ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Buying a 2000 ES300 tomorrow, Suggestions!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-10, 07:38 AM
JTS06Z06
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Regarding the idle at start that is kinda interesting not sure what thats about. I know on cold starts its normal for the high idle however it should still be smooth.

I bought my 00 Plat ES with 103,000 miles on original plugs and it would run perfectly smooth on cold starts (well it ran smooth all the time for that matter). I changed the plugs after buying the car using OEM's and its still 100% smooth all the time. Might have a slight miss or something I bet new plugs would fix that problem right up.

James
Old 08-28-10, 11:15 AM
D-Boi
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

just brought the car home and she sure looks beautiful, drives great runs great the only thing i noticed is that around the timing belt area there is a squeek that sounds like its comping from a pulley, is this the pulleys they recommend you replacing with the timing belt, its right around the highest area of the timing belt cover there is a squeek. i think new TB pulleys and a tuneup and hopefully many more trouble free miles.
Old 08-28-10, 11:51 AM
Timothyj
Pole Position

happy for you, also check Fox toyota in Rochester mi. They will work your Lexus es. Good dealer and service had work on my 04 es, service, their. Sometimes Meade lexus is cheaper. you have a very good car for the money, take care.
Tim
Old 08-28-10, 11:58 AM
D-Boi
Lexus Test Driver

hey thanks Tim i appreciate your positive comments sir, you enjoy yours as well and thanks for the heads up on Fox Toyota. I really like the Meade guys as well, good folks especially Charlie Treba, he's a good guy. I was there yesterday and convinced a couple form Ohio to purchase a car from him lol.
Old 08-29-10, 10:17 AM
D-Boi
Lexus Test Driver

Quick Update:

I removed the PCV valve and it looks to be the original one and extremely dirty, even pointing a light down the hole seems to be kind of dirty down there, could this be more evidence of sludge, and if so what oil should i use to clean it out, the pennzoil one advertises up to 40 percent of sludge clean up, but i dont know how accurate that is.
Old 08-29-10, 03:32 PM
Audacity
Driver

Why are there "two inches" of maintenance records from the dealer? Sounds like it may have been abused......Did you buy it "certified" from the Lexus dealer with a warranty? Good luck with her - I love my 2000ES with 113,000 miles.
Old 08-29-10, 03:55 PM
D-Boi
Lexus Test Driver

it was things such as oil changes, tire rotations tire balancing brakes cel lights fluid changes, all kinds off things that she had taken it for even a cracked mirror she had taken it to the dealer. no it was not certified they only do that with low mileage cars tey dont give you warranty on a 6500 dollar car, i could have purchases it but whats the point of paying 1800 for 2 years, hell if the motor blows my buddy owns a junkyard i can find a low mileage one for a few hundred bucks.
Old 08-30-10, 10:32 PM
D-Boi
Lexus Test Driver

i cant get past how clean this car really is and i love the fact that its got OEM HID's when even my GS didnt come with them, i had a new set of led license plate lights left and i think im going to put those on and thats about it, everything else i do to it is going to be maintanance, i wont add any wheels or mess with the ride height. i will take some pics tomorrow and post them
Old 09-01-10, 07:32 AM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 438 Likes on 361 Posts

Nice purchase! I didn't know the ES came with HID's? This might sound like a weird question, but how come the 97-01 ES' still go for so much money? I really want one but the prices are higher than most SC's, GS', and LS' that I see around the same year. The pre-97 ES' are pretty cheap though.
Old 09-01-10, 09:06 AM
intermec
Intermediate

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

so which one drives better? smoother? stronger? ES or GS
Old 09-01-10, 12:00 PM
D-Boi
Lexus Test Driver

well the GS drives better, it has alot more power and is a heavier car so it feels like it hugs the road better, however the ES is a little more fun to drive because you can see clearly out of all windows, i guess it was designed that way. However the GS has 150k on it and has seen some abuse by my brother so its in not the best shape while the ES is in mint condition which is a joy to drive. The GS has the telescoping wheel which is sweet plus the radio controls are closer and the armrest on the GS is a little big higher and more comfortable. Overall however they are both sweet and i love driving them. I will keep buying lexus cars for as long as i am able to purchase cars, if i become super poor ill still drive a toyota lol. I hate american cars with a passion, unless its a ford mustang. i love german cars but theyre just very poor quality ive owned 2 audis 3 benz's and 1 bmw and i hated them all they were money pits.
Old 09-01-10, 12:05 PM
D-Boi
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Kira X
Nice purchase! I didn't know the ES came with HID's? This might sound like a weird question, but how come the 97-01 ES' still go for so much money? I really want one but the prices are higher than most SC's, GS', and LS' that I see around the same year. The pre-97 ES' are pretty cheap though.
You know i had no idea about this as well, when i was looking for a second lexus i actually wanted to get an LS or an IS i wasnt really looking at the ES. Howver when i drove by the dealer one night at like 2 in the morning and saw this thing i kind of got interested in them and did some shopping around for the ES's and yes they do hold alot of value. Could be because the car is very reliable but then again all Lexus' are. Maybe its the classic design of it or the fact that its a front wheel drive and can be accomodating in bad weather such as we have here in michigan.
Old 09-02-10, 08:54 PM
Timothyj
Pole Position

Your car is cleaner then my 04 es with 75000 miles. I have lots of chips in the front, a few small dings, hood dent from x wife, covered by front end mask or bra, bought that at Meade Lexus, interior is mint. Mich. winters and roads are hell on cars. Dark blue hard to keep looking good. Best car I ever owned. Runs great. I looked at your car, very clean. I think your year es is better built then the 04. Take care and have fun with your car.
Tim
Old 09-03-10, 06:52 PM
5ltrbeater
Driver

where are the pix????? im salivating! i have to wait till tax season to go buy mine!
Old 09-03-10, 09:41 PM
D-Boi
Lexus Test Driver

oh i created another thread with pics, heres the link

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es3...some-pics.html

dont mind the title i posted it on the GS forum so i had to title it that way then the mods moved it here