ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

First time post, Spark plugs and general service questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-10, 05:43 AM
KJ4DIW
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First time post, Spark plugs and general service questions

Well I have never posted but I have been reading and learning tons from forum over the last couple of months. I purchased a 99 Lexus ES300 with 83k on the clock one months ago. The car is in great shape (old lady driven and garage kept).

Yesterday I changed the oil, cabin filter, replaced a broken lug nut, and changed the plugs. I ended up removing the throttle body, and intake to get the rear plugs on the back of the 3.0. Is this normal or is there an easier way to access the three rear plugs? It didn't bother me to bad because I will most likely never have to do it again with those Denso Iridium OEM plugs ($7.98 a piece, fewwww!) and it allowed me to clean the throttle body and intake throughly.

I feel very lucky having this nice car. I paid $3500 for it and it has always been serviced a Lexus. The previous owner even had them use Mobil One Synthetic Oil. The only defects are a couple of small ding in the passenger side.

One last question. What is a good brand of timing belt, water pump, etc. to use in a few miles when I change that stuff? Is there a OEM brand that is best or are the kits from Gates or Ebay good enough?

Thanks,
Wes
Old 07-10-10, 06:31 AM
JTS06Z06
Pole Position

I recently bought a 00 ES300 and did the plugs as well since it was at 100,000 miles. At first I struggled and almost lost my mind trying to get at those rear two plugs. I gave up then tried to tackel it again later using a different approach as I did not want to remove the intake.

Low and behold I found a way to get my arm in there and it was sooooooo easy I dont know how I missed this. All you gotta do is reach your arm in from along the firewall on the drivers side and they are easy as cake. Its too bad you didnt make this post before doing them as it would have saved you pulling that intake off. I can do all 3 rear plugs in 15 minutes start to finish by reaching in from the drivers side along the firewall.

Hope this helps for future plug changes.

James
Old 07-10-10, 11:41 AM
KJ4DIW
Driver School Candidate

Thanks, I'll have to try and see if I can get to them from the drivers side. Have you changed the fuel filter yet? I think I'm going to take it in to get the fuel filter changed.
Old 07-10-10, 12:47 PM
JTS06Z06
Pole Position

No I have not I didnt really think it was necessary to do that but who knows. I never have before on any cars with no issues. Maybe someone else can chime in on that.

James
Old 07-10-10, 01:17 PM
PlatES300
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by KJ4DIW
Well I have never posted but I have been reading and learning tons from forum over the last couple of months. I purchased a 99 Lexus ES300 with 83k on the clock one months ago. The car is in great shape (old lady driven and garage kept).

Yesterday I changed the oil, cabin filter, replaced a broken lug nut, and changed the plugs. I ended up removing the throttle body, and intake to get the rear plugs on the back of the 3.0. Is this normal or is there an easier way to access the three rear plugs? It didn't bother me to bad because I will most likely never have to do it again with those Denso Iridium OEM plugs ($7.98 a piece, fewwww!) and it allowed me to clean the throttle body and intake throughly.

I feel very lucky having this nice car. I paid $3500 for it and it has always been serviced a Lexus. The previous owner even had them use Mobil One Synthetic Oil. The only defects are a couple of small ding in the passenger side.

One last question. What is a good brand of timing belt, water pump, etc. to use in a few miles when I change that stuff? Is there a OEM brand that is best or are the kits from Gates or Ebay good enough?

Thanks,
Wes
I've used both OEM and aftermarket parts for the water pump and I will tell you to get the OEM water pump from the dealer or some place that has it cheaper. The aftermarket water pump does not line up correctly and the gasket that comes with it is a joke. Also, get the OEM seals for the crankshaft and camshaft. Everything else you can get after market with no problems such as the belts, bearings, and tensioner.
Old 07-10-10, 05:00 PM
KJ4DIW
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the info! OEM it is.