ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Wiring Backup Cam

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-10, 08:17 PM
GoodRevs
Instructor

Received 46 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Wiring Backup Cam

I'm thinking about adding a backup cam for my 01 ES. I don't really need it, but i've seen models running for $50 and my avic's already set up for it. I'm thinking about placing it under the Lexus logo on the back, in between the two license plate lights. My only questions is how to run it there from the dash, primarily how to pass through from the interior to the trunk area.
Old 07-18-10, 12:51 AM
DixonPai
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

well from my knowledge of wiring the sub, you can run it thought the foot well thingy then up to the back seat then continue the wire with the wiring in the trunk lid, I guess, hahaha i kind of want to do it, but i don't like most of the after market ones that i can do myself without drilling big holes
Old 07-26-10, 06:39 PM
GoodRevs
Instructor

So where exactly would I run the wire starting at the dash behind the radio? And there are existing holes in that I can use to pass into the trunk?
Old 07-26-10, 09:00 PM
dubedlexus
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can run it from the head unit under the center console(there is 4 screws that hold it in, two under the wood around the shifter and two inside by the 12v outlet and two clips by the shifter) under the carpet out to the back seat. Then take out the back seat and in the bottom of the back part you can run the wire right to the trunk. Or along the doors well then back thru the seat, but then you need to go across the dash to the doors.
Old 07-26-10, 09:03 PM
GoodRevs
Instructor

Originally Posted by dubedlexus
You can run it from the head unit under the center console(there is 4 screws that hold it in, two under the wood around the shifter and two inside by the 12v outlet and two clips by the shifter) under the carpet out to the back seat. Then take out the back seat and in the bottom of the back part you can run the wire right to the trunk. Or along the doors then back thru the seat, but then you need to go across the dash to the doors.
Exactly what I was looking for, thanks very much. I like the more direct method rather than slipping it under the door panel trim; either way it seems I'd need to remove the back seats. How do you remove the back seats?

EDIT: Do you mean there is a space to run the wire through at the bottom of the back part of the rear seats, or do I need to remove the back of the rear seats to wire through the spaces near the sub underneath the rear window?

Last edited by GoodRevs; 07-27-10 at 05:58 PM.
Old 07-27-10, 03:48 PM
yeskay
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i plan to do it also. can you post some pictures when you are done. why didn't you opt for wireless instead of wired backup cam.
Old 07-27-10, 08:51 PM
dubedlexus
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just pull up on the bottom part (there is three clips grap under the front of the seat and pull up towards the roof) Not sure if you have to take the back part of the seat out (if you do after you get the bottom cushion out there is 4 big bolts take them out and pull that up towards the roof sometimes it is hard to get back in just make sure u get all the tabs in when you do)but look in where the two cushions meet and there is a hole to the trunk in the corner on the left and right.(you may have to lift the rubber flap up to get to it) I wish i took pics because it would be so much easier.lol
Old 08-02-10, 10:17 PM
GoodRevs
Instructor

Smooth install, just takes some time. I ran them right underneath the left rear seat, there's a small space from the trunk compartment that's exposed when you pull back the rear trunk carpet. Getting underneath the carpet to center console is difficult. I tied the end of wires to a piece of steel wire which I wrapped around a long file which I slide underneath the carpet and then pulled the end of up through the console. The wires are exposed for 8-10 inches in only the trunk between the trunk's left support arm and rear trunk carpet, all very discreetly installed.

And the pictures which were taken on my cell due to forgetting my camera. The quality of the video produced by the camera is much better in person. It's 510x496 resolution which is pretty good for these camera's.