I added an intake on it so far and am looking for a little more performance...any suggestions?
There is always Forced Induction:
Good nuts and bolts discussion that distracted quickly into a PSI vs mass debate, featuring our Pheonix: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es3...the-es300.html
How to increase performance: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es3...rformance.html

Basically just do a Search with the word "performance" and you'll get a string of performance-based threads.

Need to fix my needles but not sure if I can myself so that may wait. I think I can....just affraid to attempt it I guess. But im sure I will sometime.
LexTech is the service many (most?) ClubLexus members use to revive their needles and gauges.
Lexucan also has a nifty DIY project (found in the "Hall of Fame" stickies thread) to repair needles too.

I would like to get a set of headers for the car but have yet to find a set. Any suggestions?
OBX Headers discussion: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es3...x-headers.html
Headers for the ES: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es3...or-the-es.html
Headers for the 3VZ: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es3...s-for-3vz.html
Old 06-25-10, 10:45 AM
Slooooooow
Regional Officer - NTL

More performance stuff:

Originally Posted by Pheonix
Everythings custom.

* custom intake
* custom intake manifold & throttlebody
* head porting & valve work (1mm oversized exhaust valves do fit)
* custom cams
* custom headers/collector or custom y-pipe
* high flow/delete cat
* high flow resonator
* high flow muffler
* piggyback to control ignition timing & somewhat fuel
* higher compression pistons (hah)
* stroked crankshaft & corisponding rods (hahaha)
* bored out cylinder sleeves & larger pistons (bawahahahahaha)
* knife edged crankshaft (ahhh hahahahahahahahahahahaha)
* lightening the engine/drivetrain components

Which is pretty much why you just do intake, make a y-pipe/cat & change cat back. Maybe get a piggyback. Mods cost money, and the only mod with a really good price / performance ratio normilly aspirated is a y-pipe.

Which is why most of us say do the basic mods, then:
1) buy a new car
2) spend $450-550 on ebay for a wet n2o kit
3) save for a turbo setup

Impossible to say. Figure... 340-400bhp N/A on a 9K, 9.5K, 10K rpm peak engine. But at extrordinary cost. You're literally talking about building a 10-20 grand engine.

Just do some basic mods, then save for a turbo, or n2o. N/A sucks. It's always expencive, and always a dead end. With FI, you can make whatever you want to, at infinately less cost, with no sacrafice on the powerband.
EXHAUST NOTES & QUOTES:

Originally Posted by Pheonix
A grounding system really isn't going to do anything on that engine. It's a wasted spark ignition. The stock spark is very, very strong. Maybe on an engine that has corroded every stock ground off of it.

You're really looking at doing some exhaust mods. Its all been said many times before. Y-pipe, high flow cat (or no cat with an o2 simulator if u dont' have emessions), a high flow resonator, and a good muffler.
From there... It gets relatively expencive with headwork, cams, or a turbo/supercharger. Unless you just feel like slapping a $450-550usd wet n2o kit on. Thats always the most cost effective way.

BTW headers suck. $800-1200 for custom headers, and they don't provide the power a good y-pipe will make on stock headers. I could babble on about header design, but I don't feel like it today. The problem is that shorty headers are all you'll ever find, and you'll never talk someone into making a set of real long tube headers. Short headers simply don't work. btw, I wont say what the optimal header primary tube length on the 3vz-fe's & 1mz-fe's is, b/c I may yet make a set or two. I will say it is well over 3 feet long. *Noooobody* is ever gunna make u some that long b/c they'd never figure out how to merge them LoL!

Skip the headers. Just get a good y-pipe made & put on. It'll be better than the headers anyone will be able to make you without some serious fab on it.

Long tube headers are the way to go guys... Shorty headers don't do really do crap on any v6 including ours. That's alot of money for something that will never see much potential LoL!

It's a design flaw, not a "who can make the better shorty header".
Trust me. Build a Y-pipe, or go with long tube headers. You will regret it when you spend nearly a grand on shorty headers & wind up with an extra say 10-12bhp only at peak rpms.
TURBOS:
Originally Posted by mcelligott
Your best route is to just get an intake and exhaust. Everything else would be completely custom.

If you want to do a turbo youll need....injectors, fuel pump, turbo, flange, custom downpipe, custom collector pipe, intercooler piping, intercooler, s-afc, fmu, oil drain and feed lines, custom intake, a muffler or cat back/turbo back exhaust, blow off valve, wastegate, boost controller, and even more stuff if you want to have all the accessories to make your turbo experience painless and safe. Then you get to tune it which is another pain in the butt.
Old 06-25-10, 06:26 PM
kyledye25
Rookie

Wow thanks for the info!! I am real new to this forum stuff and this car. lol. Im more of a Honda guy but slowly but surely learning as much as I can about my 2ES. Glad I have the motor I do....3VZ I was told by my Toyota tech is the better one. But thanks again for your help...it really helps when someone points you in the right directions.
Old 06-25-10, 07:51 PM
Slooooooow
Regional Officer - NTL

Wiki Information about your 3VZ-FE

"Why the 3vz-fe is the best Toyota v6"

"Supercharging the 3VZ-FE?"
Old 06-26-10, 06:54 PM
brandoe91
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you have facebook search GLP Motorsports, L.L.C Gabe the owner makes custom perfomance parts for the es300/camry among others and you can seek perfomance advice from him.

Perfomance
E53 or e153 5speed manual transmission swap
Many say it's the best mod you can do to your es300/camry
Gabe from Glp can sell you a kit for a very reasonable price

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2907832 view this car to see some of things you can do to you car

*Also try spacing in your posting.It makes it easier to read.