ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Newb to the site! having issues with my car

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-10 | 10:24 AM
uniment2b
Driver School Candidate

Lightbulb Newb to the site! having issues with my car

Hello everyone!

I'm here to learn a thing or two about my Lexus so I don't get scammed by mechanics. I have a Lexus ES300 2000. I've had it for over a year now with no problem, keeping up with maintenance. but I've been having some issues with it lately. The headlights didn't work so well and the mechanic fixed the wiring, but now my DVD player only reads the first 3 slots and not the rest. I created a new CD but it won't read it. I'm wondering if the two had anything to do with each other? I haven't been listening to music out of respect for someone close that passed away, but now that I am, it's weird that it doesn't work. I also noticed I have a leak in the back hood with all the rain lately, is it dangerous to ride the car because of that? I really don't know how cars work, but I'm determined to know something LOL. I don't have anybody to ask, so I'm hoping to learn it here. I would appreciate any and all advice! thanks!!!
Old 12-17-10 | 01:46 PM
88Legend
Pole Position

Welcome to the site.

Can you describe in more detail what is wrong with your headlights? Are they fixed now?

I think you meant to type CD player, not DVD player, correct? These CDs have to be in upside down to read and the CD trays have to go in a certain way. It could be a problem with the CD changer itself.

Describe the leak better. I am good at tracking down leaks. But I don't know what back hood is.
Old 12-17-10 | 06:32 PM
uniment2b
Driver School Candidate

thanks for getting back^
yep, headlights fixed. I guess if the wiring is not connected with this problem, it's the CD changer itself. wondering if going to autozone will help?

and If it's not a problem driving with a leak, I'll wait, because I have finals coming up...
it's in the trunk...the place where there's a spare tire. sorry, not so smart when it comes to talking about cars..
Old 12-17-10 | 07:36 PM
Specter
Driver

Welcome.

#1... ALWAYS assume mechanics are trying to scam you. Smart to educate yourself before you go in.

#2... You got the lights fixed... What was wrong ?

#3... Don't go to Autozone to have the CD checked out. If you have the CD instructions read up. Make sure they are all facing the right way. Some CD's are not recognized.

#4... The leak probably is water getting past the seals around the trunk and dripping into the spare tire well. You can test this by spraying some water and seeing if it goes in.
Old 12-18-10 | 05:50 PM
uniment2b
Driver School Candidate

Thanks^

I had the back lights that wouldn't turn on on all the way...the mid portion wouldn't be on at night. and I would get a yellow signal in the front. the mechanic undid the whole wiring and showed me that two of them didn't connect, so he connected those. he charged me $50 for that. but I still have the signal in the front everytime I drive at night. he said they'll always be on.

as far as the CDs go, I had them work okay before. now they just don't read all the slots. it would say ERR2 or something like that after loading...
Old 12-18-10 | 05:57 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

When you're trying all the CD slots, make sure you do it first using store-bought (not burned) CDs in all the positions. Some burned CDs have problems being read.
Old 12-23-10 | 07:32 PM
uniment2b
Driver School Candidate

thanks, worked today though