ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Very rare '00 ES

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-10, 01:20 PM
Coulter
Intermediate

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

I remember a friend of mine's grandma special ordered a Lexus ES new with a cloth interior (she hated leather). It was a light gray "mouse fur" type cloth that made the car feel unbelievably cheap, she would have been better off just buying a Camry.

Some people though just hate leather, it's not a money issue. I would think it would kill the resale value, as 99% + of people buy a luxury car for a nice leather interior.
I can't imagine something like a Mercedes or Audi with a cloth interior.
Old 12-06-10, 01:41 PM
WAES300
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How's the headroom? Mine with the sunroof is barely passable for me.
Old 12-06-10, 01:49 PM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by KLF
I'm curious why some of you don't want a sunroof. I open mine all the time, I love it. I won't buy another car without one. Heck, I'm swapping a factory sunroof from an old 4Runner into the roof of my pickup truck!

I can understand not wanting leather, it can be a nuisance to maintain and looks awful as it gets older.
Some people just don't use theirs?

I don't know, if i didn't have one it wouldn't bug me in the least, but on a nice summer evening i always have it open with all the windows down. Then again the car without the sunroof looses easily 100lbs if not more off the curb weight.

Originally Posted by Coulter
I remember a friend of mine's grandma special ordered a Lexus ES new with a cloth interior (she hated leather). It was a light gray "mouse fur" type cloth that made the car feel unbelievably cheap, she would have been better off just buying a Camry.

Some people though just hate leather, it's not a money issue. I would think it would kill the resale value, as 99% + of people buy a luxury car for a nice leather interior.
Yeah it would kill resale since the potential buyer sees it as such, a 'cheap ***' bought the car and tried to save on the cost of the interior lol

Luckily for OP 500$ or less could get him a nice leather interior, or less if he would choose to wrap it and suede [or something] the door panels. *that's what i would do.
Old 12-06-10, 03:11 PM
Pyroibw
Pole Position

Originally Posted by KLF
I'm curious why some of you don't want a sunroof. I open mine all the time, I love it. I won't buy another car without one. Heck, I'm swapping a factory sunroof from an old 4Runner into the roof of my pickup truck!

I can understand not wanting leather, it can be a nuisance to maintain and looks awful as it gets older.
i hate driving with it open, i have pretty long hair and the **** goes everywhere when its open, lol. so its always closed, so it might as well just not be there..
Old 12-06-10, 03:25 PM
KLF
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

LOL... I just remembered. My dad bought a '04 Lincoln Town Car brand new. I swear the only reason he bought that car was because it was the last American-made car he could find that was RWD. Anyway, he hated some of the features like the back-up sensors, the huge 17" wheels, and the leather interior. He actually paid an upholstery shop to remove the leather from the driver's seating area, and substitute it with cushy velour. I thought it looked hideous, but he liked it.

Shoulda seen the look on the salesman's face when I took it and traded it for my Mom's new ES350 after he passed away.
Old 12-06-10, 03:47 PM
BoostedE21
Pole Position

This is a good example of how "rare" does not always equal "Desirable."
Old 12-06-10, 08:16 PM
yeskay
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

that is a custom ordered lexus. Any dealership can order for you.
Old 12-06-10, 08:54 PM
zazag
Driver School Candidate

So, it's a Canadian car?[/QUOTE]
Yes, the car is a Canadian car.
Old 12-06-10, 09:05 PM
zazag
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Coulter

In Europe you can get Mercedes or Audi with a cloth interior.
Old 12-06-10, 09:11 PM
zazag
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by BoostedE21
This is a good example of how "rare" does not always equal "Desirable."
Desirable to some but not to others should be the right way to put. Everybody's taste is never the same irrespective of cost.
I bought the car because it was desirable to me.
Old 12-06-10, 09:15 PM
zazag
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by WAES300
How's the headroom? Mine with the sunroof is barely passable for me.
Tons of headroom. No complaints there.
Old 12-06-10, 09:26 PM
Tatt22er
Driver School Candidate

[QUOTE=KLF;5976073] But I didn't know HID and auto-leveling headlights were even available back then.

My 98 LS400 has OEM auto-leveling HID's.
Old 12-06-10, 09:30 PM
zazag
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Pyroibw
omg, thats amazing i wish i did'nt have a sunroof.... like my leather though....
I don't miss the sunroof and the leather. In the past I've had a car with leather seats and sunroof. Mechanically the car was sound but the sunroof and leather seats induced nightmare. The leather seats not only cracked they were ripping apart. It was an eyesore. The sunroof leaked like a sieve despite several fixes so that left a bad taste in my mouth about these two items.
Old 12-06-10, 10:04 PM
88Legend
Pole Position

Sunroofs leak because the drain holes in the corners get clogged with dirt and other debris. But I love having my sunroof.

It is rare to have cloth seats, but I would rather have leather. Nice ES300 nonetheless.

OP, if you want to multi quote, click on the button that has the quotation marks on it and then click post reply.

Last edited by 88Legend; 12-06-10 at 10:10 PM.
Old 12-09-10, 07:37 AM
ZGadson
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by KLF

Agreed. I will never own a car without a sunroof. After having one, I'd feel claustrophobic without one. As far as leather goes, I like leather because your clothes dont bunch up on you when you slide into the seat.

Quick Reply: Very rare '00 ES