ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Replace Outside B Pillar?

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-10, 04:08 PM
Coulter
Intermediate

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Replace Outside B Pillar?

On my 99 Es300, the black plastic piece that lays in between the two windows looks awful. I know this is a common problem, has anyone replaced this piece with a new one?

Is this an easy DIY project? Does it just pop off?

Any advice would be appreciated, it really makes my car look like crap.

Thanks
Old 10-14-10, 04:51 PM
angmedic91
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Coulter
On my 99 Es300, the black plastic piece that lays in between the two windows looks awful. I know this is a common problem, has anyone replaced this piece with a new one?

Is this an easy DIY project? Does it just pop off?

Any advice would be appreciated, it really makes my car look like crap.

Thanks
I've never tried to remove this but if you do a search on here, I believe someone has replaced these before. I also believe the pieces are expensive. My sister was the previous owner and she had the dealer replace one of them after buying the car new. It looked bad after 3 or 4 years. I now own the car and one of them started to look bad and I just coverd it with chrome on both sides. They are chrome pieces with 3M double sided tape, found them on ebay.
Old 10-14-10, 05:33 PM
Coulter
Intermediate

Originally Posted by angmedic91
I've never tried to remove this but if you do a search on here, I believe someone has replaced these before. I also believe the pieces are expensive. My sister was the previous owner and she had the dealer replace one of them after buying the car new. It looked bad after 3 or 4 years. I now own the car and one of them started to look bad and I just coverd it with chrome on both sides. They are chrome pieces with 3M double sided tape, found them on ebay.
Thanks for the response, I may get a similar cover, but in gloss black. That's probably the easiest solution. The kits I've seen are around $80 shipped for both sides.

The local Lexus dealer is asking $80 per side for a factory piece, but I can probably get it much cheaper through an online dealer.

I'm just curious how it's attached. The part counter guy said it's attached by clips, but it really feels like it's solid. I don't want to tear up the surrounding weatherstripping.
Old 10-14-10, 05:46 PM
Pyroibw
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you can get them for $50 each through most online dealers, just make sure you buy the clips also, because they break when you remove the old one no matter what
Old 10-14-10, 08:07 PM
xsh0tya
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yea mine are starting to look a lil worn but not bad enough to make me replace yet but if you replace your please leave feedback... maybe if you got time post up a DIY.
Old 10-14-10, 08:42 PM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

Received 70 Likes on 59 Posts

THey pop off.

So sand, prime, paint, clear. replace clips -> click into place and go.
Old 10-15-10, 12:26 AM
xsh0tya
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 01LEXPL
THey pop off.

So sand, prime, paint, clear. replace clips -> click into place and go.
Thanks, good to know!
Old 10-15-10, 11:41 AM
Coulter
Intermediate

Here's a write up, I don't know why this didn't come up when I did a search on this site, but I found it through Google:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es3...-you-help.html

The part numbers are:
75505-33010 Drivers Side
7550633010 Passenger Side

I went ahead and purchased them online, they were around $45 per side. The most cost effective way is probably to pull them off and paint them, but that's how I got in some trouble, I masked off the piece and tried painting it.
I've painted a lot of plastic pieces before on cars, but the primer I used on this "gummed" up the plastic, ruining the surface. It's a primer made for plastic parts, and I've used it before with no issues, The only real option was replace it or buy the aftermarket shells. Also, paint likes to flake off of plastic over time, I would think a few automated car washes could cause some problems.

In hindsight, I probably should have just left it alone. Oh well.
Old 10-15-10, 02:00 PM
Maxx941
Lexus Test Driver

Is it possible to just replace the clips?
Old 10-15-10, 04:32 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

Just do to it what you would do to clear up your headlights and they will look just like new
Old 10-15-10, 04:44 PM
Coulter
Intermediate

Originally Posted by gray_es300
Just do to it what you would do to clear up your headlights and they will look just like new
Do you mean putting plastic polish on it?

I think the problem is the material separates underneath the clear layer, it's not oxidizing on the outside.
Old 10-15-10, 04:48 PM
Coulter
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Maxx941
Is it possible to just replace the clips?
According to person that did the write up, the clips are molded into the b pillar. Once you pull it out, they're broken.

You could probably find a way to use an adhesive to reinstall, but it's not something I would want to fool with.
Old 10-15-10, 06:33 PM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

Received 70 Likes on 59 Posts

Sorry, but this doesn't fix it. It makes it shine a little bit more until it rains. Wax/polish/etc. won't make it last. Trust me. I have tried everything.
It's the clear coat failing, so you can't fix it unless you re-clear it [after wet sanding]/

The best bet is to buy new. Second i would say paint it, or what I'm gonna do in the spring - just vinyl them a matte black to match the rest of the trim around the windows.

According to person that did the write up, the clips are molded into the b pillar. Once you pull it out, they're broken.

You could probably find a way to use an adhesive to reinstall, but it's not something I would want to fool with.
Yep, they break unfortunately, i have one broken one on each side, so I'm gonna put vinyl over it.
Old 10-15-10, 08:30 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,979 Likes on 2,507 Posts

I think the problem is the material separates underneath the clear layer, it's not oxidizing on the outside.
That's exactly what happens. My left hand side one is starting to do this, I thought about putting chrome covers on them, but I don't really like the look. Problem is, the replacement will just fail eventually as well.
Old 10-15-10, 10:06 PM
HFES300
Driver School Candidate

not always recommended, I just got my es bout a week ago, machine buffed the whole car with my Griot's 6" Random Orbital then used a 3" for the headlights and b-pillar by the time it started to loosen it was already too late

also, little side note I used "turtle wax black box" car looks amazing my mail lady asked if I got a new paint job

Last edited by HFES300; 10-15-10 at 10:12 PM.

Quick Reply: Replace Outside B Pillar?