ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

What Problems Had or Have with your ES?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-04, 12:33 PM
EGainer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by pushpin30
yea, I got my car from Bay Ridge, and after this experience, I don't think I'll get another Lexus anymore.
what was so bad that you wont get another lexus?
Old 01-31-04, 04:06 PM
pushpin30
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

egainer, if you follow the thread, you'll know what I'm talking about.

So this Friday morning, I got my car to the shop, the consultant didn't even spend two minutes with me even though I have maybe 8 problems all together, he's like in a hurry to go to the bathroom or something, while I was trying to explain my problems to him, he interrrupted and said that "oh, my diagnostician will find what's wrong". Anyway, left my car there and my phone #, he said that he'll call me when it was done, I went to try to pick up the car Friday evening, he said that "this is done, that is no done, blah, blah, blah....", and he tried to hand me the key to my car and call it the day and then I got furious and I told him that this is the fourth time I've been to the shop fixing the same problem, he got scare and he went out to get the diagnostician. Diagnostician said that "oh, I know what's wrong, blah, blah, blah, blah, but we'll need one more day to fix it." And I got really furious and told them why can't they call me to let me know about that so I don't have to waste my time to go to the shop. Anyway, they apologize, and said that they'll call me on Saturday when it's done.

I waited and waited today (Saturday) for their call, no one bother to call, so I tried to call them up at 3:00 pm (they close at 5:00), receiptionist answered and transferred me to the consultant, got the answering machine of course, left a message, no one answer. I called the receiptionist again, and got the round-around, and no one knows where the hell was my car.

So you tell me, is this the "Lexus service" that everyone was so proud of? And should I get another lexus again after this experience.
Old 01-31-04, 06:01 PM
NYC ES3
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default UNIQUE

Originally posted by pushpin30
yea, I got my car from Bay Ridge, and after this experience, I don't think I'll get another Lexus anymore.
Sorry to hear about your situation but Lexus (Toyota) as a manufacturer aint to blame. You got a lemon from the Dealer....I know after a bad experience we walk away feelin pissed and jerked but there isnt a better maker of cars on the planet than Toyota....Honda makes some great quality cars also (kinda hard to work on and stuff is in the most inconvenient places)...I own an Infiniti (Nissan) Lexus (Toyota) and Honda....and out of all of them the Lex is the best built (shame cause the Infiniti is new).

But dont let that bad dealer curb you from the best built , most reliable, best reviewed cars on the market

Lexus man...!!....they are the best and that aint opinion...its fact
Its just a shame that those punks sold you something that obviously got hit hard and got a ******ty fix job..

Only thing I want from Lexus is some serious HP and torque....maybe the IS430 will hurry its way up to us!
Old 02-14-04, 07:37 PM
Romadoc
Driver School Candidate

I also was getting what I considered a load of bs. I then asked for the number of the zone manager. That shook things up and all was quickly set right. It seems any threat to go above the dealer to Lexus Management seems to quickly give them religion.
Old 02-15-04, 02:07 AM
ES Boy
Lead Lap

- burned out gague bulbs
- burned out stereo bulbs
- driver window controls; can open front-passenger, but cannot close, have to lean over to close it with passenger's control
- moonroof closing, stops halfway, then must repush button to close all the way
- burned out license plate bulbs
- one brakelight bulb burned out. i shook around the whole unit once and it went back on, but then it went off again
- rock chips in paint on hood
- antenna has been replaced twice
- interior light doesn't go on when rear doors are open, only goes on if front doors are open
- lot of wind noise from driver window
- dirty right headlamp, bulb output is really weak compared to the left
- cracked left foglamp
- blew out the left-rear speaker
- torn leather in the back due to being baked in the sun
- scratched steering wheel, will soon be replaced

Last edited by Es3 bLk 94; 02-15-04 at 02:08 AM.
Old 02-15-04, 05:18 AM
Romadoc
Driver School Candidate

Aside from those listed in my post called "electrical problems", the only fault is the often mentioned peeling of the plastic side pillars between the front and back side windows. Has anyone priced the replacement cost of these pillars? 1998 ES300 42K miles.

Last edited by Romadoc; 02-15-04 at 06:50 AM.
Old 02-16-04, 01:26 PM
NYC ES3
Lead Lap

Originally posted by Es3 bLk 94
- burned out gague bulbs
- burned out stereo bulbs
- driver window controls; can open front-passenger, but cannot close, have to lean over to close it with passenger's control
- moonroof closing, stops halfway, then must repush button to close all the way
- burned out license plate bulbs
- one brakelight bulb burned out. i shook around the whole unit once and it went back on, but then it went off again
- rock chips in paint on hood
- antenna has been replaced twice
- interior light doesn't go on when rear doors are open, only goes on if front doors are open
- lot of wind noise from driver window
- dirty right headlamp, bulb output is really weak compared to the left
- cracked left foglamp
- blew out the left-rear speaker
- torn leather in the back due to being baked in the sun
- scratched steering wheel, will soon be replaced
ES3 bLK 94

Just some info for you....The moonroof stopping halfway and then repush to close all the way....is a SAFETY FEATURE and its supposed to do that...they all do......

AS to not catch a finger or head in there...its in your owners manuel...

And Rock chips in paint on the hood don't count as a "problem". A rock will chip any paint on anything especially kicked up by another car at 70MPH.
And isnt the torn leather kind of your fault for not protecting the leather from the sun....

I mean you have a 94, its 10 Years old now.....thats quite a beating to take from the sun

I'm not trying to take your post apart , just commenting on what is a "problem" the ES300 has caused as opposed to what problems you have caused it to have......and Who cracked the dag on fog light?????..(joke)

I mean I can say "hey my engine blew but I never changed the oil".....I dont think anyone would count that as a "problem"
Old 03-11-04, 03:48 PM
lexusk8
Lexus Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts
Talking Fixed an annoying problem today

The plastic seat memory shield mount for the passenger seat was already broken when I bought the ES last year (it looked like some bozo decided to use it as a footstep ) and asked to have it repaired, but unfortunately whoever fixed it ended up super-gluing the broken mounting tab to the rest of the part (not a good idea) Obviously the piece broke off within a few months later, and for the entire winter I had to deal with the seat mount hangin' by a thread, and its consistent rattling in all the drives

The picture below shows what it looked like before I replaced with a new mount I ordered from the parts dept., it was about $60. Note the broken piece (w/ the dried glue) on the right end of the mount part.
Attached Thumbnails What Problems Had or Have with your ES?-seat-shield-broken.jpg  
Old 03-11-04, 03:52 PM
lexusk8
Lexus Fanatic

Here's the seat memory mount after replacement. It's basically bolted under and behind the seat by 2 screws, and I just transferred the seat control motor and buttons to the new mount. Quick and easy fix in about 30 min, now I feel much better
Attached Thumbnails What Problems Had or Have with your ES?-seat-shield-replaced.jpg  
Old 03-11-04, 07:16 PM
NYC ES3
Lead Lap

Default So gLAD YOU POSTED THAT

Originally posted by lexusk8
Here's the seat memory mount after replacement. It's basically bolted under and behind the seat by 2 screws, and I just transferred the seat control motor and buttons to the new mount. Quick and easy fix in about 30 min, now I feel much better
Hey Lexusk8,

I have the same problem, a friend of mine got out my ES300 and it caught his pant leg and broke that same front peice....I haven't changed it and been meaning to for a while now cause that rattle is getting on my nerves.....I was kind of afraid of what the cost would be but ....now I'm not....thanks for that info...lemme go order mine tomorrow.....
Old 03-11-04, 08:21 PM
lexusk8
Lexus Fanatic

Nice bro, glad I could help out

I should put a sticker label on that plastic mount now that says 'DO NOT STEP HERE (or you will be sitting in the back seat)'
Old 03-14-04, 06:15 PM
oldlex
Driver School Candidate

I have a 92 es so most of my troubles can be
because of its age& mileage ( 167,000 ) .
I got the car with 100 on it and I was the 2nd owner.
The antenna is dead, I dont use the radio so no big deal.
The driver side seat needs refin. & the heated seats no longer work.
Same troubles with dash lights, needles ect.... . I also have abs light
come on ( 2 days ago ) . The A/C needs fixed, It started going out last summer.
I have trouble with trim around inside of the doors ( all four ) . I know that I have
work to do on it. Everything is factory on it . I have put 17s on it and new stereo with
2 tens in the trunk. The windows are tinted and new paint job. I know I have to replace
seals, plugs and thinking of going with a bigger brake package.
If any could give me a clue as to how much plugs & seals/ gaskets.
Old 03-21-04, 10:46 PM
whiteguyz
Rookie

While the problems seem minor, most of the these vehicles have the same problem.
I know that on mine my Fuel Gauge needle is gone, it has extensive sun damage (getting painted soon), and while it may be my driving, the brakes seems to wear extremely fast. Other than that the car sure is sturdy for being 10 years old!
Old 03-24-04, 10:10 PM
aznxteddy
Rookie

Default check engine

Damn, just got a check engine light tonight, so I'm gonna bring it somewhere to check, but from what I searched, it might be a Oxygen sensor? I do have a K N air filter, and supposedly that causes the o2 sensors to go right?

Hopefully i can get it fixed as cheap as possible , I dont feel like spending an arm and a leg at the dealer...

other than that, my only problems are like when i make a wide turn it sounds like i got a loose screw somewhere, its getting annoying =/

ok wish me luck on the check engine light ! =]
Old 06-12-08, 11:14 PM
deekay247
Driver School Candidate

97 Lexus es300 - Purchased used w/180,000 miles from a friend that didn't maintain it

List of items need to get her back into tip top shape.

1. Coolant plate re-siliconed - Leaking Coolant
2. Rear main seal replaced - Leaking Oil
3. Both valve cover gaskets and spark plug grommets - Leaking Oil
4. Spark Plugs & Wires - They were never replaced.
5. Tranny leaking from pan - Seal Replaced
6. Oil Pan Leaking from the first pan. Re Siliconed
7. VSV for Evap replaced. - Check engine light
8. Silicone hoses replaced. - Hard as rock
9. RR passenger switch replaced
10. FR passenger switch replaced
11. Blown Struts - Replaced w/ksports
12. Dog bone, front engine mount and rear engine mount replaced.
13. PCV Valve Replaced - Old one was clogged. Hence oil leaking everywhere else.
14. LCD replaced on head unit.
15. Cleaned EVAP - Carbon built up enough so that the car would just die upon start up. Clean it out and it's brand new again.
15. NOt sure yet but we'll see. If it's not one thing its another.

Quick Reply: What Problems Had or Have with your ES?