ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

It Just Goes "Click"....

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-11, 08:47 AM
ikant
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by yeldogt
The starter and solenoid are all together -- the solenoid is the smaller part.

This is the failure when all you get is the click -- many of the replacement starters are not all that good. The Toyota unit is very high quality.

If you ever have a situation where the car just clicks and you have to turn the key a few times to get the starter to work ---- Order the parts for the starter and fix it - contacts and plunger. It will eventually fail if you don't -- anyone with basic tools can fix this.

Many times people think it is the battery -- or if you test the starter it will show up as pulling too many amps. Its the contacts.

Some of the dealers stock the parts also - but they like selling starters

Glad you got it fixed
I'm quite sure they do love selling the whole unit one would need for the repair--I would Thank you for the added information (which I'll take heed to). I just look across the desk here and noticed I have the paperwork from the Starter box, and it has the full instructions for proper removal and replacement. As the mechanic worked on it it looked pretty daunting--simpler for him and you guys since you've had to do it at least once. [I guess like the instrument panel--I only had to do it once, then each time afterward was a breeze ].
Old 04-14-11, 09:03 AM
yeldogt
Lead Lap

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

The starter removal is very easy on many of the Toyota V6's -- takes no more than a few minutes to remove.

I listed the information so that others with the problem will understand that the fix is easy and cheap. The starter problem can be very intermittent at first -- and with an old car people often ignore it until they are stranded.
Old 04-14-11, 09:31 AM
decypher
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by yeldogt
The starter and solenoid are all together -- the solenoid is the smaller part.

This is the failure when all you get is the click -- many of the replacement starters are not all that good. The Toyota unit is very high quality.

If you ever have a situation where the car just clicks and you have to turn the key a few times to get the starter to work ---- Order the parts for the starter and fix it - contacts and plunger. It will eventually fail if you don't -- anyone with basic tools can fix this.

Many times people think it is the battery -- or if you test the starter it will show up as pulling too many amps. Its the contacts.

Some of the dealers stock the parts also - but they like selling starters

Glad you got it fixed
The contacts and plunger / starter fix is definitely some useful info... and yes the dealers loves to upsell anything they can!! $$$ Makes the world go 'round.