ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Kickers CVR in Ported 1996 *Check out*

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-10, 07:13 AM
adreano17
Advanced

Received 107 Likes on 58 Posts

i recently installed the 2 farad cap, and it doesnt completely fix the problem but it does in fact help sound quality on deep notes. My next step is to get a yellowcap because my battery is in bad shape. Possibly do the big 3 sometime if i can find where the engine block ground is...but for the most part, i am pleased with my cap.
Old 10-12-10, 07:33 AM
Pyroibw
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Audacity
That is why so many world class competitors (especially SQ competitors) have used them.

name ONE "world class competitor" running caps? no one dose in the competition world, because they are worthless. ive been competing for 5 years, and have yet to see a cap, except by first timers who are mocked for thinking that their cap is helping them.

Originally Posted by adreano17
Possibly do the big 3 sometime if i can find where the engine block ground is...but for the most part, i am pleased with my cap.
big3 should have been done LONG before you purchased anything..... and any bolt on the engine block can be used, i said that before....

Last edited by Pyroibw; 10-12-10 at 07:36 AM.
Old 10-12-10, 08:11 AM
xsh0tya
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i recently installed the 2 farad cap, and it doesnt completely fix the problem but it does in fact help sound quality on deep notes. My next step is to get a yellowcap because my battery is in bad shape. Possibly do the big 3 sometime if i can find where the engine block ground is...but for the most part, i am pleased with my cap.
Hey when I put in my new system in my 1999 ES I will let you know where the big 3 connections I made were... Ill take pics and post them in a thread. Should be soon I got my box being built for my JBL subs which I really like just annoying cause they are 12 inch but the surround makes them pretty much a 15 inch and the casket........... wow.
Old 10-12-10, 08:16 AM
xsh0tya
Lexus Test Driver

Hey Pyroibw what kind of system are you running?
Old 10-12-10, 08:32 AM
adreano17
Advanced

yea. i finally figured out the alternator harness problem. its not a harness, just a cover. and i was just concerned about the engine block wire running too hot...but a good bolt i see are above headers. it looks pretty sollid. cant i just get 0 gauge wire from home depot. or reccomend smaller strand audio wire. ultimately it will be the same result right?
Old 10-12-10, 09:22 AM
xsh0tya
Lexus Test Driver

Yea 0 gauge is often used as it is the thickest wire that a wide variety accessories are offered for in car audio. If you plan to upgrade your alternator or battery it is recommended.
Old 10-12-10, 09:39 AM
adreano17
Advanced

yea, i know, but would you recommend thick strand or thin strand car audio wire.
Old 10-12-10, 09:55 AM
Pyroibw
Pole Position

Originally Posted by xsh0tya
Hey Pyroibw what kind of system are you running?
subs are 2 custom 18" sundown nightshades off a stetsom 11k2d
mid/highs i have 4 8" mids, 6 6" mids, 4 3" horn tweeter and 12 1" dome tweeters, witch are run off of 2 arc audio 300.2 and 1 300.4.

yea, i know, but would you recommend thick strand or thin strand car audio wire.
highest strand count= better cable. go with knu koncepts or shok cable, best cable for the $

yea. i finally figured out the alternator harness problem. its not a harness, just a cover. and i was just concerned about the engine block wire running too hot...but a good bolt i see are above headers. it looks pretty sollid. cant i just get 0 gauge wire from home depot. or reccomend smaller strand audio wire. ultimately it will be the same result right?
there is a harness witch you should not mess with. then there is a bolt, like i said. you just connect it to the bolt. heres a image of the es300 alternator showing where to connect it. http://img833.imageshack.us/img833/3871/94638117.png

and home depot 0 awg is not good, its solid stand. besides car audio cable, your only other choice is welding cable, but its more expensive then audio cable is. like i said, use Knu or shok cable, there cheap and are some of the best cable ive ever seen.

Last edited by Pyroibw; 10-12-10 at 01:59 PM.
Old 10-12-10, 12:51 PM
Audacity
Driver

pyroibw- you are an idiot. two of us have stated that caps have had a positive affect on our systems. nobody is saying that the big 3 along with alternator and battery are not important. stop trying to show us how f-n smart you are because it's backfiring on you. go ahead and band this piece of work since he's not trying to help anyone - he just wants all of us to understand how brilliant he is. The day I became a man was the day I woke up and realized I don't know everything. pyroibw hasn't realized this yet. By the way pyroibw I can tell by your list of equipment that your vehicle gets loud, but I could get better SQ out of 1/10th the equipment you run. have a good day.
Old 10-12-10, 01:52 PM
Pyroibw
Pole Position

pyroibw- you are an idiot. two of us have stated that caps have had a positive affect on our systems. nobody is saying that the big 3 along with alternator and battery are not important. stop trying to show us how f-n smart you are because it's backfiring on you. go ahead and band this piece of work since he's not trying to help anyone - he just wants all of us to understand how brilliant he is. The day I became a man was the day I woke up and realized I don't know everything. pyroibw hasn't realized this yet. By the way pyroibw I can tell by your list of equipment that your vehicle gets loud, but I could get better SQ out of 1/10th the equipment you run. have a good day.
how am i stating how smart i am? did i offend you in anyway? the guy has been asking about what to do with his car, and i gave him some answers, whats wrong with that? i gave perfectly fine responses for everything asked. a page back in this thread people are name calling and fighting about nothing, and I did something wrong by answering this guys questions?? you got some issues man....
Old 10-12-10, 07:45 PM
xsh0tya
Lexus Test Driver

Default Lets keep it on the topic

For whatever reason this cap sitaution is a hot topic. Lets just agree to disagree I am on the side of running a cap and will def be running a cap even if it is jus for looks.... Although I believe that it helps my system... who knows maybe us cap loving guys are just the lucky ones whos caps were defective and we benefitted from them instead of having negative effects from it. By the way pyro nice system and audacity i get what your getting at but pyro has been pretty good at not being that "electronic engineer guy" so cut him a break please. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es3...and-alarm.html
Anyways what do you guys think of my system. O I have a 2.5 farad cap which I love. It has digital voltage display. Auto On/ Off on the cap maybe thats why it only draws from the battery when my amp is on.
Old 10-12-10, 08:30 PM
Audacity
Driver

In certain applications a good cap serves a purpose."CAPS ARE USELESS!" and "caps are lies, they do nothing. they cover up a problem, not solve it." are NOT true statements.
Bottom line is that if you're going big (be it SQ or SPL) with a sound system you're better off starting with an upgrade to the big 3, upgraded alternator, and good batteries as pyroibw stated earlier.
There are quite a few batteries out there now that put the Yellow Tops to shame. XS Power is probably the best at the moment.
You need a good install including sound deadening and then comes equipment. The install is AT LEAST as important as the gear used-probably more important than the gear.It's always a good idea to research installers in your area before you pick one if you're having the install done at a shop.
Old 10-12-10, 09:35 PM
adreano17
Advanced

For whatever reason this cap sitaution is a hot topic. Lets just agree to disagree I am on the side of running a cap and will def be running a cap even if it is jus for looks.... Although I believe that it helps my system... who knows maybe us cap loving guys are just the lucky ones whos caps were defective and we benefitted from them instead of having negative effects from it. By the way pyro nice system and audacity i get what your getting at but pyro has been pretty good at not being that "electronic engineer guy" so cut him a break please. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es3...and-alarm.html
Anyways what do you guys think of my system. O I have a 2.5 farad cap which I love. It has digital voltage display. Auto On/ Off on the cap maybe thats why it only draws from the battery when my amp is on.
what is the cap powering?

In certain applications a good cap serves a purpose."CAPS ARE USELESS!" and "caps are lies, they do nothing. they cover up a problem, not solve it." are NOT true statements.
Bottom line is that if you're going big (be it SQ or SPL) with a sound system you're better off starting with an upgrade to the big 3, upgraded alternator, and good batteries as pyroibw stated earlier.
There are quite a few batteries out there now that put the Yellow Tops to shame. XS Power is probably the best at the moment.
You need a good install including sound deadening and then comes equipment. The install is AT LEAST as important as the gear used-probably more important than the gear.It's always a good idea to research installers in your area before you pick one if you're having the install done at a shop.
and yes, i will do everything except an alternator. I can't do that myself. but what batteries do you all recommend for car audio. i thought optima was good, but i guess not that good
Old 10-12-10, 09:39 PM
adreano17
Advanced

scratch that i see in the link. good nonbudget brands. i trust all of them. and i only have subs, but i need mids soon. the paper isnt cutting it. my tweets work amazing though.
Old 10-13-10, 08:17 AM
Pyroibw
Pole Position

ok, i admit i went a little over, but no more than anyone else was. w/e its not worth fighting about. lets end this man

and yes, i will do everything except an alternator. I can't do that myself. but what batteries do you all recommend for car audio. i thought optima was good, but i guess not that good
for your system, a yellow top would actually be ok. but if you can afford a XS or deka i would suggest that over the optima. or if you can source C&D or NSB batteries in your area there the best bang for the buck

Last edited by DaveGS4; 10-13-10 at 09:59 AM. Reason: removed quoted post

Quick Reply: Kickers CVR in Ported 1996 *Check out*