ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Oil filters

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-11, 12:12 PM
Coulter
Intermediate

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexus2000
This is simply wrong, I wish people would do actual research before posting stuff like this. Toyota filters are excellent, one of the best out there (made by Denso, the best in the business).

See here.

The TRD filters are even better.
Calm down.

According to this site, Toyota oil filters are also made by Purolator, a common parts store brand:
http://www.corolland.com/oil-filters.html

Toyota uses several outsourced manufacturers to make their parts (FYI, Denso makes parts for all sorts of car companies, not just Toyota) Toyota just puts their name on it.

Regardless, its ridiculous to think Toyota has some magical oil filter. Your engine is not going to blow up if you use a comparable quality oil filter.

All the car manufacturers have oil filters that they just slap their name on and charge a premium. Don't drink the Kool-Aid.
Old 01-30-11, 12:17 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

That is true. All Toyota filters are outsourced. OEM isn't always the best because some of the OEM toyota filters I've seen are no better than the Frams you get out there. Good OEM filters (ie. made in Japan by Denso) are hard to come by and the ones sold nowadays are cheap(er).

I bet majority of the DIY'ers do not use OEM filters, but you don't see engines blowing left and right.
Old 01-30-11, 12:28 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,828 Likes on 2,391 Posts

Originally Posted by Coulter
Calm down.

According to this site, Toyota oil filters are also made by Purolator, a common parts store brand:
http://www.corolland.com/oil-filters.html
What he actually says is:

This filter is probably a Purolator as the by-pass valve is a Purolator-type design.

He makes a conclusion based on the by-pass valve being similar to a Purolator, nothing else. BTW, that info is 8 years old.
Old 01-30-11, 12:36 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Purolator use to be one of the OEM suppliers for Toyota. US-based Denso and Purolator had a joint venture in Jackson, Tennessee and produced a company called TBDN which made OEM filters. This is why some of the OE filters look like the Purolators off the shelf.

Manufacturing changes all the time so one day it can be made by Purolator, the next day it could be made by Filtech.
Old 01-30-11, 01:06 PM
Coulter
Intermediate

What he actually says is:

This filter is probably a Purolator as the by-pass valve is a Purolator-type design.

He makes a conclusion based on the by-pass valve being similar to a Purolator, nothing else. BTW, that info is 8 years old.
Here's a direct quote from the article

"Toyota filters are made by Purolator"

Also, here's a link to a news article where Toyota awarded their supplier PUROLATOR for their standards in excellence.

http://motorage.search-autoparts.com.../detail/649725

Quit digging, it's clear you know nothing about this yet you scold people for not doing research before posting.
If you think there's incorrect information being posted, there's more constructive ways of addressing it without trying to insult people.
Old 01-30-11, 01:50 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

"Toyota filters are made by Purolator"
Can you provide any other source besides that one 8 year old link? Thanks.
Also, here's a link to a news article where Toyota awarded their supplier PUROLATOR for their standards in excellence.

http://motorage.search-autoparts.com.../detail/649725
What does that have to do with Denso?
Quit digging, it's clear you know nothing about this yet you scold people for not doing research before posting.
If you think there's incorrect information being posted, there's more constructive ways of addressing it without trying to insult people.
You said:

but I definitely wouldn't go out of my way to buy these filters at a local dealership, they're just rebranded parts store brands but at twice the price.

This is simply wrong, and I pointed this out. BTW, Purolater makes an excellent filter, and is not a cheap "store brand" at all.
Old 01-30-11, 03:55 PM
Coulter
Intermediate

Can you provide any other source besides that one 8 year old link? Thanks.

What does that have to do with Denso?

You said:

but I definitely wouldn't go out of my way to buy these filters at a local dealership, they're just rebranded parts store brands but at twice the price.

This is simply wrong, and I pointed this out. BTW, Purolater makes an excellent filter, and is not a cheap "store brand" at all.
Can you provide evidence that Purolator doesn't make oil filters for Toyota?
I just linked an article showing an award Toyota gave them for the quality work they had done as one of THEIR suppliers. The article was dated in 2009.

I really don't even know what your trying to argue at this point, and others here have backed up what I was saying. My comment was just to point out that Toyota outsources the production of their oil filters to outside vendors, and then sells them with their name on it. Something most manufacturers do, you can get the same quality (and same filters) at a regular parts store without going to a dealership, and usually for much less money. Denso is one such supplier for Toyota, as well as Purolator. A "parts store" brand oil filter means one you can find at places like NAPA, CarQuest, etc, it's not an insult to the brand or quality. These places also sell Denso-made parts (which apparently is made by the gods)

I'm going to leave at that. The old saying, "Don't argue with an idiot; people watching may not be able to tell the difference" is true in a lot of ways.
Old 01-30-11, 04:58 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Can you provide evidence that Purolator doesn't make oil filters for Toyota?
Can you provide evidence that Toyota doesn't contract out the tooth fairy for suspension parts? I think not.

I only pointed out that a Denso filter is not the same as some house brand cheap unit, that's it. If I had left your post to stand, some people might have read it and concluded that Denso filters are no better than some of the crap they buy at their corner parts supplier, which is flat out untrue.

BTW, have you actually checked out the prices of filters from the dealer? Because if you had, you'd know that they don't cost anymore than a quality aftermarket filter. Which is why the Denso units are generally highly regarded and recommended. I guess I have a little more faith in Toyota than you do to provide a quality part.
I'm going to leave at that. The old saying, "Don't argue with an idiot; people watching may not be able to tell the difference" is true in a lot of ways.
No need to degenerate into insulting people, argue the facts don't make it personal.

FYI, a quick check on part#90915-yzzf1 compared to a Fram equivalent shows about the same price, $5.50. Fram is generally not a highly regarded filter, although some of their filters are decent.
Old 01-30-11, 05:18 PM
92sc300nj
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

do to the dealership and get one.. its not that bad.. its not the same price as a wix but it def. filters a lot better. its a D1 filter. trd one is better but more expensive.. no need tho for it.
Old 01-31-11, 07:09 AM
sethjon
Driver

Originally Posted by PFB
Although your statement is true in general, please remember that those parts are manufactured to Toyota/Lexus' own specification.

So in the case of Oil Filters for example, even though the Oil filter manufacturer may be selling his own branded Oil filter, and may also be making them for others under various brand names, the specifications, and quality of the ones that he makes for Toyota/Lexus under contract are manufactured to Toyota/Lexus' unique specs. And only Toyota/Lexus would be in the best position to determine what those specifications should be.

Not only that, the Quality Control would also be different, and most likely of a higher standard. So the chances of you ending up with a defective Oil Filter are extremely low.
You are kidding yourself. I've been overseas in enough factories for source inspection and there is virtually no QC. And as far as specs go, most of them go along with what the factory suggests. By putting their own name on it only assures one thing and thats the price goes up.
Old 01-31-11, 07:11 AM
sethjon
Driver

Originally Posted by PFB
Although your statement is true in general, please remember that those parts are manufactured to Toyota/Lexus' own specification.

So in the case of Oil Filters for example, even though the Oil filter manufacturer may be selling his own branded Oil filter, and may also be making them for others under various brand names, the specifications, and quality of the ones that he makes for Toyota/Lexus under contract are manufactured to Toyota/Lexus' unique specs. And only Toyota/Lexus would be in the best position to determine what those specifications should be.

Not only that, the Quality Control would also be different, and most likely of a higher standard. So the chances of you ending up with a defective Oil Filter are extremely low.
In most of the overseas factories QC is not done very well. They make parts as fast as possible and cheat on the actual quality in order to make more profit. I've seen it with my own eyes and if you don't believe that then I have some marsh land for sale you can buy.
Old 01-31-11, 07:16 AM
sethjon
Driver

Originally Posted by KLF
I teach at a large university, in a program that offers classes in small engine repair and maintenance (I don't teach these classes, but a close associate does). A few years ago we gathered up a bunch of oil filters from many manufacturers, and carefully sliced them open on a lathe. This was not an exhaustive study, mostly something we did for fun. Truthfully unscientific, take it FWIW...

The only brand that stood out as being sub-standard was Fram. Terrible construction inside. We tried several, from the cheapest WalMart ones to the fancy ones with the grippy stuff on the end. As far as we could tell they were all the same quality inside, maybe with slightly different construction (the way the pleated paper was folded, for instance). Insufficient adhesive on the ends of the paper cartridge allows unfiltered oil to bypass the pleated section. No string around the pleated part, so if the paper started to get clogged, it would just rip. The anti-drainback valves were completely worthless, there is no way they could function in the way they were built, they were too small to cover the holes around the perimeter. The bypass valve also seemed kinda weak, although we didn't have a way to actually test it. They probably did this to keep the unrestrained pleats from coming apart.

I suppose I shouldn't be surprised they are still the most popular filter brand on the market, proof that popularity has nothing to do with quality, it's all about marketing. There are countless other products that are in this position, but I won't offend by posting other examples.

Other than that brand, we really couldn't see any that we thought were poorly built and we wouldn't run. We tried Toyota, Honda, Ford, GM, Dodge, and a few other OEMs, as well as a bunch of generic brands. Wix looked well made, BTW.

I always run only Toyota OEM filters. If you get the correct source and buy them by the case, you can get them for ~$4 each (DON'T buy them from Lexus, they are waaay overpriced). But, even at $6-7 each, isn't your engine worth it? How much do some of you spend on coffee, beer, or cigarettes?

What you say sounds interesting. I don't agree however with most of it however being in the different factories and watching 2 different assembly lines being made exactly the same for different brands. That's precisely why when things were actually made in the US things were better.
Old 01-31-11, 05:01 PM
PFB
Lexus Champion

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

Sethjon,

I can not conceive of any major car manufacturer, dealing with a factory that is not ISOxxxx (international Standards organization) approved.

So any such factory would have to meet all the ISO strict relevant standards, else they would loose their ISO certification, and quickly be out of business.

In view of that, I think that your comments are somewhat inappropriate
Old 01-31-11, 08:08 PM
Toofasgtp
Driver

A great site to read over is http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php

I been using a purolator pure one (its gold) since my last car (Supercharged Buick Regal GS)
Old 01-31-11, 09:01 PM
LexFather

^^^ That is a great site. Good info in this thread too.

Quick Reply: Oil filters