ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Lowering springs

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-11 | 08:25 AM
Ls430es300
Rookie

Post Lowering springs

Hi all, i want to slam my 98 es300, i want to get springs and lower them somewhere around 2 inches, with the front lower then the back, does anyone have any suggestions on springs, also will i need a camber kit to adjust for the the camber, thanks all.
Old 04-03-11 | 10:14 AM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es3...g-springs.html
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es3...-a-2-drop.html
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es3...abe-df210.html
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es3...g-springs.html
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es3...rop-my-es.html
Old 04-03-11 | 11:19 AM
angmedic91
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Ls430es300
Hi all, i want to slam my 98 es300, i want to get springs and lower them somewhere around 2 inches, with the front lower then the back, does anyone have any suggestions on springs, also will i need a camber kit to adjust for the the camber, thanks all.
There are a lot of threads on this subject and variables regarding lowering your ES300. I have a 98 ES also, which is lowered too. You stated you want to slam your ES, define slam? I myself think of "slam" as in near body scraping low. Not going to happen with springs, sorry. If you want to lower it 2 inches, springs will give you that, but, you won't have the front lower than the back. You will get an even, all four, lowering, but the rear will give the illusion of being lower because of the design of the fender arches. If you want your front lower than the rear, your going to definitely achieve that with coilovers.

Camber kit, well, depends a lot on your wheel set up; rim size, tire size, rim offset and how low you go. If your going to lower it 2 inches, you wont need a camber kit, unless your going with a big wheel setup. If you go with coilovers, depending on the brand and model of coilover, some you can adjust for camber. If I were you and if you have at least $1,100 dollars, I would go with coilovers. It will allow you to custom adjust your ride height and if you want stiffness or softness in ride comfort. Hope this helps bro. Ultimately, you need to determine what look or stance you want and how much money you have to spend to reasonably achieve your look.
Old 04-03-11 | 02:41 PM
Ls430es300
Rookie

Smile

Originally Posted by angmedic91
There are a lot of threads on this subject and variables regarding lowering your ES300. I have a 98 ES also, which is lowered too. You stated you want to slam your ES, define slam? I myself think of "slam" as in near body scraping low. Not going to happen with springs, sorry. If you want to lower it 2 inches, springs will give you that, but, you won't have the front lower than the back. You will get an even, all four, lowering, but the rear will give the illusion of being lower because of the design of the fender arches. If you want your front lower than the rear, your going to definitely achieve that with coilovers.

Camber kit, well, depends a lot on your wheel set up; rim size, tire size, rim offset and how low you go. If your going to lower it 2 inches, you wont need a camber kit, unless your going with a big wheel setup. If you go with coilovers, depending on the brand and model of coilover, some you can adjust for camber. If I were you and if you have at least $1,100 dollars, I would go with coilovers. It will allow you to custom adjust your ride height and if you want stiffness or softness in ride comfort. Hope this helps bro. Ultimately, you need to determine what look or stance you want and how much money you have to spend to reasonably achieve your look.
Thanks for the help guys, i really appreciate your time in helping me out, i think im still gonna go with springs at about a 2inch drop, but do you think i would have to purchase all new struts for the springs? thanks
Old 04-03-11 | 06:19 PM
angmedic91
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks for the help guys, i really appreciate your time in helping me out, i think im still gonna go with springs at about a 2inch drop, but do you think i would have to purchase all new struts for the springs? thanks
Yup, you will need new struts and upper strut mounts, otherwise your going to have a ****ty feeling suspension, plus, since your have to remove the strut to put the spring on and since the car is 14 years old, might as well replace everthing. Otherwise, the old sturt might go bad with the change in ride height, then you would have to remove everything to replace the bad strut. Too many headaches; by replacing everything, you know its all new and should last another 14 years or more.
Old 04-03-11 | 07:14 PM
Ls430es300
Rookie

Originally Posted by angmedic91
Yup, you will need new struts and upper strut mounts, otherwise your going to have a ****ty feeling suspension, plus, since your have to remove the strut to put the spring on and since the car is 14 years old, might as well replace everthing. Otherwise, the old sturt might go bad with the change in ride height, then you would have to remove everything to replace the bad strut. Too many headaches; by replacing everything, you know its all new and should last another 14 years or more.
after all of this i might as well either just get coilovers, or not lower the car
Old 04-03-11 | 07:29 PM
radiokilla
Lead Lap

after all of this i might as well either just get coilovers, or not lower the car
Coilovers are really the best option because they provide you with stiffer shocks/spring rates, (most coilover systems are adjustable for dampening) height adjustability, AND you can always put your OEM suspension back on.
If you do end up slamming your ES beware of the low hanging subframe, It will scrape a lot and you will hae to learn how to drive over speedbumps and inclines at an angle to scrape less. I know KSport makes coilovers for the ES.

Good Luck!
Old 04-04-11 | 08:22 AM
Ls430es300
Rookie

Originally Posted by radiokilla
Coilovers are really the best option because they provide you with stiffer shocks/spring rates, (most coilover systems are adjustable for dampening) height adjustability, AND you can always put your OEM suspension back on.
If you do end up slamming your ES beware of the low hanging subframe, It will scrape a lot and you will hae to learn how to drive over speedbumps and inclines at an angle to scrape less. I know KSport makes coilovers for the ES.

Good Luck!
Thanks for your help and thinking of about a 2 inch drop all around
Old 04-04-11 | 09:13 AM
PlatES300
Lead Lap

springs for the ES are not worth it. Just save up and get coilovers. I've had 2 sets of lowering springs (Tein S-tech and DF210) and the drop they provide is hardly noticeable. Not to mention there are really no after market sport shocks for the ES so your shocks will wear down very fast if you drop more than an inch. I had both GR-2's and the Tokico blues and after about 40k miles they were shot. Save up and get either the Tein SS coils or the BCR Coils.
Old 04-04-11 | 03:17 PM
Ls430es300
Rookie

Originally Posted by PlatES300
springs for the ES are not worth it. Just save up and get coilovers. I've had 2 sets of lowering springs (Tein S-tech and DF210) and the drop they provide is hardly noticeable. Not to mention there are really no after market sport shocks for the ES so your shocks will wear down very fast if you drop more than an inch. I had both GR-2's and the Tokico blues and after about 40k miles they were shot. Save up and get either the Tein SS coils or the BCR Coils.
thanks for your help!
Old 04-05-11 | 09:16 AM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by PlatES300
damn....

Still got those springs?!
Old 04-05-11 | 10:14 AM
PlatES300
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 01LEXPL
damn....

Still got those springs?!
lol yep still got the S-techs. they're still on the tokico's in my shed.
Old 04-05-11 | 10:16 AM
Slooooooow
Regional Officer - NTL

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by radiokilla

Good Luck!
^ (all of) THIS (and especially the last paragraph!)

My garage STILL has two tracks in the lip at the entrance where my frame would greet it day-to-day. I can't imagine the 3ES being much different, but I was STUNNED at how frame-low my 2ES was (and will be again shortly).