ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Couple of questions regarding my 97 ES 300

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-10, 10:43 PM
omee
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Couple of questions regarding my 97 ES 300

Hello guys,

This is my first lexus. Just baught it a week ago. Hoping if you can help me with some of the questions that I have. It is an Es 300 with about 230,000 km (143,000 mi) canadian spec. It runs and drives perfectly until now (touch wood)

Here Goes:

1)The previous owner lost the keyless remote.I asked the dealer and he quoted me upwards of $300. I looked online and found used ones for around $70. Im wondering if I can program these used remotes to unlock/lock my car? Are the remotes that they are selling erased or something?

2)I want to figure out which audio system I have. The previous owner took out the OEM head unit and put in a Sony Xplod.I dont like it. It says 'lexus premium sound system'. I looked under the sub on the rear deck, It says pioneer? so im assuming I have a pioneer system not a nakamichi one? Can I install a nakamichi head unit if I have a pioneer system?

3)Im averaging about 12 L/ 100 km. with mixed highway and city driving and with the A/C on. That is a bit on the higher side considering my Nissan Murano with its 3.5L V6 gets about 10 L/100 km. What kind of gas mileage do you guys get

4)I feel that the gear ratios are a bit high. Engine RPM is almost always around 2000 RPM regardless of speed. Is this normal?

Thanks in advance. looking forward to your replies and I apologise if I asked any 'dumb' questions. Never baught such a high mileage vehicle before.
Cheers
Old 07-14-10, 01:02 PM
Maxx941
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congrats on your new Lexus and welcome.
You can definitely buy used remotes and program them yourself for the keyless entry. I paid like $30 for mines. Check out the first sticky post labeled ES HALL of FAME links for instructions on programming.
I would probably go ahead and upgrade to a Alpine or Pioneer HU, stock is the pioneer speakers. Not sure if there was the Nakamichi available.
Probably most here average between 22-28 mpg depending on driving style.
Don't forget to post some Pics
Also with higher mileage ES I would check your Valve cover gaskets and look for any oil. It's common for them to leak
Old 07-14-10, 03:29 PM
BDSL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by omee
Hello guys,

This is my first lexus. Just baught it a week ago. Hoping if you can help me with some of the questions that I have. It is an Es 300 with about 230,000 km (143,000 mi) canadian spec. It runs and drives perfectly until now (touch wood)

Here Goes:

1)The previous owner lost the keyless remote.I asked the dealer and he quoted me upwards of $300. I looked online and found used ones for around $70. Im wondering if I can program these used remotes to unlock/lock my car? Are the remotes that they are selling erased or something?

2)I want to figure out which audio system I have. The previous owner took out the OEM head unit and put in a Sony Xplod.I dont like it. It says 'lexus premium sound system'. I looked under the sub on the rear deck, It says pioneer? so im assuming I have a pioneer system not a nakamichi one? Can I install a nakamichi head unit if I have a pioneer system?

3)Im averaging about 12 L/ 100 km. with mixed highway and city driving and with the A/C on. That is a bit on the higher side considering my Nissan Murano with its 3.5L V6 gets about 10 L/100 km. What kind of gas mileage do you guys get

4)I feel that the gear ratios are a bit high. Engine RPM is almost always around 2000 RPM regardless of speed. Is this normal?

Thanks in advance. looking forward to your replies and I apologise if I asked any 'dumb' questions. Never baught such a high mileage vehicle before.
Cheers

I am in Ontari as well and have a 97 ES300. I have 353,000 km on it.

1. I am averaging about 8-9L/100km during the summer with mostly highway driving and with AC off. Sometimes I get about 10-11L/100km with mixed city/highway/AC/etc. How is your driving style? Everything working accordingly?

4. Mine is around 2000-2500rpm most of the time when traveling between 100-120km/hr

Last edited by BDSL; 07-16-10 at 10:36 AM.
Old 07-19-10, 08:52 PM
omee
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Maxx941
Congrats on your new Lexus and welcome.
You can definitely buy used remotes and program them yourself for the keyless entry. I paid like $30 for mines. Check out the first sticky post labeled ES HALL of FAME links for instructions on programming.
I would probably go ahead and upgrade to a Alpine or Pioneer HU, stock is the pioneer speakers. Not sure if there was the Nakamichi available.
Probably most here average between 22-28 mpg depending on driving style.
Don't forget to post some Pics
Also with higher mileage ES I would check your Valve cover gaskets and look for any oil. It's common for them to leak
Thanks alot for your replies. I didnt reply sooner since I thaught I would get an email notification saying that someone has replied to your thread. I didnt LOL

Maxx941:Thanks for the info. I will definately look at the programming instructions when I get my remote. Im getting around 20 MPG, and my driving style is a bit sprited ( over speed all the time) so I guess im paying for it at the pump. I think I should clean the throttle body, maybe that will make some difference. As far as the stereo goes, so you are saying that most probabally I have a pioneer one since nakamichi wasnt available..rite?

BTW the car does have an oil leak. I didnt bother checking it out since I assume that it is a big and expensive fix. Correct me if im wrong?

BDSL:Thanks for the input. I think it is my driving style to blame. An maybe the mileage. The RPM on my car is around 2300 at 110-120 km/h. What I meant in my previous post is that any gear, the RPM is around 2000.
On gentle accel, 1st gear changes at 2300 RPM, 2nd gear at 2000 RPM, 3rd at 1900 RPM and so on. I have to live with it.

Thanks again for all your help
Cheers!
Old 07-20-10, 04:31 AM
BDSL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by omee
BTW the car does have an oil leak. I didnt bother checking it out since I assume that it is a big and expensive fix. Correct me if im wrong?
If it is the valve cover gaskets, they are fairly easy and cheap to replace.