ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

ES300 Original Keys

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-10, 06:39 PM
PFB
Lexus Champion

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Default ES300 Original Keys

I read most of the threads here about the original 2001 ES300 Keys but am somewhat confused.

When I bought the car used 10 months ago, I received two original Lexus transponder keys. One of the keys includes a three button remote, and the other key does not include the remote buttons but is still a transponder key.

So my questions are as follows:

1) If I loose my 3 button Lexus remote key, can I get a duplicate 3 button Lexus transponder key from the dealer, without him having to change my ECU. This assuming that I still have my Non-Remote transponder key in my possession.

2) How much would it cost to get another remote transponder key cost from the dealer. (Including cutting and programming)

3) Would it be cheaper to order a spare 3 button Remote transponder key NOW as long as I still have my working Remote transponder key in my possession

4) Is my Non remote transponder key refereed to as the Valet key?

5) Does anyone know what type of keys, and how many originally came with this car?

Thanks

Phillip

Last edited by PFB; 08-04-10 at 06:43 PM.
Old 08-04-10, 07:07 PM
PlatES300
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by PFB
I read most of the threads here about the original 2001 ES300 Keys but am somewhat confused.

When I bought the car used 10 months ago, I received two original Lexus transponder keys. One of the keys includes a three button remote, and the other key does not include the remote buttons but is still a transponder key.

So my questions are as follows:

1) If I loose my 3 button Lexus remote key, can I get a duplicate 3 button Lexus transponder key from the dealer, without him having to change my ECU. This assuming that I still have my Non-Remote transponder key in my possession.

2) How much would it cost to get another remote transponder key cost from the dealer. (Including cutting and programming)

3) Would it be cheaper to order a spare 3 button Remote transponder key NOW as long as I still have my working Remote transponder key in my possession

4) Is my Non remote transponder key refereed to as the Valet key?

5) Does anyone know what type of keys, and how many originally came with this car?

Thanks

Phillip
one simple answer to all this - as long as you have a master key, you can program additional keys. however, the ECM is limited to the number of keys it can program. I can't remember what the numbers were (I'm sure someone here can chime in) but I think it was 2 master keys and 1 valet key. The main thing to remember is that the ECM can only program a certain amount of keys to start the car. Once it reaches this max number, the only way to program additional keys, should you lose one, is to reflash the ECM and program a new set of keys.

1). Cannot program a master key with a valet key. You must have a master key on hand.

2). Key with transponder alone is around 150.

3). Yes - however, this will do you no good if the max number of keys have been programmed.

4). Yes. Valet key opens the car and starts the car with no access to the glove box or trunk.

5). Not sure on this one, but I think it's the max number of keys the ECM can be programmed with.
Old 08-04-10, 07:18 PM
PFB
Lexus Champion

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

Woow,

Thanks for the response.

Phil

Last edited by PFB; 08-04-10 at 07:38 PM.
Old 08-04-10, 07:59 PM
LarryParker
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PlatES300
Once it reaches this max number, the only way to program additional keys, should you lose one, is to reflash the ECM and program a new set of keys.
Depending on the year of your Lexus, this part is not accurate. If the max keys is reached, a knowledgeable person, using one working master key can delete all keys programmed into the vehicle, except that one key being used to do the deleting. Then the ECM will have space cleared and new keys can be added back in and programmed.

The below page is saying that for 2002 years and later, you can delete keys:

http://www.locksmithcharley.com/toyo...structions.pdf

Scroll 2/3 down the first page where it says how to "Delete all keys other than present master key"