ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Broken Nipple Fix (Mystery Hose)

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-11 | 01:06 PM
lex2001
Driver

Default Broken Nipple Fix (Mystery Hose)

Thanks to the members who helped me with my "mystery hose" problem.

I had a hose that was not connected and I couldn't figure out where it went. Several members here assisted me and thankfully it's location was determined. I'll share how I fixed it and maybe it will help someone in the future.

A hose attached to my idle control valve became detached when the plastic nipple broke off of the valve. The nipple was still in the hose. I took the valve off and could see there was approx 3/8 to 1/2" of depth in the valve where I could install a new fitting (a new valve costs $250).

My initial plan was to buy a plastic fitting and glue it into the hole. I realized that with the shallow depth of 3/8 to 1/2" there would not be a lot of surface area to hold the new fitting so I planned on securing the hose after it was installed so it couldn't move thereby reducing any movement to the new fitting.

Two hardware stores and two auto parts stores later and no go. I never imagined it would be that hard to find a piece of plastic pipe with a 5/16" outside diameter.

I ended up at a Menard's and bought a 1/2" Delkin brass plumbing fitting that was 1" long. I could just barely push the plumbing fitting into the beginning of the hole on the valve. I knew it would work, just not by finger strength. I marked the depth I wanted it to go in on the brass fitting with a pencil and the I started it by hand and put it in a bench vise. Slow easy pressure tightening the vise pushed it in. I don't think I could get it out with vise grips now. There was a flared end on the fitting that I cut off after it was installed.

Total cost $1.50 and three hours of my time running around.
Old 02-06-11 | 08:01 AM
dewinks
Driver School Candidate

Fine job........you're obviously an experienced redneck engineer!!!! We would get along good. These posts should be in the DIY posts, under a sub title like Duct Tape Fixes or something. hahahahah. Anyone who keeps their money instead of sending it to the OEM, is a hero in my book.