ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

2ES Can lights be modded to turn on upon unlock?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-10, 06:08 AM
immax01
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2ES Can lights be modded to turn on upon unlock?

I have a 1995 ES, is it possible to mod the interior lights and/or headlights,brakelights to turn on when the car is remote unlocked. This has been asked before on these threads but no answer was ever given, so im trying again. Thanks.
Old 10-17-10, 07:36 PM
nine3es
Lead Lap

any car audio/alarm install shop should be able to add a relay to your oem keyless entry. most aftermarket alarms and remote starts come with an output just for that but its an easy add on to most oem systems.
Old 10-17-10, 09:45 PM
xsh0tya
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yea not too hard to do for any car electronic shop.
Old 10-18-10, 06:32 AM
immax01
Rookie

Thanks for your responses guys but I guess I should have specified that i want this to be a DYI. I like inexpensive projects to improve my car but im not looking to spend any money on this by taking it to a shop.

So can this be a DYI?
Old 10-18-10, 08:57 AM
xsh0tya
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by immax01
Thanks for your responses guys but I guess I should have specified that i want this to be a DYI. I like inexpensive projects to improve my car but im not looking to spend any money on this by taking it to a shop.

So can this be a DYI?
I hate to answer a question with questions but.... Are you comfortable removing panels in your car? Are you into car electronics ie resistors and relays? Do you have the equipment to test wires? Do you have access to wiring diagrams? Do you have the equipment needed to make this work ie, keyless entry system or alarm/starter with extra ports?
If the answer to any of these questions is NO. I would recommend spending the extra money to get it done right. I have seen a lot of simple DIY jobs, done terribily wrong and costing folks alot more than it would to have intially done right through the shop.
However, if you feel comfortable don't let me scare you and it really isn't that hard with the right equipment and know how, it most certainly can be a DYI.
Old 10-18-10, 10:57 AM
immax01
Rookie

Originally Posted by xsh0tya
I hate to answer a question with questions but.... Are you comfortable removing panels in your car? Are you into car electronics ie resistors and relays? Do you have the equipment to test wires? Do you have access to wiring diagrams? Do you have the equipment needed to make this work ie, keyless entry system or alarm/starter with extra ports?
If the answer to any of these questions is NO. I would recommend spending the extra money to get it done right. I have seen a lot of simple DIY jobs, done terribily wrong and costing folks alot more than it would to have intially done right through the shop.
However, if you feel comfortable don't let me scare you and it really isn't that hard with the right equipment and know how, it most certainly can be a DYI.
I have the oem keyless entry system, im not sure what you mean by extra ports but i can answer yes to the rest I just dont know where to begin, although i can read wiring diagrams and ive taken my share of panels apart, if this is much more than a splice/reroute job, then it may be too much hassle for me
Old 10-18-10, 11:31 AM
xsh0tya
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by immax01
I have the oem keyless entry system, im not sure what you mean by extra ports but i can answer yes to the rest I just dont know where to begin, although i can read wiring diagrams and ive taken my share of panels apart, if this is much more than a splice/reroute job, then it may be too much hassle for me
Sorry I said ports when it is called auxillary outputs. Which is what aftermarket units usually use to add things like window roll up modules and similar features to their units. With the factory keyless entry when you unlock the vechicle the lights don't come on... so you have to open the doors to get the lights on. What you are going to want to do is find what wire is for your door pins... might have both a positive or negative wire and hook that up to your unlock wire. This is where the relay would come in.... Sorry Im in a rush right now and have to go and Ill hope to clarify and try and find some diagrams to help you out. Quick add on to this for your exterior lights if they are on a switch you have to find all the wires for lights you want to add.

Last edited by xsh0tya; 10-18-10 at 11:34 AM. Reason: Missed some issues