ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Liquid spill and need an urgent advice - please

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-10, 04:25 AM
satiger
Instructor

Received 90 Likes on 65 Posts
Default Liquid spill and need an urgent advice - please

Ok, my wife kept Starbucks coffee in the cub holder and accidently it got spilled around gear shift area (near the cub holder). Since then, gear shifting becomes little harder - sticky.

I would like to open the wood trim around the gear shift and clean it inside. The wood trim also has buttons for car seat heater. Please refer the photo attachment.

Can someone help me with the steps to dismandle the wood trim around gear shifter?. Mine is 2000 platinum model. Appreciate any help/lead on this.
Attached Thumbnails Liquid spill and need an urgent advice - please-car.gif  
Old 11-11-10, 03:06 AM
goldfishhh
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks like the secret is to put the car in 'N', unscrew the back part of the console and then remove the rest:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...struction.html

Originally Posted by satiger
Ok, my wife kept Starbucks coffee in the cub holder and accidently it got spilled around gear shift area (near the cub holder). Since then, gear shifting becomes little harder - sticky.

I would like to open the wood trim around the gear shift and clean it inside. The wood trim also has buttons for car seat heater. Please refer the photo attachment.

Can someone help me with the steps to dismandle the wood trim around gear shifter?. Mine is 2000 platinum model. Appreciate any help/lead on this.
Old 11-11-10, 04:23 AM
satiger
Instructor

Received 90 Likes on 65 Posts

Thanks for the response. I signed up for two days subscription at TIS and this is what I found in repair manual :

REMOVE UPPER CONSOLE PANEL
Using a screwdriver, remove the upper console panel.
HINT:
Tape the screwdriver tip before use

It is very simple. Just used a screw driver and with very light force, I opened and cleaned inside.

The spill also made seat heating switch to be sticky. That is also just mounted on the wood without any screws. However, I am not able to remove the switch from wire and repair manual (as far as I searched) is not showing how to replace them either. Any suggestion?
Old 11-11-10, 05:32 AM
donbryce
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm guessing these heater switches are the same as in my '93 es300. The switch connectors are probably at the power input under dash/consol and under each seat. Try removing them from the consol panel (friction fit with tiny clips, push up) , lay some newspaper or rags down, then spray with electrical contact cleaner with each switch upside down. A small brush might help to loosen the residue.