ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

What Problems Had or Have with your ES?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-03, 05:58 PM
juan01
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

96 ES w/65,000 (just hit it yesterday)

-body would be in pristine condition if it wasn't for my carelessness and accidents
- cvboot things/valve cover gasket - labor was $$$$
- wood near shifter is cracking
- cd changer stopped working
- cupholder thingy broke because i forced in a bigger than allowed water bottle

just small things in general
Old 12-29-03, 06:45 PM
GATO
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

how about the pillars that peel between the windows

EL GATO
Old 12-29-03, 07:31 PM
lexusk8
Lexus Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

Good to bring an old and helpful thread back

2001 ES 300 (80,000+ miles)

- tailight bulb burnt out (replaced myself)
- bad charcoal canister which led to CEL and TRAC OFF lights (dealer replaced)
- various paint chips on hood (touched-up myself with Autovisuals paint pen)
- F/R rotors resurfaced (done by dealer)
- transmission fluid flushed and filled (done by dealer)
- battery replaced at 78K

* (2) A/C console bulbs burnt out (will replace soon)
* plastic seat memory control mount on passenger side broken (controls still work)
* occasional condensation in foglights after car wash or heavy rainfall
* F/R rotors rusting (sign for replacement?)
Old 12-30-03, 11:30 AM
Burnout86
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

93 es300

problems found/fixed:
-cracked radiator
-intake tube split (tuner shop did this and resealed it with some duct tape, bastards!)
-passenger door wont open from outside ($6 plastic clip from dealership)

currently being fixed are my windows.
-drivers regulator ($160, is this bull?)
-passenger switch (they say its $71 for the switch)
-behind driver: i guess before we bought the car this window regulator broke, and its $400 to replace becus its a 1-piece with the motor. so they decided not to fix it but tie up the window so it stays up and disconnect the motor. well they didnt put the plastic sheet/covering back on the door so water has been getting into the door and ruined a perfectly good motor. Im going to take this door switch and see if it works in the front passenger.

problems going to fix:
-exhuast leak, going custom exhaust instead of new rip-off OEM
-new custom intake tube, screw the dealership
-motor mounts are worn
-cv's are knocking, another rape in the butt by the dealership, but i have to get this fixed

and thats it really. all pretty major stuff, nothing minor.
interior is still perfect, paint is perfect. lights are good, radio is good
Old 12-31-03, 03:39 PM
Davtown
Lexus Champion

99 ES300 - 50,000 miles
Length of Ownership - 9 months

Problems - None so far.

For all the people that posted about their Burned out Dash Needles back when this thread started in July of '02... well now we have O.L.T.
Old 01-20-04, 12:49 PM
NYC ES3
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Exclamation REPAIR LIST

1997 ES300 / 68K mi / owned since 2000, got it with 35K on it..........NOT BAD I must say but :

I wont list stuff like batteries dying and taillights burning out or rotor resurfacing cause.....Hey Batteries Die!- they are meant to,.lights burn out!--(same reason)....thats what they do...rotor resurface is from usage so that doesnt count.............(friction) .......so on with my real problems:

So Far:

-Both valve cover gaskets
-Rear main seal
-(B-pillar)panel between doors (on outside) paint lifting on small spot
-rear window defogger not working

The rear defogger is recent and is pissing me off....(its so damn cold I cant even investigate what may be wrong to fix it)
also Rear main seal is leaking but oil aint pouring out.....Not a bad leak at all...........but a pain to fix and big job ....so I'm waiting for the spring for that one.

thats all ...my baby's been good to me....maybe cause I've been X-tra good to her..........
I changed all the gaskets in the front of the engine at 54K mi.........along with the timing belt,tensioner and pulleys,all struts and new spings(H&R), plugs/wires, flushed the coolant system and replaced all fluids. New water pump/thermostat
changed all belts...new tranny filter,gasket and fluid....basically gave her the works at 54K

Shoulda did the damn rear mail seal while I was at it!...aggghhh...Duh

Last edited by NYC ES3; 01-20-04 at 01:00 PM.
Old 01-20-04, 06:05 PM
DuneDain
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

when I first got my car I replaced the timing belt, rear brakes, and the power steering switch. Theres was a leak that was very very gradual and not even noticeable coming from the top part of the engine and my mechanic figured it was the power steering switch so hopefully that will take care of the problem I just have to keep my eye on the fluid level in the engine and what not. Other than that the car has been great and was kept in a heated garage from the previous owner.
Old 01-20-04, 06:22 PM
pkchin
Driver

1998 es300
46,200 miles

Replaced front bulbs (myself)
Front Marker lights (myself)
Philips screw fell out from seat (myself)
Rear marker lights (myself)
Rear ended and slight damage to rear driverside quarter panel (some idiot kid driving too fast ) but body shop did a great job

Other than that, just basic maintenace stuff (hmmm actually the bulbs could also be considered that)
Old 01-26-04, 06:43 AM
pushpin30
Driver School Candidate

new 2004 lexus es330 with less than 5000 miles on it.

drivers seat makes squeaky sound--fixed--took 2 tries to the dealership
cars pulls to the left--still not fixed yet after 3 tries to the dealership--the said they did the alignment twice.
car bounce up-down at low speed, feels like I'm driving in a bumpy road even though it's flat--not fixed after 3 tries--they never did balancing
rear sunshade does not go up properly--not fixed after 3 tries--they tried greasing the whole damn motor mechanism.
left side mirror only dims partially--not fixed
clicking noise whenever car hits bump in 6 different places--very annoying--not fixed yet
car very unstable in highway speed--not fixed, I mean I drove ****ty cars before, but this is way worse, my 1990 honda accord if far more stable, even my brother's 1996 towncar is more stable, if there is even mild cross wind, the car will not be stable when driving > 55-60 mph.

So as you can see, I'm not too happy with my car, and this Friday I'm going to the dealership again hoping for some fixing, wish me luck.
Old 01-26-04, 05:35 PM
lexusk8
Lexus Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts
Unhappy Ouch!

pushpin, sorry to hear you've run into ridiculous problems with your '04 ES. I know everyone agrees here, but the car should have been delivered to you in flawless condition, and unfortunately the dealership didn't live up to their expectations. Did you get the ES from Bay Ridge? This almost sounds like a "typical" Lexus sold from BR (pardon the generalization)
Old 01-26-04, 05:41 PM
TCwindom
Pole Position

LED needles out in dash
ALL climate control bulbs out
replaced struts
replaced cv axles
Leaking power steering fluid
Factory CD player stopped working
Oil leak currently
Had to replace tranny recently
Leather seats have been replaced
Carpet is crap
Passenger side speaker has been replaced
Driver and passenger side windows are off center... which causes the doors to close incorrectly.
Paint on hood began to flake off a while back (has been painted since)
ummm.... probably more... I just can't think of anything else at the moment.

Heh... yeah
Old 01-27-04, 06:51 PM
cablemanjones
Driver School Candidate

'01 ES300, 32k miles

Dos problemos:

1. loud popping noise from the dash, mainly in wintertime. Sounds like a stone hitting the windshield. One time, I had my finger resting on the woodgrain portion of the radio and actually felt the pop when it happened. I guess it's from a change in temperature or something.

2. Darn Bridgestones wore out after 30k miles.

Otherwise, no problems.
Old 01-30-04, 03:48 AM
pushpin30
Driver School Candidate

yea, I got my car from Bay Ridge, and after this experience, I don't think I'll get another Lexus anymore.
Old 01-31-04, 02:16 AM
tonytony
Driver

2000 ES w/40k for 3mths

- Wire lose in radio faceplate, replaced headunit by dealership
- Same popping noise as cableman, thinking it has something with cold too
- Pulls to the right, don't know what is causing it, taking to dealership about it
- Transmission is "funny", fellow CLers are suggesting its the VVT-i getting use to my driving, I'm thinking the cold is affecting it as well, dealership will have to check it out for me
- Remote key's trunk button refuses to work in the cold

Even with the above and trying to figure out everything about the vehicle and getting it "perfect", I am definitly loving the car. Although my first love will always be my baby, 96 Dodge Stratus =), *sigh* which due to cost of repairs was just not meant to be. I drove a 98 Camry right after that and just abhorred the experience. I don't know why, I just didn't like it at all. Its funny, when I got in the Lexus, I feel in love with the interior and the pure smoothness of the ride. Smooth as silk and stable as a rock.
Old 01-31-04, 08:54 AM
DuneDain
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

I saw you guys mention bayridge a few times and I was just curious to know what the deal with them was? And pushpin I dunno if I would count out lexus' just yet. I personally think they are the best cars in the world and consumer reports rates them very high. Obviously the choice is yours but just consider sticking with lexus. I think your situation was a very very rare case but if lexus cares about their customers, which I am pretty sure they do, they should make it right with you and fix your car so it's perfect. just my .02.

Quick Reply: What Problems Had or Have with your ES?