ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Theft Deterrent

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-10, 09:01 PM
epicaudio
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Theft Deterrent

Would a Theft Deterrent system make it so the fuel pump would not engage or am i just dragging on the obvious task of having to replace the fuel pump.

Car is a 1991 ES250.Turns over but i dont hear the pump turn on and there is a light on the dash that comes on when it turns over that looks like it makes the headlight and tailights flash. Any ideas would be a great help!
Old 08-29-10, 09:15 PM
88Legend
Pole Position

The theft deterrent systems in cars that old don't cut off the fuel pump. Most just stop the car from turning over.

If you are sure you are not getting fuel then it might be worth checking the fuel pump fuse and the main relay which controls the fuel pump among other things. Sometimes the solder goes bad in relays and keeps the fuel pump from getting power.

But with the car that old it is probably the fuel pump that is bad.

Lets let others chime in and see what they say.
Old 08-30-10, 10:55 AM
epicaudio
Driver School Candidate

UPDATE! i have tested the fuel pump by putting 12v straight to the pump from the wires that come into the rear seat! The pmp turned on but sounded weak...I then tested the wires that attach to these wires and there is no current coming through them I already have the interior ot of the car to clean the car of all the rat and mouse bodies plus replace the carpet thats all messed up. Where is the fuse for the fuel pump located and where is the Relay located!
Old 08-30-10, 11:25 AM
88Legend
Pole Position

So the fuel pump works when direct wired but the wires connected to it are not getting power?

Honestly I don't know much about the ES250. I have only worked on a 2000 ES. The main relay on most cars should be under the drivers dash area if you take off the lower panel. And check all the fuse areas under the hood and any in the car. (Probably in the drivers foot well.) Good luck.
Old 08-30-10, 04:35 PM
angmedic91
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by epicaudio
UPDATE! i have tested the fuel pump by putting 12v straight to the pump from the wires that come into the rear seat! The pmp turned on but sounded weak...I then tested the wires that attach to these wires and there is no current coming through them I already have the interior ot of the car to clean the car of all the rat and mouse bodies plus replace the carpet thats all messed up. Where is the fuse for the fuel pump located and where is the Relay located!
I think I know what your problem is bro. You stated rat and mouse bodies? Damn, well, you said pump works when direct wired, but no current from the wires that connect to the fuel pump. Those rats and mice more than likely chewed up your wires bro. Very common for them to do this, you may have other issues of the fuel pump not working, other things may not work if the critters chewed up your wiring. Good luck bro.
Old 08-30-10, 05:10 PM
epicaudio
Driver School Candidate

reran all the wires today and it still does the same thing even made a new ground cause they chewed through the area behind the pillar where it was grounded before!
Old 08-30-10, 06:41 PM
dragoncoac
Driver School Candidate

You can't just run wires. You need to identify where the break/short is. It may be in more than one place.
Old 09-01-10, 06:51 AM
epicaudio
Driver School Candidate

OK so i admit i may not be the sharpest tool in the shed...but even this made me feel stupid......There is a Fuel shutoff switch located in the trunk on the passenger side wall. I called a local lexus dealer and told them the same little story like what i have above....Well they told me just to check this switch....I should have done this first they continued to say....So after all the work i have done replacing fuses relays and wiring all that i needed to do was push a stupid little button to reset the fuel system. SO ALL IS CALM HERE IN New Hampshire.......Now the rebulid begins...... Wish me Luck ill get some pics up as i rebuild to show people the progress!
Old 09-01-10, 05:27 PM
angmedic91
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for the update, now others who have a similar issue, may use this thread to help them out. Thank you.
Old 09-01-10, 07:18 PM
88Legend
Pole Position

Wow I would of never guessed that. Like I said I don't know much about the ES250s. I can't think of any regular posters here with one either.

Good to know about that switch though. Like said above this thread will probably help someone out in the future.