ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Leather care

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-02, 07:23 AM
jgrooms
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Leather care

What is the best product to restore softness to the leather seats and give the car that "leather smell"?

Thanks - J
Old 07-05-02, 08:46 AM
squarehat
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've been working towards the same goal, jgrooms. I have a '96 with black leather, that had some sun damage on the top of the back seats and a portion of the passenger seat. The leather at the top of the rear bench was so dry, that the seams were pulling at least 3/4 of an inch. I've implemented a three step regimen I do every week, and the results have been fairly good.
First, I use Meguiar's Gold Class Leather Cleaner/Conditioner. It's an all in one product, a thick pink-white cream. If you have dark leather, you'll want to get the excess out of the seams, or it will dry white. I use an old sock to work the Meguiars in.
Next, I use Lexol Conditioner (brown bottle). I spray it on, and let in soak into the leather. I also use it to wash some of the excess Meguiars from the seams.
Finally, I let everything sit and dry for about an hour. Then I go back out with Zymol Leather Cleaner (a very mild glycerine soap). I use this to wipe down any excess conditioner from the seams, and any oily residue left by the leather being too saturated to hold any more Lexol.
My next step is to try Lexol NF with neetsfoot oil (white bottle). Haven't seen it locally, but I know I can get it from Bavarian Autosports (bavauto.com).
As for smell, haven't been able to get that new leather-smell. Like I mentioned in a post on the LS board (there's a leather care thread going on now, although more on cleaning than restoring), with the recent heat wave, my car smells like baked Lexol when I get back in. But the treatments are working.
Old 07-05-02, 01:45 PM
EGainer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have some turtle wax leather protectant, it smells like leather sort of. it's in a green bottle. i use that but the smell isnt permanant, just temporary
Old 07-05-02, 06:40 PM
Horta
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey All

Here is a thread I started in the LS forum. I think you might find it helpfull.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...threadid=51132
Old 07-06-02, 10:11 AM
Kyle Harty
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I just used the Soft Scrub technique on part of my back seat and it worked well (black leather). The top of my back seat is hardened from the sun too (it's not cracking though, so probably not as bad) but the Soft Scrub did soften it up a little, I'd give that a try on yours too.