ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

'94 ES 300 Misfire Issues (among others)

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-10, 10:05 AM
davis449
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default '94 ES 300 Misfire Issues (among others)

I've posted in a couple other threads in here, but I figured I would make another one to see if I can get some help solving my issues.

Right after I bought the car it started misfiring the O\D light flashing. Threw codes for P0303 for a misfire in no. 3 cyl. and trans. codes 0500 and 0720. I had them replace the misfiring coil for no. 3 cyl. and put in a Auto Trans. Speed Sensor. They indicated initially that it needed an injector as well, but then recanted and claimed it was simply not getting any spark.

So, the car ran fine for a couple days and then the O\D light started flashing again and another code for misfire in no. 1 cyl. this time. By this time I had it at the dealer (because I just didn't trust the other guys) and they said $1300 for an ECM because it was still throwing the same two trans. codes and another $400+ for another coil. I said **** that and got my ECM re-manufactured, put a new coil in cyl. no. 1, and replaced all the spark plugs (they were all fouled all to hell, cyl. no. 1's worse than the rest). Now the O/D light is gone and there's no CEL, but the car is definitely still misfiring and there's now a strong fuel smell at initial startup. I drove it around a bit last night (it likes to die still, too) and could not get it to throw a code. Weird thing is that the RPM's are steady at idle, it just runs rough as hell. We (me and my fully qualified mechanic friend who works mostly on VW's) checked for vacuum leaks as well and couldn't find anything. Everything else with the car is fine. (the intake is clear, filter clean, and the car starts with no hesitation to indicate a battery\alternator\starter issue). I also let it sit overnight last night with the battery cable disconnected to let the ECU reset. Still same exact results: No CEL and no O/D light. Also thought I should mention the trans. goes smoothly between gears (P,R,N,D) with no clunks or noises that are out of the ordinary.

It's at the dealer right now (had to have it towed there) and I'm about at the end of my rope with troubleshooting it. Any ideas guys?
Old 11-10-10, 07:28 PM
brandoe91
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Take the engine cover off and look if the injectors are leaking.That can cause missfiring.Also when last you changed your spark plug wires?
Old 11-11-10, 07:22 AM
davis449
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by brandoe91
Take the engine cover off and look if the injectors are leaking.That can cause missfiring.Also when last you changed your spark plug wires?
The first shop I took the car to checked the injectors and said they were all fine, save for the one the mis-diagnosed on cyl. no. 3 because it wasn't firing properly. Now, they could've been full of **** and there could be another (or several) injectors that are screwed. I've suspected that as well, which is why I never returned the injector I bought. I left it in the car at the dealer, as a matter of fact, in case they find out one of them is ****ed. As for the plugs, there aren't any on this engine. It uses coils. Been through that drama already. Thanks for the suggestions anyway.
Old 11-13-10, 10:45 PM
brandoe91
Driver

I know we have coils but i'm talking about the wires like that goes to the coil pack.Get the ngk's.

Originally Posted by davis449
The first shop I took the car to checked the injectors and said they were all fine, save for the one the mis-diagnosed on cyl. no. 3 because it wasn't firing properly. Now, they could've been full of **** and there could be another (or several) injectors that are screwed. I've suspected that as well, which is why I never returned the injector I bought. I left it in the car at the dealer, as a matter of fact, in case they find out one of them is ****ed. As for the plugs, there aren't any on this engine. It uses coils. Been through that drama already. Thanks for the suggestions anyway.
Old 10-15-14, 06:57 PM
Fixemall
Driver School Candidate

If your injectors are running rich (just running gas into the cylinder due to being worn out) you should be able to tell by pulling a spark plug. Spark plug from cylinders with raw gas running into them will be black and wet when pulled.

If the plugs look 'normal', I'm betting its either a specific (electronic) injector control module, or the ECM.

Be warned, I am NOT a Lexus mechanic...
...but cylinders running lean leads to crusty white and crusty brown spark plugs.
...cylinders running rich leads to wet, black and sooty spark plugs.