ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

I bought a V1

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-10, 11:08 AM
Benbendx
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default I bought a V1

I don't know how I would power this thing rather then the cigarette adapter.
Old 08-12-10, 12:34 PM
JTS06Z06
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hard wiring a radar detector is simple. Most detectors you can simply use any old phone cable from a normal phone inside your house. Cut off one end with however much wire you think you might need. I forget which wires inside that you will need but if I remember correctly its the red and green one. Simply wire those to a switched 12v power source inside your car. You can use anything really such as the acc wire going to your radio, the acc wire going to your cigarette lighter etc etc. Then run the cable to whereever it is you want your V1 mounted. I think radar detectors are nothing more than a big eye sore so I would mount it somewhere sort of hidden like just under your rear view mirror. Run the phone cable up through your headliner then run it down where the mirror cables come out.

James
Old 08-12-10, 01:33 PM
Benbendx
Pole Position

Man that sounded so complicated
Old 08-12-10, 01:46 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,271 Likes on 1,378 Posts

I don't find any writeups in the ES forum, but there are several in the IS and GS forums on hardwiring a Valentine. If your rear view mirror has power run to it, you can tap it there with the tap that came with your V1 and avoid that long run under the headliner.
Old 08-12-10, 01:56 PM
JTS06Z06
Pole Position

^^^ yeah good call I should have mentioned that. Just simply use a switched ACC wire thats up in your overhead console piece. 3 screws and the thing pops right out and you have very easy access to all the wires in there. Just make sure you locate one that is only powered when the car is on otherwise the detector woll stay powered even when you turn the car off.
Again all you need is a power wire and a ground. 2 wires nothing more. You will have to research furthur on which wire would be suitable to tap into up in that overhead unit.

James
Old 08-12-10, 02:07 PM
GoodRevs
Instructor

Received 46 Likes on 27 Posts

I tapped into the rearview mirror for mine, power on/off with the acc key position. Really simple, you crimp onto the power wire and ground the black wire. Mount above the left side of the mirror, slightly below blue tint. You can buy a direct wire kit for less than $15.
Old 08-12-10, 02:32 PM
Benbendx
Pole Position

I have no clue about what you guys are talking about
Old 08-12-10, 03:40 PM
GoodRevs
Instructor

Received 46 Likes on 27 Posts

Listen to what people have said, you find a wire that provides power to something already in your car (radio, rearview dim mirror, cig lighter etc.) and tap into that. Use the rearview mirror wire, you remove the sunglass holder to access it and crimp onto the wire that provides power to the mirror. You can then ground the black wire onto one of the screws for the sunglass holder assembly. Cropped pics of where my detectors have been positioned in the ES,

Buy this;

http://www.radarbusters.com/radar-de...ctwirecord.cfm

Read this;
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es3...1-es300-3.html

Don't bother with wiring into the fuse box, it's much more complicated and not really necessary. On a scale of 1 to 10 for ease, the method I described is a 1.5. I did this for the first time back when I was 17 with my old Vector on my Caddy, you can do it too.
Old 08-12-10, 10:35 PM
Toofasgtp
Driver

Originally Posted by Benbendx
I have no clue about what you guys are talking about
It is to most the best radar detector you can buy.

And i have mine hardwired with the kit it came with behind the fuse panel on the knee bolster.
Old 08-13-10, 04:15 AM
Maxx941
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Toofasgtp
It is to most the best radar detector you can buy.

And i have mine hardwired with the kit it came with behind the fuse panel on the knee bolster.
Same here, been a wonderful 4 years with mines I would never cheat and consider anything else any longer and I had about 5 other top models in the past.
Anyway it's easy to hardwire it in.
Old 08-17-10, 11:10 AM
Benbendx
Pole Position

Which one do I crimp any wires?
Old 08-17-10, 11:58 AM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

lol just read what these guys posted and its not hard.
Old 08-17-10, 12:01 PM
dragoncoac
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Benbendx
Which one do I crimp any wires?
If you don't have any experience, you have a few options. You can: ask someone on the forum if they are close and are willing to help you or take it to a stereo store and have them charge you big bucks to run and tap 2 wires. Don't go probing around under the dash probing wires. It can be expensive if you poke a wire and deploy an airbag. I've seen it happen. A lot of forum members are willing to help out...just buy them beer or a lunch! Wire location depends on where you plan to mount the V-1 as well. I would take it from the headliner if you were mounting on the visor or top of the windshield. From the fuse panel if you are mounting it low.
Old 08-17-10, 12:20 PM
Benbendx
Pole Position

Haha I don't wanna be pain in the ***
Old 08-17-10, 01:29 PM
dragoncoac
Driver School Candidate

It's not being a pain. You are just asking for a little help. If not, just open your wallet and pull out the money. I'm sure someone is willing to take it.

Quick Reply: I bought a V1