ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Coilovers for 3ES?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-10 | 02:07 AM
QuachmanES
Lead Lap
CL Folding 25,000

Default Coilovers for 3ES?

Hey there,

So I've been thinking about getting some coilovers for my 1999 ES300, and was looking to get some opinions. Just curious about the general preference on coils vs. springs, spring rates, brands, etc.

I know that coilovers will be a lot stiffer than the stock suspension, but I want to know what spring rates offer what kind of ride, and how they feel in everyday driving since I don't have much experience with suspension

I've been leaning towards K Sport or Teins and I'm looking to spend somewhere around a grand, but I'm flexible.

Any answers are appreciated, or any other info too. Thanks!
Old 11-28-10 | 06:36 AM
PlatES300
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by QuachmanES
Hey there,

So I've been thinking about getting some coilovers for my 1999 ES300, and was looking to get some opinions. Just curious about the general preference on coils vs. springs, spring rates, brands, etc.

I know that coilovers will be a lot stiffer than the stock suspension, but I want to know what spring rates offer what kind of ride, and how they feel in everyday driving since I don't have much experience with suspension

I've been leaning towards K Sport or Teins and I'm looking to spend somewhere around a grand, but I'm flexible.

stay away from ksports. I've had them before and wouldn't recommend them to anyone. The tein's ride pretty soft from what others have told me. I actually have a set of BC Racing coilovers I'm looking to sell if you're interested. Used for about 6k miles.
Old 11-28-10 | 04:24 PM
QuachmanES
Lead Lap
CL Folding 25,000

Yeah, I saw that the spring rates on teins are soft compared to some other coils. What are the spring rates in your BC's and how does it ride?

I'm not really looking to buy right now, just doing some research. Thanks for the offer though, maybe in a few months after I save up some money haha.
Old 12-02-10 | 11:41 PM
radiokilla
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by QuachmanES
Hey there,

Well coilovers are mainly if you are looking to go for a more aggressive drop. They are way more expensive than lowering springs but coilovers have the advantage that you can adjust them to different heights often times you will see 36 way adjustable etc. Lowering springs will only yield a 2" drop maximum but if you do get lowering springs it is important to replace the OEM shocks because otherwise you risk blowing them out. When buying lowering springs you should also buy some Tokicko Illuminas (5-way Adjustable Dampening Shocks) or any type of heavy duty shock to compensate for the lowered ride height. As for specific coilovers Check out JIC Magic Coilovers made for the 99 Camry. The ES and the Camry pretty much share the same platform and it should readily swap over. With Coilovers you will definitely feel alot more of the bumps in the road surface and you may have to adjust your driving style if your car is excessively lowered so you don't end up busting and oil pan or ripping off your front bumper going up a speedbump.

Good Luck!