ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Clear Coat peeling, I dont see any option IDEAS please

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-11, 12:13 PM
exxonham
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Clear Coat peeling, I dont see any option IDEAS please

Hey everyone well after a hard snow about month ago, I was getting all the snow off and BAME. Then I noticed as you can see in the pics, It has gottin little worse week by week. So what Im asking yall is, What do I do?
: Options, The only real one that I read about is repaint the hood, which Is not an option so is there any other options, ie sand wet sand down with 1500 2000 grit so maybe it will stop peeling or I could sand down and spray light coat of clear coat on it but It wont be nearly as good as factory and will prob look like ****,

So my main question is, is there any way to just stop it!

see the rest of the paint is near perfict, have no idea why one side just decided to peel, ughhh

And check out this other gay ****, my mirrors are peeling I think previous owner had some chips on the mirrors and touched them up with toyota paint pen. But after washing it all the time the paint just keeps on peeling.

So anyone else have one of these happen? and with the mirrors im going to take mirror off and buy a can of toyota spray touch up, sand it down and do a serious tapingand paint any other ideas, thanks
Michael
Old 03-05-11, 02:54 PM
eyezack87
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Most of the time it requires a complete repaint but a shop MIGHT be able to salvage it. I personally wouldn't attempt respraying myself since I noticed that the clear's solvents actually cause the surrounding clear to lift up if it isn't sanded down perfectly level
Old 03-05-11, 04:27 PM
PFB
Lexus Champion

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

If you do an Internet search on "Peeling clear coat" you will find numerous articles detailing and explaining the causes, and repair options.

There are also several YouTube videos on this subject, some with a Lexus as the culprit.
Old 03-06-11, 08:40 AM
Megafast13
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Having the panel repainted is unfortunately your only option.

It is caused from either bad job at the factor (which I doubt), Neglect such as not being waxed or left outside it's whole life, etc.

It is most likely going to start happening to your other panels, especially the ones exposed to the environment the most like the roof, hood, etc. So you could either have the entire car repainted, or take it one panel at a time.
Old 03-09-11, 01:30 PM
exxonham
Driver

Originally Posted by eyezack87
Most of the time it requires a complete repaint but a shop MIGHT be able to salvage it. I personally wouldn't attempt respraying myself since I noticed that the clear's solvents actually cause the surrounding clear to lift up if it isn't sanded down perfectly level
Ya i was thinking of spraying light coat of clear around the affected area and tape the rest, check this morn and just getting worse ughh
Old 03-09-11, 01:32 PM
exxonham
Driver

Originally Posted by Megafast13
Having the panel repainted is unfortunately your only option.

It is caused from either bad job at the factor (which I doubt), Neglect such as not being waxed or left outside it's whole life, etc.

It is most likely going to start happening to your other panels, especially the ones exposed to the environment the most like the roof, hood, etc. So you could either have the entire car repainted, or take it one panel at a time.
Ya I know bro but thing is the rest of the car is flawless, and its the hood so if i did I would just repaint the hood, But thats not an option, But all I want is for it to stop peeling or if I can cover it up with something
Old 03-09-11, 02:13 PM
BradTank
Racer

Received 176 Likes on 121 Posts

I would talk to a body shop and see what they would charge for just the areas affected. The hood doesn't look that bad, but the side mirror panels is probably what I would have redone. I would probably just paint myself satin black with a spray can and call it a day. That would blend in and be cheap.

It sucks that it's happening, probably the best thing you could do to slow it down is just keep it out of the sun as much as possible, buy a cheap car cover if it's parked outside.

These cars are just not worth professionally repainting (imo). A quality "factory" repaint would probably cost more than the value of the car, and it will add very little value. If it really bothers you, you'd be better off selling it and buying one that doesn't have this issue.
Old 03-09-11, 03:03 PM
JSM1284
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

It has been repainted before, very obvious from the look of the paint on the hood. They did not prep the panel properly before painting. The whole panel needs to be stripped, then redone correctly.
The following users liked this post:
cmurphy (07-06-17)
Old 03-09-11, 08:36 PM
exxonham
Driver

Originally Posted by BradTank
I would talk to a body shop and see what they would charge for just the areas affected. The hood doesn't look that bad, but the side mirror panels is probably what I would have redone. I would probably just paint myself satin black with a spray can and call it a day. That would blend in and be cheap.

It sucks that it's happening, probably the best thing you could do to slow it down is just keep it out of the sun as much as possible, buy a cheap car cover if it's parked outside.

These cars are just not worth professionally repainting (imo). A quality "factory" repaint would probably cost more than the value of the car, and it will add very little value. If it really bothers you, you'd be better off selling it and buying one that doesn't have this issue.
Thanks man and guess what drove to the store and came back and got much worse, and I was pissed. So took tooth brush and scraped all the clear coat best I could at edges, so hopefully the wind wont get under and cause even more. But ill take to shop and ask about maybe light clear spray on affected area and maybe wet sand, Im just guessing thats what they do. But ya I am NOT repainting the hood the rest of the car is Almost flawless. This happeded right after an extreme snow storm "as I in ATL" call it but we got *** load of snow like foot, and when I was geting the snow off car, bame this **** happened, HEy im in the "Es300 snow pics Thread" if you care to see, but I just want it to stop, and I will NEVER sell this car my grand kids will drive this car, and I'm 22, so its my baby 150k going strong its 99, but thanks ill take to shop and see what they or I could do to stop it, Ill update and yall can see results and withe the side mirrors I will paint them myself.
Old 03-09-11, 08:42 PM
exxonham
Driver

Originally Posted by JSM1284
It has been repainted before, very obvious from the look of the paint on the hood. They did not prep the panel properly before painting. The whole panel needs to be stripped, then redone correctly.
Are you sure? Its the Hood that is affected, all the door jams trunk and everything is nice gloss marron color, as I said to other guy this happened after snow storm with the hood, but I know the side mirror do look like sh@t but those might have been re painted for I have know idea what reason, But ill prob re paint those and hey all the stickers are nice and good and car fax was good idk but any other clues I could look for?
Old 03-10-11, 04:58 PM
JSM1284
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

The orange peel on the hood, and maybe the fender dont look like factory orange peel.
Old 03-12-11, 03:53 PM
rey_L2P
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you might have to just sand down the hood a re-spray clear, and as for the mirror make sure you use some primer first before re-painting.