ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Crazy problems plz read

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-02, 08:28 PM
Lexbox
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Crazy problems plz read

Many separate problems actually. They didnt all start at once so I put them in order. Nothing significant has happen, ie wreck, blown fuses.

1. My AC would be running normally and then the noise level would get higher like it would when you make it blow faster. It does the opposite sometimes too. Sounds like a normal level per amount of air blowing and then it would get quieter like I turned it down. Both ways there is no noticeable difference in output. And this doesnt happen when the compressor kicks on or anything.

2. My right turn signal blinks fast. I checked my front/rear blinkers and they seem to work fine other than blinking fast. The lightbulb in the guage cluster even works. Are there any other bulbs except for the 3?

3. My oil light came on and then it went off about 10 seconds later. I dont think this has happened before. So I checked my oil and it was under L. I know... Im sorry. Poor thing. Im an ***. Anyway. I got to looking in the manual for oil recommendations and wound up going with straight 40 or something. No 5w-30 or 10w-30. I dont know what the hell they are or mean. But like I said I just got 40 hd or something at the recommendation of a dragster building high school co-worker. He just got done dropping the v8 from his old charger dragster into a older dodge truck and put around 200 shot on it. It sounds awesome. Just trying to establish his educated opinion. But I dunno if its good for imports because he is into older american muscle engines or something. And when I opened the oil cap it had a nice layer dark gunk lining the inside cavity. What is it called to clean all that crap out. And how far into the engine does all that crap go? How much does it cost to clean the whole inside of the engine? I have some fuel injection cleaner in my car awaiting an oil change per directions. I forgot to mention that it is really hot down here and gets cold cold (25f) maybe 2 weeks out of the winter and winter itself is only about 2-3 months.

4. And then today I get into my car and im goin down the road. I notice the air was blowing cool air but not cold air. You just know when the AC button is off ya know? So I look up and the frickin AC light is flashing!!! wtf Im thinking. So I push the button, it appeared to be off. I pushed it again and the light was steady green and out came the cold air I was looking for. So I came home and posted this thread.

Any advice would be cool.
-Mark-
Old 07-11-02, 08:34 PM
Hermosa
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Crazy problems plz read

Originally posted by MarkBdfrd
[B]Many separate problems actually. They didnt all start at once so I put them in order. Nothing significant has happen, ie wreck, blown fuses.

1. My AC would be running normally and then the noise level would get higher like it would when you make it blow faster. It does the opposite sometimes too. Sounds like a normal level per amount of air blowing and then it would get quieter like I turned it down. Both ways there is no noticeable difference in output. And this doesnt happen when the compressor kicks on or anything.
Sounds normal like the AC is going up and down to achieve the right temperature.

2. My right turn signal blinks fast. I checked my front/rear blinkers and they seem to work fine other than blinking fast. The lightbulb in the guage cluster even works. Are there any other bulbs except for the 3?.
Do you have the right relay?
Old 07-11-02, 08:43 PM
StreetLexus
Driver School Candidate

I just purchased a 1999 ES300 Certified Pre Owned. I have also had the blinking A/C light.

Also, My Left turn signal blinks fast and appears to work correctly? I have no idea what the deal is.
Old 07-11-02, 08:47 PM
Lexbox
Lexus Champion

Do you mean the correct relay or right relay? Either way its all stock. The only thing Ive changed is the battery, some hoses and the rims.
-Mark-

I forgot to mention that the blinker has does the blinking fast 2-3 times and went away on its own.

Last edited by Lexbox; 07-11-02 at 09:21 PM.
Old 07-11-02, 08:48 PM
01M3
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was always under the impression that if your light is blinking fast that it's about to go out? I don't know, maybe that's wrong, but worth a shot.
Old 07-11-02, 10:04 PM
LexFather

Go the the dealer, pay 1hr labor for a full diagnostic check for your problems. Fix it quick before it gets worse.
Old 07-11-02, 11:04 PM
meZoom!
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

about the oil thingie. i hope u didnt put crazy diesel oil in or nuthin. the oil #s (5w-30, etc) mean the viscosity (basically performance) of the oil at different temperatures. the first #, say 5, is its viscosity at low temps, the other # is viscosity at higher temps. ......i wonder if the oil gelling thingie applies to cars overseas.
Old 07-12-02, 12:56 AM
WILB3
Pole Position

Default Re: Crazy problems plz read

Originally posted by MarkBdfrd
3. My oil light came on and then it went off about 10 seconds later. I dont think this has happened before. So I checked my oil and it was under L. -Mark-
To add, 5W-30 will give you the best perfomance in your vehicle for outside temperatures 0-100F. A 40 weight oil is much too heavy. If you want to experiment at all, try a high performance synthetic like Mobil 1 5W-30, GOOD STUFF. MY RULE OF THUMB; I will use heavier weight oils like 10W-30/40 on older cars that run hotter and burn more oil.
Old 07-12-02, 05:40 AM
LEXBERG
Pole Position

The light blinking fast does mean that it's about to burn out the same thing happened to me/ You might just have to replace the bulb or the entire socket, the bulb alone $8.00 entire socket $62
Old 07-12-02, 07:50 AM
bizarreRide
Driver

With the A/C thing, do you have it set on a fan setting, or is it on Auto and regulating the temperature itself? If it's on Auto, it will cycle up and down to keep the temp you set it to.

If it's just on one of the fan settings, it could just be that some other electrical device is taking some juice away from the A/C...does this happen when you turn on the radio or roll up a window or something? I notice this happening alot...one electrical part pulling away power from another.

bR
Old 07-15-02, 06:17 PM
Lexbox
Lexus Champion

I never put it on auto.
Old 07-15-02, 06:37 PM
Hermosa
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by bizarreRide
With the A/C thing, do you have it set on a fan setting, or is it on Auto and regulating the temperature itself? If it's on Auto, it will cycle up and down to keep the temp you set it to.

If it's just on one of the fan settings, it could just be that some other electrical device is taking some juice away from the A/C...does this happen when you turn on the radio or roll up a window or something? I notice this happening alot...one electrical part pulling away power from another.

bR
Sounds like a charging system that is not up to par or a bad ground. How old is your Lex? There have been positive reports here about people getting rid of electrical ghosts by putting on new terminal wires.