ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

2 questions: Does a single-din (video screen fit) and who can install

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-11 | 08:47 PM
jjacks16
Driver School Candidate

Default 2 questions: Does a single-din (video screen fit) and who can install

I asked a question about a Double-Din stereo fitting in an 2000 ES3. I have found my ideal unit of choice, but it is a a Single-Din with oversized screen. Will this fit (a), and (b) will it be a clean fit i.e. will the monitor be even with the dash or will it stick out from the dash? Also, if there is anyone in the Washington DC metro area that knows how to install or can recommend a place to have my unit installed please let me know. Thanks
Old 03-22-11 | 08:57 PM
funcrusher
Racer

Single din as in the screen flips out?
Old 03-22-11 | 09:03 PM
MrKV
Rookie

Yes it should fit.
If it is a flip out, it's definitely not going to be flush with your dash.

I'm near the district, I would help but been super busy lately because I'm leaving the country next month.
Old 03-23-11 | 02:53 AM
marcoes300
Lead Lap

there is a milion post about it dude , yeas it will fit ... just have to buy the right dash kit and there u go ! to instal : remove the radio ad instal the other radio , do a little search on this forum there is like 3 guides how to remove radio for 96-01 ES
Old 03-23-11 | 02:55 AM
marcoes300
Lead Lap

this should help you : https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es3...ry-stereo.html
Old 03-23-11 | 03:30 AM
jcastaneda
Pole Position

Just make sure you do your research on the the dash kit! There are several brands out there....but some are doo-doo.
Old 03-23-11 | 07:34 AM
trickedout
Rookie

Regardless of what single din you get, it will most likely not be flush with your dash, but with a good install it will look fine. As far as installation, I used to do that for a living, so I can give you a few good recommendations and/or talk you through it or help you with it. Pm me if you are interested. Also, what kind of single din unit are you installing? I am installing a double din in my 97 es in a few weeks.
Old 03-23-11 | 10:36 AM
jjacks16
Driver School Candidate

It's a single-din non-flip. Here's a link: http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...D-7002NRB.html.

MRKKV can you recommend anyone near DC that installs for a decent price?
Old 03-23-11 | 10:49 AM
Slooooooow
Regional Officer - NTL

From one of the seemingly reasonable reviews from the site/product URL you provided:

It is very likely you will run into fitment issues. I have a Double DIN opening in my 2008 Subaru WRX, and was hoping that this would allow me to mount the screen flush if I recess the HU back a bit. However, with the screen attached it is significantly taller than Double DIN. I also had to do about 4 hours of cutting up my install kit to get the HU to fit - more of an annoyance since I've installed several HUs before, but to a first-time installer could prove a major roadblock. I had to mount it so that when the screen is attached, it sticks out completely from the dash. Not exactly classy-looking or clean.

My advice would be if you have the money or can get it soon, spend a bit more on something you won't look at every day and be a little or more disappointed with. I wish I had done this the first time.
There are other reviews there (10) and I'd recommend perusing them if you haven't already.
Old 03-23-11 | 11:04 AM
trickedout
Rookie

ahh, I remember when they started to make units like this. If you have the patience I would recommend buying a double din unit. The double dins that I have put in my es300 have fit very well. I have installed a few of these before and because of the overhang of the screen it often creates fitment issues in many vehicles. For example sometimes they hang over in front of the climate control functions or hinder shifting or whatnot. Not to say that you would run into these problems in your ES, but the problems are very common. Also, the installed look isn't very pleasing to the eye really. The screen kind of just hangs there. It makes me awfully nervous because if for example something happened and someone were to like bump it hard enough or something like that I would be worried that it would break off, so with all that being said, I would recommend buying a double din. Plus it gives you that nice clean stock look since the stock radio is a double din size. Plus alot of double dins offer options such as ipod connect & usb hookup and navigation and such without the hassle of adding on pieces. A lot of them just have them built into the unit itself.
Old 03-23-11 | 01:49 PM
marcoes300
Lead Lap

I dont recommand buying power acoustik radio . they make good speaker but the radio are very limit ... have sold some and stopped to sell them .. look more for a Clarion radio or Soundstream ... also depend of your budget . did you read the review abour sonicelectronix ?
Old 03-23-11 | 03:42 PM
MrKV
Rookie

Originally Posted by jjacks16
It's a single-din non-flip. Here's a link: http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...D-7002NRB.html.

MRKKV can you recommend anyone near DC that installs for a decent price?
Sorry I don't know any reputable shops in the DC area as I do my own work on my car. Install should not be difficult at all, I'm sure you can find a wiring harness to make the install a whole lot easier. Also like others mentioned, find a single din dash kit, and you should be good.

Forgot to mention, try looking or posting in the NELOC section, I'm sure someone in there would know a place that could help you.

Last edited by MrKV; 03-23-11 at 03:49 PM.