ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Trunk size/Dynamat help

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-11, 04:48 PM
funcrusher
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Trunk size/Dynamat help

I'm ordering some dynamat for my 02 ES trunk and was wondering how much I would need for one layer? They break it down by square feet.
Old 02-11-11, 10:29 PM
xsh0tya
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dynamat sells various kits the trunk kits is 20 sq ft. That is all you need to do just the trunk (more than enough actually) but if I were you I would just do the whole car. They sell a bulk kit which is the 36 sq ft which will do the doors and such as well pretty much the whole vechicle and then some... or they have the mega bulk kit which is 72 sq ft and that will do your car and your home.
Do you have a good source for the dynmat? If not and your paying retail or close to it I would consider going with fatmat or some of the other companies... dynmat is great but expensive, you can get the same results for alot less money with some of the other products.
Old 02-11-11, 10:43 PM
funcrusher
Racer

Yeah, I'm not using dynamat. Its very overpriced but I didn't want to confuse anyone with another brand name in the title u know. I'm not going to do the doors YET. I just wanna handle the trunk right now
Old 02-11-11, 10:55 PM
xsh0tya
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by funcrusher
Yeah, I'm not using dynamat. Its very overpriced but I didn't want to confuse anyone with another brand name in the title u know. I'm not going to do the doors YET. I just wanna handle the trunk right now
Makes sense.. do you have rattling now or just looking to gain some db?
Old 02-11-11, 11:19 PM
funcrusher
Racer

Originally Posted by xsh0tya
Makes sense.. do you have rattling now or just looking to gain some db?
I haven't put my subs in yet. I was going to but I knew I would of gotten lazy and not messed with Dynamat after the box was in the trunk. Its my first nice car and I'm treating it good, no more ghetto set ups
Old 02-12-11, 08:40 AM
xsh0tya
Lexus Test Driver

Yea I can def understand that... same thing happened to me and Im yet put my subs in... but with my set up I was thinking I was going to get it put in for sure but talked to a sound deadening expert (actually got his name from the audio/video forum) he recommended that I get them installed first than he would recommend either tiles or the sheets to use depending on where I was getting noise from. Took his advice and didnt end up needing it. So I'll pass on the advice to you.
By the way what are you putting in?
Old 02-12-11, 09:33 AM
funcrusher
Racer

Originally Posted by xsh0tya
Yea I can def understand that... same thing happened to me and Im yet put my subs in... but with my set up I was thinking I was going to get it put in for sure but talked to a sound deadening expert (actually got his name from the audio/video forum) he recommended that I get them installed first than he would recommend either tiles or the sheets to use depending on where I was getting noise from. Took his advice and didnt end up needing it. So I'll pass on the advice to you.
By the way what are you putting in?
I've never heard of that. I go to sound domain's forum for all my car audio questions and help

I got 2 kicker cvx 12's and a kicker zx1500 amp
Old 02-12-11, 09:48 AM
xsh0tya
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by funcrusher
I've never heard of that. I go to sound domain's forum for all my car audio questions and help

I got 2 kicker cvx 12's and a kicker zx1500 amp
Yea I was surprised at first too, but it worked for me... heres the emails I recieved:
Sorry for the slow response.A Lexus is a little challenging because it should be pretty solid to start with. Rattles may be an issue when you introduce a sub, but they really need to be tracked down individual. A rattle is always two hard objects, one or both of which is vibrating and making intermittent contact with the other. The best solutions are to lock the objects down or isolate them from each other so that they don't make contact. Sheet metal resonance may be an issue, but Lexus has been through a range of techniques to control it. If the quarter panels, trunk floor or trunk lid sound "ringy" when you tap on them, a vibration damper like the CLD Tiles I sell may appropriate. Same goes for the roof and door since sound will obviously be traveling from the trunk into the passenger compartment.
Old 02-12-11, 09:54 AM
xsh0tya
Lexus Test Driver

I replied:
No problem thank you for the response. I am having my system installed friday, so from what I understand I should wait for the install and see where there is rattling and contact you and then we can find a solution?
The response:
That would be my suggestion, unless the quarter panels and trunk lid are very resonant when you knock on them - which I doubt.
So... up to you I took his advice and was pleased with the result but to each their own... when my system needs a lil bit more, Im going to install some in the car to raise the db with the same equipment and get that benz sound when shutting my doors. Also I should mention I was a lil bias becuase I wanted to keep the weight down. (I know bipolar)
Old 02-12-11, 11:26 AM
funcrusher
Racer

well, I guess I can't compare it with no dynamat and with it. I know putting some has to help the bass stay inside at least a little.

20 square feet is enough?
Old 02-12-11, 11:44 AM
xsh0tya
Lexus Test Driver

Yea I would say so... check with the type of dynamat your ordering and see how much area you have to cover some say 75%, some more, some less. Once you know that you can go out to your trunk and take measurements... roughly you'll know how much area you need to cover. You'll just need a length and width of course and just add them up for the panels.