ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Rear Creaking Noise, Replaced Sway Bar Bushings, Still There

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-10, 02:16 PM
Coulter
Intermediate

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Rear Creaking Noise, Replaced Sway Bar Bushings, Still There

It seems to be a common problem on these models (3ES). I did some research, and apparently the stabilizer/sway bar bushings are usually to blame. I bought some new ones at NAPA, put some silicone grease and replaced them. It was an easy/cheap job (about $12), but the noise is still there.

What are some other common problems that can cause this? Can the end links connecting the sway bar make that noise? I looked all through the rear suspension, and the rubber bushings look really good and tight, no cracking or looseness.

The noise is pretty bad going over speed bumps. The car rides amazing, so it's more of an annoyance than anything. If it's something "big" I'm just going to live with it, but if it's something simple, I'd like to fix it.

Any other ideas?
Old 10-24-10, 02:30 PM
roegs
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just replaced both the bushings and end links. While it was a definate improvement, there is still some noise. My rear struts are original (2000 ES300) and I'm thinking something could be worn on the upper strut mount.
Old 10-24-10, 05:37 PM
Coulter
Intermediate

Originally Posted by roegs
I just replaced both the bushings and end links. While it was a definate improvement, there is still some noise. My rear struts are original (2000 ES300) and I'm thinking something could be worn on the upper strut mount.
I'm going to go ahead and replace the endlinks on the rear sway bar. I recently replaced the ones on my front, they were completely shot. What's funny is they gave no indication they were out, but the boots were split, the grease had come out, and they felt like they were going to fall apart. The car now feels tighter when you turn, but it caused my front sway bushing to now make noise, so I'm going to replace those also.

I'm guessing regardless, the back ones could use replacing. I actually bought some at the local parts store, I didn't feel like shelling out around $80 a piece for OEM.

I'll respond back if it clears up after I replace the links. If it's something like the strut mounts that causing the creaking/squeaking, I'm just going to live with it.
Old 10-24-10, 06:16 PM
nine3es
Lead Lap

mine has a creakin noise from the back too, im thinkin mine is struts or struts and mounts. car has 228k so its time for sure.
Old 10-25-10, 07:27 PM
Coulter
Intermediate

I replaced the rear sway endlinks also, and the creaking noise is still there.

I'll probably just live with it, if I need to bring it into a shop in the near future, I'll ask a technician what the issue is and see if he can figure it out. It's probably strut mounts.

It really destroys the feeling of being in a nice luxury car and hearing that noise when you go over bumps.
Old 10-25-10, 08:15 PM
MikeLex
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Rear control arm bushings?
Old 10-26-10, 01:45 PM
Coulter
Intermediate

Originally Posted by MikeLex
Rear control arm bushings?
It's probably something like that. When I poked around, the rear bushings look decent, but there's definitely some "mushiness" there. If I knew exactly which bushing it was, I would probably replace it, but it's hard to pin down.

The issue is, this car is 11 years old and has around 130k miles. You could make a case that EVERY single rubber bushing probably needs to be replaced. (the whole suspension should probably be rebuilt, both front and back)

I'm just not sure it's worth the investment. Right now it rides great, has tight handling, and goes straight down the road. Just not sure if it's worth tearing into over some creaking when I go over a speed bump. You can really chase your tail throwing parts at it, but I'm always open to solutions.
Old 11-27-12, 07:26 PM
Lexusguru3
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Coulter
I replaced the rear sway endlinks also, and the creaking noise is still there.

I'll probably just live with it, if I need to bring it into a shop in the near future, I'll ask a technician what the issue is and see if he can figure it out. It's probably strut mounts.

It really destroys the feeling of being in a nice luxury car and hearing that noise when you go over bumps.
I have the same issue with my car as well(2000 es300). I had to take it in for regular maintenance and had them look at it. They said they would replace the whole sway bar with end links. Said it would cost 300-400 for everything. Didn't find it worth it so still squeaking and very annoying especially in a luxury car. I may end up replacing all the bushings and try and get it to calm down a bit. Let me know if you find a solution.
Old 11-27-12, 08:40 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Received 293 Likes on 232 Posts

Have you guys considered investing into wireless microphones? Or maybe even a durable camera? This way you could position them into different locations and see if you can find the source of the noise. At least that's what I would do - a mechanic might be just as clueless as you are, and they often assume which leads to expensive mistakes.
Old 11-27-12, 09:00 PM
MrShim78
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

mine has developed a creaking /clunking noise in the front, esp in the passenger side. i changed the sway bar endlinks and the noise whent down but not much. its cold in canada now , -3 is normal and will get colder, so the sound gets worse..leading me to believe it IS the rubber strut mount.

very annoying though! esp when driving in the city....i will change as many bushings as i can but i think such sounds can only be truly fixed by a completely overhauled or new suspension. quick struts anyone?
Old 11-28-12, 09:42 AM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

Received 69 Likes on 58 Posts

^ not even. I'm not happy with mine... At first they were fine, but now [in the air doing a dry steer with my hands] the right side has developed a new creaking in the strut mount, when turning. I'm not happy about it, not to mention they are one year old at this point. If i get pissed off enough about it, I will claim some sort of warranty with Monroe about this issue. I understand it can be the design within the car that they mimicked [just like the stupid passenger side axle design Toyota thought would be brilliant] - but they shouldn't offer lifetime warranty if they won't cover it. Otherwise I would've gotten some OEM mounts, KYB shocks and some lowering springs. Would've cost me ~200$ more but no noise!

I recently invested in new control arms for the rear which had play in them, had to get ebay specials as Rockauto was unable to get them at this time.
Old 11-29-12, 02:46 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 01LEXPL
^ not even. I'm not happy with mine... At first they were fine, but now [in the air doing a dry steer with my hands] the right side has developed a new creaking in the strut mount, when turning. I'm not happy about it, not to mention they are one year old at this point. If i get pissed off enough about it, I will claim some sort of warranty with Monroe about this issue. I understand it can be the design within the car that they mimicked [just like the stupid passenger side axle design Toyota thought would be brilliant] - but they shouldn't offer lifetime warranty if they won't cover it. Otherwise I would've gotten some OEM mounts, KYB shocks and some lowering springs. Would've cost me ~200$ more but no noise!

I recently invested in new control arms for the rear which had play in them, had to get ebay specials as Rockauto was unable to get them at this time.
This is why I chose to go with Toyota mounting hardware and aftermarket struts/springs. I will let you know when I get everything installed. Just FYI, it's gonna cost me double of what you paid for the quick struts
Old 11-29-12, 05:08 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

I have KyB strut mounts and thought these would be good, i was wrong, after just 30k miles there is a noise. I have replaced everything and there is still a noise, but at 206k miles i have just learned to deal with it since it isn't that bad
Old 11-29-12, 06:03 PM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

Received 69 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by MrBooby
This is why I chose to go with Toyota mounting hardware and aftermarket struts/springs. I will let you know when I get everything installed. Just FYI, it's gonna cost me double of what you paid for the quick struts
That much more?! I was almost certain it'd be 200$ more in this case. There is a "sensen" set on eBay with lowering springs, don't recall the brand, for around 350-ish, plus mounts, would've cost me 200$ more than the 575$ quick struts in the end, should've went with that ****!!
Old 11-29-12, 06:42 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 01LEXPL
That much more?! I was almost certain it'd be 200$ more in this case. There is a "sensen" set on eBay with lowering springs, don't recall the brand, for around 350-ish, plus mounts, would've cost me 200$ more than the 575$ quick struts in the end, should've went with that ****!!
I decided to go all out with Tokico and H&R. You can definitely save a lot of money with KYB and others, I just wanted a sportier, high end package.

Quick Reply: Rear Creaking Noise, Replaced Sway Bar Bushings, Still There