ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Oil change, gas type, and other questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-10, 10:17 AM
graziemile
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil change, gas type, and other questions

Hi,

I just purchased my first Lexus (used, 2003 ES 300) and would like to ask a couple of maintenance questions, please.

Since I just bought it, what kind of initial check/maintenance should I do?

Should oil/filter change be done at Lexus or local Sears / Jiffy Lube, etc are fine?

If it is okay to do oil change, etc at local service shops, should I ask for Lexus parts and pay more, or what they are offering is fine?

What kind of fuel should I use (89 or 91)? All the time? Sometimes? Once in a while?

Does the gas brand matter (Mobil, Shell, Arco, 76)?

Thanks very, very much!
-graziemile
Old 10-27-10, 10:42 AM
BDSL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Those are questions that you should have answers to before you buy the vehicle.....any vehicle.

"Since I just bought it, what kind of initial check/maintenance should I do?"
Did the previous owner give you all the maintenance record?

"Should oil/filter change be done at Lexus or local Sears / Jiffy Lube, etc are fine?
If it is okay to do oil change, etc at local service shops, should I ask for Lexus parts and pay more, or what they are offering is fine?"
Do it at local shop. You can provide your own part or use whatever they provide. I use OEM filters as price is roughly the same as aftermarket.

"What kind of fuel should I use (89 or 91)? All the time? Sometimes? Once in a while? Does the gas brand matter (Mobil, Shell, Arco, 76)?"
Owner manual recommends 91 but regular (87) is acceptable. Stick with Mobil and Shell....
Old 10-27-10, 11:06 AM
graziemile
Driver School Candidate

BDSL, Thank you so much!

I have no records at all as I got the car from a private party who had purchased it from an auction (it is salvaged, hit from the back). So, the reality is such. If I may ask a couple of follow-up questions:

I am also missing one of the original chrome wheels (the spare is currently on it). I called the dealer and a replacement is about $1500 or so.

Is there a place where I can get a used one for a decent price? Or should I just buy something that looks similar from Sears / America's Tire, etc?

Should I do a tune-up (since I just got the car and have no records)? Take it to Lexus dealer and ask for some sort of inspection? (the car drives and sounds very well).

Thanks again for your time.
-graziemile
Old 10-27-10, 11:21 AM
Bedore
Driver School Candidate

It would probably be a good idea to what I always do when I buy a used vehicle.

Change engine oil + filter

Change transmission fluid + filter

Drain, flush, and refill engine coolant

Change spark plugs, check wire condition and replace if needed, etc.

You didn't say what the mileage was but in your case I would replace the engine fluids, trans fluid, spark plugs, and check on the timing belt. YMMV.

As far a fuel brand doesn't matter. If you find a problem with one particular gas station's fuel, use another. Use 87. If you find your engine knocks, switch to a higher octane fuel.

Last edited by Bedore; 10-27-10 at 11:24 AM.
Old 10-27-10, 01:03 PM
graziemile
Driver School Candidate

Bedore, Thank you!

The car has 81K on it.

Thanks again.
Old 10-27-10, 02:04 PM
donbryce
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by graziemile
I am also missing one of the original chrome wheels (the spare is currently on it). I called the dealer and a replacement is about $1500 or so.
Is there a place where I can get a used one for a decent price? Or should I just buy something that looks similar from Sears / America's Tire, etc?
-graziemile
I found 4 nice OEM (I believe) chrome wheels on EBay. Do a search there. There are several on-line wheel suppliers too. Google away...