ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Gold Plated Emblems

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-02, 02:00 PM
642jdub
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gold Plated Emblems

I'm thinking of taking off the gold plating on my emblems. and go with the standard chrome. Does anyone know how to do this, or should I just buy some new ones. I also have gold plated Lexus emblems on my chrome rims. Any suggestions, thanks!
Old 08-04-02, 06:31 AM
TheBigGuyRy
Driver

I'm not sure , but I don't know if there's any real way to do this. While the big L's MAY have chrome underneath, I can't guarentee any of the other emblems do (since they're more plastic like than the L's)

When my golden L's were stolen, I just bought a whole new set of chrome emblems, and in my oppinion it looks so much better.
I would suggest just opting for the whole new set.

As for the rims, I just left the gold L's on there, since I planned on getting new rims eventually anyway.
Old 08-04-02, 09:05 AM
jgrooms
Driver

642jdub,

There is a difference between aftermarket and factory plating.

Awhile back I discussed the differences with a manufacturer of plating equipment, this is basically what he said:

Factory plating uses a more expensive and durable process which applies a heavier coat of plating material to the surface, whereas aftermarket only applies a thin coat. It takes several applications to build up a lasting plate. The thinner the plating is, the quicker it will fade or be damaged by waxing, buffing, etc.

One problem is that many aftermarket re-platers - in an effort to save time and material cost, or from a lack of knowledge, or both - do not apply a substantial amount of plating (they stop when the color "looks good", usually after one coat). Even if they do apply several coats, he admitted that the factory process and plating material is superior.

The bottom line: factory plating is significantly more durable than aftermarket re-plating, which is why the emblems are more expensive ($350 for factory emblems vs. an average of $200 for re-plating in my area).

In my opinion you would be better off getting a factory set rather than having yours re-plated. I think it's a better investment and you will be much happier in the long run.

If you're not in a hurry I would recommend searching ebay for both the emblems and wheel caps. It may take a while but they do show up occasionally. Or you could find someone who has chrome emblems and see if they are willing to trade for yours.

HTH,

- J
Old 08-04-02, 10:12 AM
EGainer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you are just looking to buy them, at my dealer, new emblems are between $22-$28 per piece. Which means that a whole set of four that is about $100.
Old 08-04-02, 10:53 AM
squarehat
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree with EGainer, it's a lot easier, cheaper, and better looking to buy stock chrome emblems than to have golds re-dipped in chrome.
On certain color cars, the Black Pearl emblems look very nice, but they're at least twice the price of the chromes (I've been checking them out myself).