ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Low oil level light

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-10, 07:06 AM
mddubins
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Low oil level light

I just purchased a very clean 1997 ES300 w/99,000 miles on it. While driving home the low oil level light came on.
It did go off a little time later when exiting the expressway. When I got home I checked the level and it was at the full mark.

The temperature out side was 90°F plus. The speed I was traveling at was 70-75 mph at roughly 2800 rpm's.

The next time I drove the car (a day later) it came on again, and again 85°F outside temperature and 70-75 mph.
On the way home it didn't come on, same speed but the ambient temperature was down to 70°F.

I did some checking and there is a low level switch in the oil pan, but looking at the drawings it shows a double switch. One side appears to be level and the other looks like a temperature switch.

Has anyone had this problem with the oil level light coming on? and by changing the switch taken care of the problem?

The oil level may not be the issue, but it may be oil temperature. In that case what should the engine oil temperature be?

I have thermocouples that I can install and a Raytec temperature reading devise that I can use to check block temperature if needed.

The oil is most likely a base stock oil, and not synthetic oil. By changing to synthetic oil would this allow for better flow and heat rejection?

The dealer is going to change a module that they say is faulty. I can't seem to find the module anywhere in the drawings. I guess I'll let them change it to see what happens.
Old 08-02-10, 08:25 AM
BrandonLs
Driver School Candidate

i have a 93 that does this, and when i check the oil its fine. i just throw a 1/2 quart in it and it doesnt do it anymore
Old 08-02-10, 08:47 AM
Slooooooow
Regional Officer - NTL

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My '92 is doing the same thing right now. I know I'm using a little oil perhaps, and it usually occurs after 3000-5000 miles, right when I'm going to change the oil, so it goes away with the oil change and doesn't occur until right before the next one.

I've found that it happens more on acceleration, which makes me think the sensor is at the front of the oil pan. When I brake, the oil shifts forward, touches the switch and the indicator light goes off.
Old 08-02-10, 02:04 PM
mddubins
Driver School Candidate

The level sensor is in the front of the engine, but on the left side as you are looking from the front end. You can see it through the passenger side lower wheel well. It's about 3" in dia with 4 bolts hold it in. You can see the wire harness plugged into it.

Mine comes on after a while running at constant speed and rpm. It only seems to come on in hotter ambient temperatures and stays off when it's cooler outside. That's why I'm thinking that it could be triggering due to hot oil rather than truly low oil, which I don't have.

I guess I see what the distributor does tomorrow, as they are going to fix it for free. I'll keep everyone informed.
Old 08-04-10, 04:50 AM
mddubins
Driver School Candidate

Well I picked up the car at the distributor and was told it was all done. While driving home, you guessed it, the low oil level light came back on.
I did some looking and the low level switch was not touched. They replaced the oil pressure sender. Funny I never said anything about the low oil pressure light coming on, but they replaced the sender.
I'll be calling again to see if maybe this time thy can fix it.

I'll keep you posted.
Old 08-20-10, 09:07 AM
mddubins
Driver School Candidate

Well I had to take the car back into the distributor so they could check it out themself's. I ended up giving them all the information needed to have the light come on, speed, ambient temperature, rpm's and things like that. Also gave them location and wiring diagram.
Yep, it came on for them so I had to make another appointment for them to install a new sensor. I have not looked under the car if they changed it but they said they did. The low oil level light has not come on so far.