ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Diy LED Mirrow Turn Signals

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-10, 08:02 PM
es30000000
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Diy LED Mirrow Turn Signals

So I've always liked the look of mirror signals so I decided to make my own..

I ordered 2 4.7" white led strips from oznium.com (great company)

My first step was to take off the door panels, to do so you pop off the little plastic cover by the hinges which reveals a screw underneath. Unscrew then take a screw driver and pop off the window and door lock panel, and there is a gold screw that you unscrew, next there is a small cover in the door handle that you pop off and unscrew the screw under it. Then take a screwdriver and slide it inbetween the panel and the sheet metal and pry the door panel off which has plastic screws that pop right off. Next take off the tweeter cover and then the door panel should lift off.

Next you unbolt the bolt holding the tweeter into place, it is a 10mm. There should be three more bolts remaining that hold the mirror in. Unbolt them and disconnect the mirror wire harness from the clip. Then pull the mirror off the car. Next you should push at the top of the mirror glass until you can see two little indents in the white plastic behind the glass. Take a screwdriver and pry on each indent and the glass should pop right off without breaking. Next unscrew the four little screws holding the plastic motor in place, unplug the cords underneath the motor and disconnect the cords attached to the mirror to give you space to drill. Next plan out your holes.. the strip comes with 12 LEDS but can be cut at every 3 so my mirrors each have 9 LEDS. I drilled the 9 Holes with about 5/16" space inbetween each. Then i placed the strip into each hole and applied clear silicone caulking to hold it in place and clamped them down. I ran the wire along side the other wires in the mirror housing, then underneath some weather-gaurd and up a rubber boot, then through the hole for the mirror wiring harness, under the rubber seals on the door then underneath the plastic trim along side of the doors and into the trunk on each side at the tail lamps, I then found the two wires for each blinker, white with black stripe was ground and green with yellow stripe is power. I spliced into each wire, taped and then put the plastic trunk pieces together and everything works properly with only about 2.5" of exposed wire on each side.

total cost was about 15$

Sorry for crappy iPhone Pics

Final Product, Much brighter and sexier in person! Let me know what you think

Heres a couple more photos: including a close up, a little bit of how to holes look on the inside, and the part of the route I used to wire them to the tail lights

well i've tried about 5 times to post these pictures but won't work. what do you guys use to upload? i've been using imageshack

Last edited by es30000000; 09-14-10 at 12:59 PM. Reason: Added Pictures
Old 09-13-10, 10:07 PM
MrGalione9
Rookie

anyway you can post a little more pictures with detailed information, because i have been waiting for something like this for a while... and i have some shark racing led strips i wanna add behind the mirror film, but i also wanna find the best way to remove the housing without damaging the glass, (already did my passenger side)

PVu78

Last edited by MrGalione9; 09-14-10 at 07:27 AM. Reason: update
Old 09-13-10, 10:24 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Those are nice. have any better pics?
Old 09-14-10, 07:36 AM
scotholden
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is great! I've always wanted to do this to my 98ES, but didn't know if it was possible. More pictures, if you have them, would be great! Probably gonna be my next project on my car
Old 09-14-10, 08:04 AM
intermec
Intermediate

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

how about some close up on the mirror?
Old 09-14-10, 01:02 PM
es30000000
Pole Position

Originally Posted by intermec
how about some close up on the mirror?
http://img801.imageshack.us/i/013sfn.jpg/

and to scotholden, go for it man! it's awesome and I love it! feel free to contact me with any questions as this is actually the second time I have had to do the passenger side because as soon as I wired it up the first time and turned it on the middle three LEDS did not work so I contacted Oznium and they sent me a new one for free right away! So if you have any questions feel free to ask
Old 09-14-10, 01:04 PM
JTS06Z06
Pole Position

post more pics I actually wanna see those wheels on your car more than anything lol
Old 09-14-10, 03:11 PM
Maxx941
Lexus Test Driver

Looks good Nice Job.
Old 09-14-10, 07:50 PM
es30000000
Pole Position

heres a few, I know I have some more but I cant find em.

Old 09-14-10, 09:34 PM
eyezack87
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice job. I was thinking of adding this to my Camry for the courtesy lights since its pretty much identical process as adding LED turns. This deserves a sticky in our thread
Old 09-15-10, 06:07 AM
AMAlex
Pole Position

Looks pretty cool, and for 15 bucks, why not! I would like to get some up close daylight pics of the mirrors though.
Old 09-15-10, 01:23 PM
es30000000
Pole Position

Smile

Here are a few close ups for those of you who are interested, once again sorry for the iPhone pictures. It's my only option because idk where the family camera is and I don't have my own cause I'm only 16 and don't want one lol.

Here are some more install pics..

How I routed the wiring, same on both sides. Behind the rubber as shown and into the beige trim peices inside

Unscrew these 3 screws so you can fish the wire from the LED strip to the base of the mirror and into the car.

This picture shows the 3 bolts needed to remove and tighten the mirror. I just used the large hole that the mirror wiring harness goes through and put the wire through that.

Perfect glass fitment

Make sure when putting the panel back on that the two harnesses get through that hole. Put the two screws in, 1 by the handle and one beneath the handle in the opening.

Plug in harnesses and snap window controls back into place.

This shows the mirror motor. The 4 red circles show the location of the 4 screws you need to remove to get that out. Once the screws are removed uplug engine wire harness. The two blue circles arent meant to show you exactly where you need to pry on when the glass is still on to get it to pop off.

Door panel fits perfect!

Final product!

Hopefully thats enough pictures and descriptions to satisfy you guys!
Old 09-16-10, 09:08 PM
MrGalione9
Rookie

hey did you drill the holes on the sides of the mirror? and also, did/do you have any pictures of removing the mirror/glass from the side mirrors? i had a very difficult time doing it when i tried to install some shark racing arrow led's on the sides... and if u have AIM OR Yahoo/Google chat, send me your username, i gotta ask some questions
Old 09-17-10, 07:56 AM
intermec
Intermediate

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

how about adding one more row of LED? more visible?
Old 09-17-10, 01:03 PM
es30000000
Pole Position

Originally Posted by intermec
how about adding one more row of LED? more visible?
Honestly that would look terrible. And during daylight it's definitely bright enough to see and very visible. At night it is EXTREMELY bright.

Quick Reply: Diy LED Mirrow Turn Signals