ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Scratches

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-02, 09:08 PM
iNdoMeX
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Scratches

ive got a TON of scratches on my car .....ive heard of those creams or somethin that take out scratches on cars....seen em on tv and whatever....just wanted to know if anyone else has heard of em or used em ever.....if not a cream, what else could i use on my car to get em out cuz takin it to an auto repair place would just be pretty ridiculous cuz of the number of scratches on the car...thanx
Old 08-05-02, 09:10 PM
TheBigGuyRy
Driver

I could be wrong, but I think it would depend on the deepness of your scratches... the shallow ones would probably almost disappear, while it might improve the deeper ones also.
Old 08-05-02, 09:43 PM
iNdoMeX
Driver

theyre not very deep.....but like, what brand is good or whatever, i have no idea what to get
Old 08-06-02, 12:12 AM
meZoom!
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

what year/color is your car? most ES's have clear coat. if they are fine scratches in the clear coat, something like meguiar's "scratch X", available at pep boy type places, will take care of them. are there any dents, or are they scratches by themselves? also, if you wax your car, carnuba waxes will tend to help your situation by evenly covering light flaws, while polymer waxes will only make your scratches stand out.
Old 08-06-02, 07:14 PM
iNdoMeX
Driver

my cars black.....have you ever used any of these before?
Old 08-06-02, 08:21 PM
Daddy-O
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a black RX...Black cars are special.

How much do you want to spend?

$20? $50? 100$
Old 08-06-02, 10:06 PM
blux
Pole Position

dood black cars suck scratch wise....my black lex has way to many scracthes..I buffed out my hood pretty good with rubbing compound and then scratch x.....I used some professional stuff for my trunk....its just no go and then there are really bad swirls and stuff....its just never perfect in really bright sunlight...when its not so light its looks flawless..
Old 08-06-02, 10:16 PM
iNdoMeX
Driver

i dont wanna spend too much....like 30 bucks prolly....

well i think i gotta do somethin cuz its pretty ridiculous.......some idiot on my trunk somehow wrote "***" on it as a joke most prolly but it stayed......its not just somethin i can smear out but its not a scratch but im sure ill just be ableto get it out when i wax the car....i wanna get it done pretty soon
Old 08-07-02, 01:28 PM
meZoom!
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

lexus didn't clear coat their black ES's for a few years. what did the doofus use to write that on your trunk with? is it a scratch, smear, paint, or what?
i would: 1)wash car thoroughly with dishwashing liquid. 2)run a paint cleaner/compound/something of the sort all over the car 3)see what flaws are left after you have done step2 and evaluate. 4)possibly get new product/method and concentrate on the problem areas. 5)realize that whatever does not come out after step4 may never come out w/o professional help. 6)polish 7)wax 8)kick whoever vandalized your car in the butt.
Old 08-07-02, 03:02 PM
Daddy-O
Lexus Champion

If you can really feel the scratches with your fingertips, you'll need a pro with a machine buffer to correct this prob.

Otherwise, I recommend Meguiar's products. Available at Autozone, Advance Auto, Pep Boys...Some even at Wal-Mart.

So, for $30-$40 you can see good results and you'll have plenty of stuff left over to make your car look good.

Read more at Meguiars.com.

Try this:
1. Dawn wash
2. Meguiar's Paint cleaner(Medallion Premium Paint Cleaner) $10
3. Meguiar's Scratch-X (Black tube) Use on heaviest scratches. $10
4. Meguiar's # 7 show car glaze (Beige bottle...Hides scratches and swirl marks) $10
5. Wax it to seal. Do not use a cleaner wax, as it will strip all the polish and glaze you applied (Beige Bottle...Meguiars #26 Hi-tech Yellow wax liquid, or any good carnauba wax) $10

Or use the Meguiar's Deep Crystal 3 step system. Same stores...A little cheaper. Still get the Scratch-X, though.

1. Dawn Wash
2. Deep Crystal Paint Cleaner $7 (Burgundy bottle)
3. Meguiar's Scratch-X (Black tube) Use on heaviest scratches. $10
4. Deep Crystal Polish $7 (Burgundy bottle)
5. Deep Crystal System Carnauba Wax $7 (Burgundy bottle)

You'll need some clean all cotton towels to buff off the polish, glaze and wax.

There are plenty of similar products out there, but these work very well. Black cars really need the polish and glaze to look good. Here's a tip: Never buy a black car, unless you have a garage to keep it in.

Good luck.
Old 08-08-02, 09:40 PM
iNdoMeX
Driver

thanx everyone! it helped a lot.....i do have a garage to keep it in and it stays there but when i go ot school, it goes with me and its outside in the parking lot
Old 08-09-02, 03:39 AM
Daddy-O
Lexus Champion

Cool, a gragae...A geat place to work on scratch removal!

One last note...Dawn wash just this time, unless you want to strip off the polish, glaze and wax. Once you've waxed the car, switch to a milder type of "car" wash.
Old 08-09-02, 07:42 AM
blux
Pole Position

after you wax and glaze, is it okay to wash with the meguiars car soap? It says it wont strip wax, but it always seems after I wash the car the wax is gone. What kind of drying method do you use? I have been using like a water blade and some terry cloths, it always seems like I'm waxing the next week. Maybe I'm being rough on the drying. I do usually use a pressure washer to rinse my car too. Any ideas? And which system do you prefer? the crystal thing or the regular mequiars?
Old 08-09-02, 08:29 AM
blux
Pole Position

After I read this thread, I decided that my paint was begining to look like crap. I mean, I wash it almost daily, wax at least once a week. But it just wasnt looking that good. I'm going to do these steps from now on.

1. Gold Class Premium Car Wash
2. Scratch-X for tough scratches, Meguiars Paint Cleaner (medallion premium)
3. Deep crystal system polish
4. #7 Show car glaze
5. Gold Class Clear coat car wax
6. Quick Wax, for maintaining
7. Quick Detailing mist, (maintaining)

I'm hoping this will make my black finish look good, I guess I have never used a polish before, or a glaze. This must be why none of my swirls go away after waxing. I cant wait to run up to the auto store and stock up...whoo hoooo!
Old 08-09-02, 11:23 AM
Daddy-O
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by blux
1. Gold Class Premium Car Wash
2. Scratch-X for tough scratches, Meguiars Paint Cleaner (medallion premium)
3. Deep crystal system polish
4. #7 Show car glaze
5. Gold Class Clear coat car wax
6. Quick Wax, for maintaining
7. Quick Detailing mist, (maintaining)
blux,

Step 3 and 4 are redundant.
Polish and glaze are essentially the same thing. Think of these as "makeup" for your car. I use #7. I works great, but please note, no product like this will get all the swirl marks. It's just makeup.

Step 5. Meguiar's Gold Class wax is a cleaner wax. It will strip some of the polish you've just laid down. Meguiar's #26 liquid is a brilliant, durable carnauba. Smells like bananas, too

Step 6 Meguiar's Qwik Wax...Unecessary, if you're going to wax as regularly as you say. Just use the Quik Detailer to remove dust.

Think about getting a California Car Duster. If used properly, it can save a lot of time and help remove dust. Get the one with the plastic handle in the black vinyl storage pouch. Usually 9.95 at Autozone, Advance Auto or Pep Boys.
http://shop.store.yahoo.com/rodi/ac62443.html

If you're going to wax regularly (every 1-3 weeks), I recommend S100 paste wax. S100 is German product. Actually, it's a motorcycle wax that is the same formulation as their car wax, P21S. P21S sells for $25, whereas S100 sell for $15. Here's an S100 pic.

S100 goes on and comes off easier than any wax I've ever used. I can wax my RX 300 with S100 in 30 minutes. This is a product that defines the expression, wax on/wax off. I use it as a topper for Meg's #26.

Check out these pics. S100 on #26.

Call your local Harley-Davidson dealer and see if they have S100 ($15).

Lastly, if you're going into a 5 step program:
1.Wash, 2.Clean paint, 3.Polish/Glaze, 4.Wax, 5.QDetailer, you'll need plenty of clean 100% cotton towels or a bunch of quality microfiber towels. Dirty towels carry dust and dirt...the cause of scratches.

1. Gold Class Premium Car Wash,
2. Meguiars Paint Cleaner (medallion premium)
3. #7 Show car glaze
4. #26 (or S100 if you're going to wax regularly)
5. Quick Detailing mist, (maintaining)

Good luck...

If you want to know everything about this subject, visit autopia.ws

edit-sp.

Last edited by Daddy-O; 08-09-02 at 11:27 AM.

Quick Reply: Scratches