ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Kickers CVR in Ported 1996 *Check out*

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-10, 02:22 PM
funcrusher
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

caps are a waste of money. do the big 3 before anything if you think you are having electrical issues.
Old 10-08-10, 10:07 AM
xsh0tya
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Pyroibw
caps are lies, they do nothing. they cover up a problem, not solve it.
Interesting you are right and wrong what they do is actually help prevent a complete failure. So you are wrong, but you are right in saying they don't solve the problem if it has gone too far. But if you start with a cap it helps alot in not having your battery or alternator fail.
Old 10-08-10, 07:01 PM
kook
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by xsh0tya
Interesting you are right and wrong what they do is actually help prevent a complete failure. So you are wrong, but you are right in saying they don't solve the problem if it has gone too far. But if you start with a cap it helps alot in not having your battery or alternator fail.

LMFAO! Even as a noob years ago I never did mess with caps, I was smarter than that jazz.

How do caps help prevent a complete failure? This is the typical understanding of noobs or ignorant people who don't bother to look into it. There is so much literature as well as real world experience to back it up.

A proper BATTERY, ALTERNATOR and WIRING to meet your system requirements is all you need. There is no place for "those" capacitors in car audio. You are wrong and wrong, read up.
Old 10-08-10, 07:37 PM
xsh0tya
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by kook
LMFAO! Even as a noob years ago I never did mess with caps, I was smarter than that jazz.

How do caps help prevent a complete failure? This is the typical understanding of noobs or ignorant people who don't bother to look into it. There is so much literature as well as real world experience to back it up.

A proper BATTERY, ALTERNATOR and WIRING to meet your system requirements is all you need. There is no place for "those" capacitors in car audio. You are wrong and wrong, read up.
LOL as a noob... where did you get your information from? What training or education background are you basing your opinion or expertise from? Of course with the proper battery, alternator and wiring is all you need. Thats a stupid statement because its too general we are talking specifics here battery being a battery, alternator and wiring in a 96 es300. To say that caps are only for noobs or ignorant people makes me question your expertise because you believe caps do not do what they are designed for. I have been in the car audio business for over a decade and I have heard alot about caps from vendors and experts from kicker, rockford, jbl, mtx, clarion, panasonic, sony, phoniex gold, infinity but Im sure im a noob and you can post something to say different. Flame on.
Old 10-08-10, 07:38 PM
adreano17
Advanced

Received 110 Likes on 61 Posts

i know there is alot of discrepancy among caps, but do not believe they will completely fix the problem, but will definitely enhance. You still will need a battery though, but caps "stiffen" power signal. Therefore, making a more constant and controlled voltage that will not drop in quality, because the voltage has dipped below maximum performance. IDC what anyone says, they will help. And just got a 2 farad cap installing tomorrow. I agree caps will not completely fix ALL problems, but will definitely help if used right. People who believe they do not work listen to word of mouth. If people actually understood what they did, they could use them to their advantage, and not just bash them.
Old 10-08-10, 07:40 PM
adreano17
Advanced

LOL as a noob... where did you get your information from? What training or education background are you basing your opinion or expertise from? Of course with the proper battery, alternator and wiring is all you need. Thats a stupid statement because its too general we are talking specifics here battery being a battery, alternator and wiring in a 96 es300. To say that caps are only for noobs or ignorant people makes me question your expertise because you believe caps do not do what they are designed for. I have been in the car audio business for over a decade and I have heard alot about caps from vendors and experts from kicker, rockford, jbl, mtx, clarion, panasonic, sony, phoniex gold, infinity but Im sure im a noob and you can post something to say different. Flame on.
1 UP
Old 10-08-10, 08:02 PM
xsh0tya
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by adreano17
i know there is alot of discrepancy among caps, but do not believe they will completely fix the problem, but will definitely enhance. You still will need a battery though, but caps "stiffen" power signal. Therefore, making a more constant and controlled voltage that will not drop in quality, because the voltage has dipped below maximum performance. IDC what anyone says, they will help. And just got a 2 farad cap installing tomorrow. I agree caps will not completely fix ALL problems, but will definitely help if used right. People who believe they do not work listen to word of mouth. If people actually understood what they did, they could use them to their advantage, and not just bash them.
Thank you that is exactly what I said in my first reply and for all those who disagree I encourage you to do the research or ask whoever told you otherwise to explain where they got their information. Im pretty certain that you will be playing telephone aka he said, she said.
Old 10-08-10, 10:44 PM
kook
Rookie

First off a cap is always a good idea for a aftermarket sound system. It acts as a sponge and gives a constant voltage output for your system so your lights dont dim and your bass hits hard all the time. If your having rattling problems you might need to go the extra mile and use
Yeah which company did you read that from????

All of them????

LMFAO! http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...gate+RFC1.html

The only thing "failing" here is you, I still have yet to hear your answer as to how it will help. Well maybe not depending on how ridiculous it might be.

You just contradicted yourself smarty pants (just look at that first quote), if you're saying that the three most important components are OBVIOUS and ALL YOU NEED, then why the hell would you recommend a capacitor if they are up to par? That's just stupid. .

We live in an era where information is readily available and credible, it doesn't take a genius to know what a capacitor is, how it works and why it is useless in car audio.

Take a look at this for instance - http://decibelcar.com/index.php/menu...8-captest.html Basically, if you can understand that. YOU = FAIL. Unlike FAIL, I actually have a decade of real experience over a broad range of electronics, you need to question yourself your own expertise or lack thereof. Even the man who won numerous SQL competitions (RC) admits that caps are good for nothing, when they are advertised to make your sound quality better.

Its very hard to believe that you've been into ICE for over a decade, and still think capacitors are useful, I'd say one month. You've only "heard" from "vendors" and "experts" from a list of mainstream marketing companies like "phoniex gold" which makes you look even less credible.

This is no where near a flame, you're just getting it twisted and I'm tired of hearing all this parroting. It is a confused world out there, the best thing to do is learn the facts and don't spread bs.
Old 10-09-10, 09:06 AM
adreano17
Advanced

answer: http://www.bcae1.com/capacitr.htm
Old 10-09-10, 10:58 AM
Pyroibw
Pole Position

this thread is full of lulz
Old 10-10-10, 11:15 AM
xsh0tya
Lexus Test Driver

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by kook
Yeah which company did you read that from????
All of them????
LMFAO! http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...gate+RFC1.html
The only thing "failing" here is you, I still have yet to hear your answer as to how it will help. Well maybe not depending on how ridiculous it might be.
You just contradicted yourself smarty pants (just look at that first quote), if you're saying that the three most important components are OBVIOUS and ALL YOU NEED, then why the hell would you recommend a capacitor if they are up to par? That's just stupid. .
We live in an era where information is readily available and credible, it doesn't take a genius to know what a capacitor is, how it works and why it is useless in car audio.
Take a look at this for instance - http://decibelcar.com/index.php/menu...8-captest.html Basically, if you can understand that. YOU = FAIL. Unlike FAIL, I actually have a decade of real experience over a broad range of electronics, you need to question yourself your own expertise or lack thereof. Even the man who won numerous SQL competitions (RC) admits that caps are good for nothing, when they are advertised to make your sound quality better.
Its very hard to believe that you've been into ICE for over a decade, and still think capacitors are useful, I'd say one month. You've only "heard" from "vendors" and "experts" from a list of mainstream marketing companies like "phoniex gold" which makes you look even less credible.
This is no where near a flame, you're just getting it twisted and I'm tired of hearing all this parroting. It is a confused world out there, the best thing to do is learn the facts and don't spread bs.
Listen I am going to agree to disagree because I dont like throwing out facts, that I have not researched. I would recommend that you do the same. Like I said if you keep the information relative to the topic and not random such as your supporting evidence. I would challenge you to find information about the product tested ie, amps drawn and such, I couldn't find anything on that amp. The jbl equipment in question is this the same equipment that is used in http://www.mobileelectronics.com.au/...-quantum-3000/
people passing incorrect information is very serious problem with the internet. I am not trying to be one of those people and I feel neither are you. I am just trying to give my advice as are you we just happen to disagree. My 1999 Lexus has the factory alternator which is 80 amps, my battery is 650cca and it has the factory 8 gauge wiring from it. I plan to upgrade to 0 gauge and possibly a new yellow top battery and upgrade the alternator. But we are talking close to $1000 worth of equipment. My amp for my subs rockford 850.2 draws 120 amps (less as it has 3 X 40 amp fuses). So if a $40 cap will suffice for now and be a buffer for my battery and alternator, I am def leaning towards that. Flame on if you must.
Old 10-10-10, 02:26 PM
kook
Rookie

Listen I am going to agree to disagree because I dont like throwing out facts, that I have not researched.You just proved you're full of **** MR.10+YEARSEXPERIENCE. I would recommend that you do the same. Like I said if you keep the information relative to the topic and not random such as your supporting evidence.You still have not given your explanation on caps, now you're just changing the subject, the links I posted are directly related to your lack of knowledge as well as the truth of the matter which is two-part, you're a noob and caps are worthless (FOR WHAT THEY ARE MARKETED FOR)
I would challenge you to find information about the product tested ie, amps drawn and such, I couldn't find anything on that amp.
Of course you can't find anything because you're green, if you REALLY HAD 10 YEARS EXPERIENCE you would know that its an old amp. Give me a break http://manuals.harman.com/jbl/car/Ow...m.%20FINAL.pdf I used to run its twin the power valve series and I tested it years ago. AMPS DRAWN AND SUCH?? The dbcar test with voltage drop and spl is more than enough, stop going off topic. The jbl equipment in question is this the same equipment that is used in http://www.mobileelectronics.com.au/...-quantum-3000/
people passing incorrect information is very serious problem with the internet. I am not trying to be one of those people and I feel neither are you. I am just trying to give my advice as are you we just happen to disagree. I understand that, but after all this its easy see why your advice is not considered plausible My 1999 Lexus has the factory alternator which is 80 amps, my battery is 650cca and it has the factory 8 gauge wiring from it. I plan to upgrade to 0 gauge and possibly a new yellow top battery and upgrade the alternator. But we are talking close to $1000 worth of equipment. My amp for my subs rockford 850.2 draws 120 amps (less as it has 3 X 40 amp fuses). So if a $40 cap will suffice for now and be a buffer for my battery and alternator, I am def leaning towards that. This is straight fail, contradiction and inexperience at its finest, you pretty much ended the discussion here.

Flame on if you must.
Flame on? I'm not gonna bother wasting anymore time on a person who still has much to learn. You've proven so multiple times so Ill leave it at that.
Old 10-10-10, 04:42 PM
Pyroibw
Pole Position

My 1999 Lexus has the factory alternator which is 80 amps (at 3500RPM+, at idle it only dose 45amps) my battery is 650cca and it has the factory 8 gauge wiring from it. I plan to upgrade to 0 gauge and possibly a new yellow top battery (get a real battery if you want to upgrade, the yellow top won't do anything your stock one won't) and upgrade the alternator (not needed, not even close). But we are talking close to $1000 worth of equipment. My amp for my subs rockford 850.2 draws 120 amps (less as it has 3 X 40 amp fuses) (amp is over rated by a lot, your only getting at most 500w@4 bridged). So if a $40 cap will suffice for now and be a buffer for my battery and alternator, I am def leaning towards that.( put that $40 toward something worth while ) Flame on if you must.
all you need to do for your setup is get a stronger battery. your not using that much power. the amp you are using has been clamped at 500W at 4 ohms. that is NOTHING, no need to upgrade anything for this setup. do your lights dim? if they do, just do the big 3 and you'll be fine. MABEY get a better battery in the future.

on the responses about caps. CAPS ARE USELESS! they do more harm to your system then they help. sure when you hook it up it might seem to help out, but in the long run, your battery and alternator will die quicker. a cap refills it self very quick, and always remains filled, even when the car is off. meaning its putting constant strain on your battery to keep it filled. so now instead of your battery/alt just keeping power to your amp, now they have to fill the cap aswell. a way many describe it as is kinda like a leech, and leeches are ******* animals.
Old 10-11-10, 10:19 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,283 Likes on 1,389 Posts

kook - please exit this thread and DO NOT carry on this public flaming in the future our your access to CL will be removed.

It's absolutley fine (even expected) for members to disagree... just do so in a manner that is polite, mature and respectful.

Last edited by DaveGS4; 10-11-10 at 07:52 PM.
Old 10-11-10, 06:34 PM
Audacity
Driver

Caps serve a purpose. They release a large amount of energy very quickly and then recharge very quickly. That is why so many world class competitors (especially SQ competitors) have used them. I'm not a competitor, but I've been running a 5 fared cap in my 98 Prelude for seven years. I run a JL 500/1 amp to a JL 10W7 along with a JL 300/4 amp to a pair of MBQ Q series mids and tweets. So in the end my sound system is putting out around 700 watts RMS. I run the original alternator with a Yellow Top under the hood - no extra battery. My lights never dim. If I were to run without the cap. my lights would dim very much and I would probably have additional problems. I've been running this set up for seven years now. I understand completely about the argument for additional batteries and a better alternator, but don't tell me my cap is a patch. It works in this application and has worked 100% for 7 years now. By the way- I'm getting ready to put two JL 300/2 amps in my ES300 along with a JL 300/4 and a JL 1000/1. I'll be using an OG alternator , two XS Power batteries, and I'll probably use a large cap. as well.
Martin
P.S. I also run an Alpine double din along with the 701 processor in my Prelude-it sounds VERY good. Oh- I haven't upgraded the big 3 either!

Last edited by Audacity; 10-11-10 at 06:40 PM.

Quick Reply: Kickers CVR in Ported 1996 *Check out*