ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Noticed rust appearing...

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-11, 12:54 PM
imherenow
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Unhappy Noticed rust appearing...

so ya i have noticed some rust here n there..What should i do ..can i make it go away i guess sanding n repaint it huh..but any way to prevent/avoid or protect it... anything i could do in spring/summer?
Old 02-18-11, 12:57 PM
snowmaker
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

and the year of there car?
Old 02-18-11, 01:43 PM
aykay514
Driver School Candidate

well i study in auto body work and if you starting to see some rust here n there that means its already spreading out from the inside im sure you heard it car rusts are like a cancer. you can sand it and repaint it but will not solve the problem. you can slow down the process by a mechanic and do the rust treatement or a cheaper way and sure helps you can use ''Vaseline''. And the only way to remove rust perm. is to cut off the whole body part that is rusted even more and use a metal sheet to weld by MIG, then body filling and finally yes you can sand it and repaint it.
Old 02-18-11, 02:57 PM
PFB
Lexus Champion

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

^^^^Fully Agree

You don't mention where the rust is, but typically in those models rust shows up low around the rear quarter panels, near to where they meet the lower cladding, as well as around the wheel well

Either way, if you remove both the left and right sides of the trunk covers, you will see where the rust had started, and than spread to the outside. So you must treat that area as well.

For those that don't have any visible rust yet on the outside, performing the above procedure as preventive maintenance, will almost guarantee to eliminate future rust problems in those areas

Phil

Last edited by PFB; 02-18-11 at 03:07 PM.
Old 02-18-11, 03:28 PM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by aykay514
well i study in auto body work and if you starting to see some rust here n there that means its already spreading out from the inside im sure you heard it car rusts are like a cancer. you can sand it and repaint it but will not solve the problem. you can slow down the process by a mechanic and do the rust treatement or a cheaper way and sure helps you can use ''Vaseline''. And the only way to remove rust perm. is to cut off the whole body part that is rusted even more and use a metal sheet to weld by MIG, then body filling and finally yes you can sand it and repaint it.
Very true... i've been 're-doing' my body work each summer and it last roughly a year before i gotta re-do it. Like this:

To this: [not the cleanest job on earth, but not noticeable unless looking closely]

Old 02-19-11, 12:43 PM
aykay514
Driver School Candidate

yeah i see what you did, and trust me it will come back your rust is much deeper than that if youre doing every summer that means the cancer is much deeper than you see(maybe if you can remove the splash guard you can clearly see where the rust started) well for ow you can spray the rust treatement or Vaseline it right above your wheels should greatly them slow down. For us Canadians rust is hell b'cause of the snow, salt and dirty slushes (even humidity and cold nights can cause rust for our Southern Folks) lol... nicely painted but you could of tried to blend in the rest of your quarter panel :P
Old 02-19-11, 04:35 PM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

^^ I know, it was the end of the summer and i said **** it! lol

But yeah, these cars trunks are really bad sicne the water drainage doesn't always work and the wheel well area gets rusted too.

I will try and get the body in shape again this year, except by the pros!
Old 02-20-11, 06:49 AM
imherenow
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by snowmaker
and the year of there car?
Tis a 2000

Ya will do rust treatment..just hate it
Old 02-20-11, 12:41 PM
snowmaker
Driver

Originally Posted by akabond
Tis a 2000

Ya will do rust treatment..just hate it
Normal for these years..Get used to it..My 99 did it and have the rear re-painted.
Old 02-27-11, 06:35 PM
marcoes300
Lead Lap

here in montreal we have a shop named Doityourself. they sell everything you need to restor damage whatever if its caused by rust or accident. idont know if you saw the pick of my accident but i bought everything to repair and repaint my front fender and cost me a big 80 $ lol and they give you link to there website where they put instructional video to show you how to do the job to have the best result, its very easy if you take your time and honesly, if you dont know i had a accident you ill not see anything on the fender ,,, just like stock one !
Old 02-28-11, 05:36 PM
aykay514
Driver School Candidate

cool lemme know if you have the website
Old 03-01-11, 02:58 AM
marcoes300
Lead Lap

there you go http://www.robertspaintcare.com/
Old 03-01-11, 01:39 PM
snowmaker
Driver

The DIY route will never be a pro job..Not gonna happen. Either wet sanding, fading into old, getting rust out 100% etc..You will buy time but not last for year...Been there done that.
Old 03-01-11, 04:09 PM
marcoes300
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by snowmaker
The DIY route will never be a pro job..Not gonna happen. Either wet sanding, fading into old, getting rust out 100% etc..You will buy time but not last for year...Been there done that.
DID YOU ever tryed with good product ( not wal mart paint by the way ) and did you know how to do the job ? hum not sure , many of my friend did that kong of stuff on their civic and rust never came back ...

this only show that you can read review of ppl doing **** and that you never seen a good job using this way ...
Old 03-02-11, 12:26 PM
snowmaker
Driver

Originally Posted by marcoes300
DID YOU ever tryed with good product ( not wal mart paint by the way ) and did you know how to do the job ? hum not sure , many of my friend did that kong of stuff on their civic and rust never came back ...

this only show that you can read review of ppl doing **** and that you never seen a good job using this way ...
Yup, all pro stuff I got from a body shop (buddy owns)...Again, I tried and you WILL NOT get a pro job. You own a Lexus peps, pay the small amount of money and get it done right..

For me, 8 hours at work and I get a complete rear down and looks OEM...Not worth the effort.

Quick Reply: Noticed rust appearing...