ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Did I screw up or is this problem not related?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-10, 01:17 PM
Lookyoung
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Did I screw up or is this problem not related?

My 2000 lexus ES 300 has a little over 108,000 miles! I noticed Thursday that my coolant appeared to be a little low. I went to the dealer and bought the coolant. The directions on the coolant said to use distilled water and to flush it.

I didn't flush it and I mixed it with tap water. Today while driving to work I notice my engine light is flashing. The car is running a little rough and when I am at a stop the car seems like it wants to move.

What could the problem be? Could it be the coolant?
Old 12-11-10, 02:23 PM
KLF
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No, using distilled water is highly recommended to keep the minerals in your tap water from getting deposited in your engine. Sounds like you only added a little, so it shouldn't matter. Did you mix it 50/50?

But I would be a little concerned about the coolant being low. There has to be a reason. Do you see any leaks anywhere? I would keep a close eye on the level now, check it each time you get gas to see if it is still going down. An engine should not be loosing coolant.

You need to find a code reader and see what it is telling you with the flashing light. AutoZone will do it for you for free.
Old 12-11-10, 02:28 PM
Lookyoung
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by KLF
No, using distilled water is highly recommended to keep the minerals in your tap water from getting deposited in your engine. Sounds like you only added a little, so it shouldn't matter. Did you mix it 50/50?

But I would be a little concerned about the coolant being low. There has to be a reason. Do you see any leaks anywhere? I would keep a close eye on the level now, check it each time you get gas to see if it is still going down. An engine should not be loosing coolant.

You need to find a code reader and see what it is telling you with the flashing light. AutoZone will do it for you for free.
I probably added a litte less than half of the bottle and mixed it with water 50/50. My battery died, and while my dad was jumping it he said the coolant looked low (the white reserve was nearly empty). I had no prior leaks.

I am going to call auto zone now! I never knew they had a code reader!
Old 12-11-10, 04:43 PM
PlatES300
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I don't think the coolant leak is related to the check engine light, but I could be wrong. However, the low coolant is definitely an issue. Is this the first time you've had to fill up the reservoir? If it becomes a frequent issue, you have a coolant leak somewhere. Have you done the 100k tune up yet? I would definitely check the water pump. I had this problem before and turns out the coolant was leaking from the water pump because the gasket had worn out. Good luck.
Old 12-11-10, 08:26 PM
TheCarGuy2
Driver School Candidate

Low coolant could in fact cause a blinking check engine light. If coolant is getting past the head gasket into one or more cylinders the coolant level would be going down and a misfire would likely develop, resulting in a blinking check engine light. Have seen it numerous times on GM 3800 engines.

Have the code pulled and see what's wrong.

-ASE master certified/Automotive Engineering degree.
Old 12-11-10, 10:28 PM
Lookyoung
Driver School Candidate

Am getting the code read tomorrow!

I didn't do my 100,000 mile or 105,000 mile service. I skipped both those services after going to the dealer for every single service before that. I am mad at myself for that but was looking to save money.

I never needed to add fluid to the car.

Thanks for the help. Will report what the code reader says tomorrow!
Old 12-12-10, 03:41 PM
BK4293
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

What part of Illinois you from???
A flashing check engine light usually means multiple misfires... Like stated before Autozone can give you the exact codes.
Old 12-12-10, 04:50 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

If i were you, i would have used prestone. My top radiator pipe was leaking so i replaced it for 21 bucks, bought the prestone 50/50 mix, added it and i have been fine since for about 2 months now
Old 12-12-10, 08:00 PM
Lookyoung
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by BK4293
What part of Illinois you from???
A flashing check engine light usually means multiple misfires... Like stated before Autozone can give you the exact codes.
I am from Niles. I actually went to autozone today and it said cylinder 1 was misfiring. Anyone knows how bad the dealer is going to rape me? Is this is a major problem? I am taking it to the dealer tomorrow!