ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

How do I tell if its time for new shocks?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-10, 01:27 PM
JTS06Z06
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do I tell if its time for new shocks?

I have always been into cars and working on them myself so I should know this already and will probably answer my own question below. Anyway, as the title states how do I know when its time for new shocks? I purchased my 00 ES Platinum last month with 103,000 miles and for some reason I think it needs them. I noticed when I push on the back of the car I can get it to move what seems like a LOT. I can easily bounce the car up and down. I know this is a Lexus and is supposed to be soft and cushy, but when you guys push on the rear of your car how much can you get it to bounce up and down? (im used to my Acura TL-S and Z06 that dont move whatsoever)
Also, when I was doing some brake work I noticed like 2 of the shocks had an oily substance around them which to me is clear evidence that the shocks are shot. Lastly, the car drives very nicely, but sometimes over a certain types of bumps (like a crack or small pot hole) it sounds like the suspension is a bit woobly as if the wheels are allowed to bounce up and down a little because there is no shock to help with the absorbtion of the impact.

Since I pretty much answered my own question I would like opinions on what the best shock to get is and for the best price. I would prefer to stay OEM but have a feeling its gonna be pretty pricey.

I did some more research here on the forums and a lot of guys recommend the KYB GR2's. They seem to be reasonably priced on ebay around $250 shipped for all 4. Are these pretty good? I dont want to change the ride charecteristics just something near OEM. Also, I did the typical shock test by bouncing each corner of the car and even though it moves pretty good the car still rebounds right away and does not continue to bounce more than one time. Maybe I need to go to a dealer and check out another ES300 and see how it is to compare. I know a local carmax had a 00 oe 01 ES with like 35K miles!!! That would be a good example to check out.

Thanks guys,
James

Last edited by JTS06Z06; 07-28-10 at 02:01 PM.
Old 07-30-10, 02:25 AM
avascon1
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Me being a non car expert, I do have experience with replacing the shocks on these cars!
I bought my 00 with 81k miles and within a couple weeks noticed that the suspension made a thumping noise on bumps. The car moves on the suspension alot mainly because this car does NOT have a sporty system. It's a luxury car so my guess is what your experiencing is normal. Again I'm no expert but my new OEM suspension(friend hooked it up) rides alot smoother. It's up to you to judge and I recommend comparing to that car as you said. Hope I helped!