ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Picking out HID's for the 3ES (2001)

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-10, 11:49 AM
D-Boi
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

WOW its really not that hard to put HID's on a halogen bulb car. Just go to ddmtuning.com, their kits are 29.99 plus 15 bucks for shipping and they have lifetime warranty i have used them on my lexus' for the past 4 years without any problems. find out what bulb type you have and get the kit in either 8000 or 6000 watts the 8k is not as bright but has a blue tint while the 6k is brighter and more oem looking. No you wont blind other drivers it doesnt look ridiculous, and they work just fine cut off or no cut off it will work just fine!!!! I cannot tell the difference when my buddys gs430 is in my driveway and my 99 GS3 with an HID kit is next to his they look the same and when you drive they look the same. If anyone says different tell them to come by ill show them in person. Again its

Ddmtuning.com find out what size bulb you have (probably 9006) and get either 8k or 6k and just slap them on there it will literally take you 10 minutes to put them in.

Thanks and have a nice day.

here you go check out the site you just have to put color type and bulb type, id stick with 35 watts instead of 50, actually the price dropped to 25 bucks from 29

http://www.ddmtuning.com/Products/Ap...Raptor-HID-Kit

Last edited by D-Boi; 09-06-10 at 11:54 AM.
Old 09-06-10, 12:14 PM
PlatES300
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by D-Boi
WOW its really not that hard to put HID's on a halogen bulb car. Just go to ddmtuning.com, their kits are 29.99 plus 15 bucks for shipping and they have lifetime warranty i have used them on my lexus' for the past 4 years without any problems. find out what bulb type you have and get the kit in either 8000 or 6000 watts the 8k is not as bright but has a blue tint while the 6k is brighter and more oem looking. No you wont blind other drivers it doesnt look ridiculous, and they work just fine cut off or no cut off it will work just fine!!!! I cannot tell the difference when my buddys gs430 is in my driveway and my 99 GS3 with an HID kit is next to his they look the same and when you drive they look the same. If anyone says different tell them to come by ill show them in person. Again its

Ddmtuning.com find out what size bulb you have (probably 9006) and get either 8k or 6k and just slap them on there it will literally take you 10 minutes to put them in.

Thanks and have a nice day.

here you go check out the site you just have to put color type and bulb type, id stick with 35 watts instead of 50, actually the price dropped to 25 bucks from 29

http://www.ddmtuning.com/Products/Ap...Raptor-HID-Kit
it's not the fact that it's hard to install an HID kit, but we all prefer to get the OEM housing as to not blind oncoming traffic. I'll admit that I have an HID kit in mine and I aimed mine extra low as to not blind others on the road. If I had the choice, I would definitely go with the OEM HID housings as I have in the past. And I would not recommend ddmtuning for a kit. I've heard horror stories from there. Get one from a vendor on here and you should be good.
Old 09-06-10, 05:44 PM
D-Boi
Lexus Test Driver

i havent had any issues with mine and here is the list of cars i have had them in

1. 1998 champagne lexus gs300

2. 1999 black lexus gs 300

3. 1999 silver lexus gs 300

4. 2002 yukon denali

5. 2001 regular yukon

6. 2004 pontiac grand am

7. 2009 impala ss

8. 2001 jeep cherokee

9 2005 chrysler 300 touring and 300c

10. 1997 ford mustang

half these cars are mine and the other half are family, and i bought all my kits from ddm without any issues. I have used them for years, maybe i got lucky and nothing burned out, but i doubt i would have luck with 10 different cars and thats just a few i have plenty of freinds that buy their kits with no issues.

However they are all the same made in china there is no difference, so i would rather spend 25 bucks on a kit than 80 when its all CHINESE product. The moral of the story is not where you buy it from but that an HID kit can be easily installed on Alex's car and he can enjoy it without having to spend an arm and a leg.
Old 09-06-10, 05:45 PM
Coulter
Intermediate

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

I bought an HID "plug and play" type kit for my 99 ES300, and I think it's a great addition. I get what people are saying about the beam pattern, but I still think it's a great upgrade, and I would rate visibility around the same as the standard halogens for nighttime viewing. I just tilted mine down slightly, and it hasn't been an issue.

Let's be honest, the main reason for HID is "the look". I never thought standard headlights insufficiently lit up the road for me to see properly. Unless you have poor eyesight, standard halogens do their job. What I wanted was to update the look of my car, and it did.

I bought a kit that was around $65 that was 6000k, it's white with a hint of blue. I would steer away from the "ultra-cheap" kits, and I also wouldn't go much above 6000k, it screams ricer imo, but to each his own.

I just can't justify spending $600-$800 bucks for an OEM setup, even though I'm sure it lights up the road better. I've owned cars with OEM HIDs before, and while it's better, it's just not that important. I have no trouble seeing the road at night with either.
Old 09-06-10, 05:50 PM
D-Boi
Lexus Test Driver

Smile

Originally Posted by coulter
i bought an hid "plug and play" type kit for my 99 es300, and i think it's a great addition. I get what people are saying about the beam pattern, but i still think it's a great upgrade, and i would rate visibility around the same as the standard halogens for nighttime viewing. I just tilted mine down slightly, and it hasn't been an issue.

Let's be honest, the main reason for hid is "the look". I never thought standard headlights insufficiently lit up the road for me to see properly. Unless you have poor eyesight, standard halogens do their job. What i wanted was to update the look of my car, and it did.

I bought a kit that was around $65 that was 6000k, it's white with a hint of blue. I would steer away from the "ultra-cheap" kits, and i also wouldn't go much above 6000k, it screams ricer imo, but to each his own.

I just can't justify spending $600-$800 bucks for an oem setup, even though i'm sure it lights up the road better. I've owned cars with oem hids before, and while it's better, it's just not that important. I have no trouble seeing the road at night with either.
+++++++++++1
Old 09-06-10, 06:06 PM
Maxx941
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

PnP kits do glare more especially in rainy conditions when the light reflects alot more off the ground. And while yes you will see better with HID in general, there is a reason why they create actual HID housing to properly aim and project the extra lumens HID provides.
Old 09-08-10, 07:42 PM
GoodRevs
Instructor

Received 46 Likes on 27 Posts

Back when I was looking at HID assemblies, the left (driver side) was far more common than the right passenger side. Now it seems things are reversed judging from ebay. Take a look at this one,

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/00-01...Q5fAccessories
Old 09-08-10, 08:05 PM
eyezack87
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

To anyone who agrees that HID kits are for "looks", do a comparison of a before and after with a proper projector bulb. Obviously, non-hid reflector housings don't show much difference other than the amount of glare produced. YOU may think that you are not glaring at all, but in reality, you are blinding oncoming drivers and anyone you are following with a really bright light. You are making it unsafe for others. If you can follow a car and see part of the persons head in front of you, you're glaring. As for D-Boi, I had all those cars you listed follow me at one point in my driving career with HID kits in them. They all suck and glare like mad

To the OP, stay courteous and get a proper housing, whether OEM-HID housing or custom. You'll save the rest of the drivers in the world that have to deal with the people who put HIDs in the non-hid reflector housings
Old 09-08-10, 08:27 PM
AMAlex
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I definitely have my options. Going to have to think this one out reeeeal good.
Old 09-08-10, 08:41 PM
Coulter
Intermediate

Originally Posted by eyezack87
To anyone who agrees that HID kits are for "looks", do a comparison of a before and after with a proper projector bulb. Obviously, non-hid reflector housings don't show much difference other than the amount of glare produced. YOU may think that you are not glaring at all, but in reality, you are blinding oncoming drivers and anyone you are following with a really bright light. You are making it unsafe for others. If you can follow a car and see part of the persons head in front of you, you're glaring. As for D-Boi, I had all those cars you listed follow me at one point in my driving career with HID kits in them. They all suck and glare like mad

To the OP, stay courteous and get a proper housing, whether OEM-HID housing or custom. You'll save the rest of the drivers in the world that have to deal with the people who put HIDs in the non-hid reflector housings
I know in my case, I'm not "blinding" other drivers in any way. I've seen my car from another driver's seat position at night, and it's fine. I've yet to have a single driver even flash me.

It's certainly no where NEAR what it looks like when another car has left their high beams on and is coming at you in oncoming traffic, and it's not like I instantly get in a car wreck when a situation like that happens anyway.

I would just say to point your beams down slightly and you'll be fine. I certainly wouldn't spend $800 on an OEM kit because you're afraid you'll leave a trail of dead bodies in your path.
Old 09-08-10, 09:58 PM
eyezack87
Lexus Test Driver

People are either ignorant or don't know what glare is and they think its "normal". That is your answer to why people don't flash you. That argument never works in a real lighting forum

The reason why I'm fighting so hard against non-oem hid reflectors is because I see it all the time in SoCal on the freeway. You get crap light since the housing doesn't focus the light correctly as well as glare. I see Hondas and Lexus all the time with improper stuff like that
Old 09-08-10, 10:01 PM
GoodRevs
Instructor

Received 46 Likes on 27 Posts

To sum it up for the OP...Reasons NOT to do HID's in Halogen housings;

1. Illegal (This should be your #1 priority)
2. Glare for oncoming drivers
3. Poor beam pattern
4. May not pass inspection

At this point I don't really think you have much of an option.
Old 09-08-10, 10:18 PM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by GoodRevs
To sum it up for the OP...Reasons NOT to do HID's in Halogen housings;

1. Illegal (This should be your #1 priority)
2. Glare for oncoming drivers
3. Poor beam pattern
4. May not pass inspection

At this point I don't really think you have much of an option.
Sorry, but where is this illegal?
If it were i think there would be MANY cars off the road...

Glare? There's more glare coming from the minivan/pickup following behind me during nighttime to the point its hard to see - with halogens...

Beam pattern? Sure its ****ty, but output is significantly better [IMO] vs. halogen.

Inspection? Yeah it would pass, as long as you aren't a hack and have a wire harness or something unnecessary running under the hood - it will pass.
Old 09-08-10, 10:38 PM
eyezack87
Lexus Test Driver

In the past, mobileHID (Cliff) specifically stated in multiple warnings that HID kits are for "offroading use only" and not for street use. They are illegal if not installed on OEM HID equipped cars.

Glare from high cars is a given bud. Try rolling in front of any year Civic with them. In fact, I'll grab a picture of one for you this Saturday on a 2010 model. Its been aimed way down and still shoots out glare.
Old 09-08-10, 11:01 PM
Coulter
Intermediate

Originally Posted by eyezack87
In the past, mobileHID (Cliff) specifically stated in multiple warnings that HID kits are for "offroading use only" and not for street use. They are illegal if not installed on OEM HID equipped cars.

Glare from high cars is a given bud. Try rolling in front of any year Civic with them. In fact, I'll grab a picture of one for you this Saturday on a 2010 model. Its been aimed way down and still shoots out glare.
The "legality" risk is up to the individual user, but in my state there are no inspections and no cop will EVER write up a car for having non-oem HID lights, so it's a moot point for me and most people.

Just like your LED tailights you put on your car are not DOT approved, but it doesn't matter because no one is ever going to write you a ticket for it.

BTW, I hope your brighter than stock, non-DOT approved led brake lights don't blind someone and cause an accident.

Quick Reply: Picking out HID's for the 3ES (2001)