ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Just purchased 97 ES300 173k miles $3200

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-11 | 03:05 PM
Ickey
Driver School Candidate

Default Just purchased 97 ES300 173k miles $3200

Hey folks,

I'm a first time Lexus owner here. Nothing to brag about, basically bought this car cause I felt I got a good deal and it can become a solid daily driver.

Details: 97 ES300 173k miles, Clean title, registration, and passed smog with flying colors. Motor is also strong. Purchase price $3200

There are a few issues though. I've been searching the forums and the nice thing is, most of the topics I wanted to discuss have already been covered in other threads. There are just a few items I had questions about where I could not find the specific answer.

Interior is beat - Front leather seats are torn at the stitches, dirty, nasty. I'm thinking of having them re-upholstered. Anyone have any idea of how much that would typically cost? I'd rather not get the leatherseats.com or katskins stuff. I've heard mixed reviews. Can I replace the gear shifter? Do they sell that part? I've searched and searched and can't find it anywhere.

Drivers side seatbelt needs replacement - Its old and dirty. Doesn't retract very well. Can I replace this myself? Or does it need to be done by a dealer? How much would this typically cost?

The A/C does not blow cold air - I believe it just needs a recharge since the actual unit has power and blows air (just not cold)

The A/C off button does not work -If I push the button, it will only stop if I hold the button down. Once I let go, it turns back on. Could this be something fried on the circuit?

Power side mirrors and dash clock don't work - I tried replacing some of the fuses w/ no luck. I don't really know the specific fuse (whether in the engine or behind coin hold) so if someone knows the exact fuse, that would be awesome!!

Windshield washer (spray) does not function. I believe it's the washer pump (motor) since I don't hear it turn on when I the washer is on.

Radio LCD face does not work - Radio works fine, speakers sound fine. I've read I can replace the LCD. I checked the Pioneer website and it looks like the part is on back order till May. I'm not even sure they make those anymore, I might have to either replace the head unit completely, or check a junkyard.

Shocks and Struts: I have creaking all around. I plan to replace the front strut upper mounts. I don't have much experience with suspension so please pardon the question if it sounds stupid. Does this require that I take the entire shocks/strut out, just to get to the top mounts? Or can I just replace them from the top, w/o pulling out the entire suspension? From the looks of it, I have to remove the entire suspension (shocks/struts).

I also plan to replace the rear sway bushings since I read that sometime solves the rear suspension creaking noises I hear. The creaking noises around the car are more prominent in the early morning when it's colder. By mid day, the noises aren't as bad.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions and answers!
Old 04-14-11 | 03:31 PM
imherenow
Racer

congrats on you new ride..looks like u havve few imp issues..
Old 04-14-11 | 06:53 PM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

I'll give it a whirl! For a few anyways.

Interior is beat - Front leather seats are torn at the stitches, dirty, nasty. I'm thinking of having them re-upholstered. Anyone have any idea of how much that would typically cost? I'd rather not get the leatherseats.com or katskins stuff. I've heard mixed reviews. Can I replace the gear shifter? Do they sell that part? I've searched and searched and can't find it anywhere.

I wouldn't knock Katzkin, i've seen some of their stuff in cars, and it is top notch. If you can talk to someone with an account and get the 'dealer' pricing you wouldn't think twice about going this way!

Second option, ebay, local salvage yards. I've seen seats for reasonable money - but shipping generally kills the deal unless its free. Also, i've seen a few sellers like these guys that part these cars and sell off pieces for a REASONABLE amount, unlike 'all toyota & lexus parts':
http://myworld.ebay.com/ebaymotors/carlcai/
http://myworld.ebay.com/ebaymotors/lkqonline/

Just search for 'es300' one of them has one seat for 75$

My thoughts? Get the covers, there's a member on here that's redoing his interior for the same reason as yourself.

Drivers side seatbelt needs replacement - Its old and dirty. Doesn't retract very well. Can I replace this myself? Or does it need to be done by a dealer? How much would this typically cost?

You can do it, and try the above links & eBay, they're pretty reasonable in price.

The A/C off button does not work -If I push the button, it will only stop if I hold the button down. Once I let go, it turns back on. Could this be something fried on the circuit?

Perhaps, or as simple as the button not functioning or making a connection. Browse eBay, if you look around you can find new climate controls for <40$ with working LCD's & tested so they work.

Power side mirrors and dash clock don't work - I tried replacing some of the fuses w/ no luck. I don't really know the specific fuse (whether in the engine or behind coin hold) so if someone knows the exact fuse, that would be awesome!!

I'm stumped on this one. This should be one of the fuses in the engine bay. My 2001 blew the same fuse when changing my LED's - it also prevented the FOB from unlocking the car & other things interior wise. Check the manual.

Windshield washer (spray) does not function. I believe it's the washer pump (motor) since I don't hear it turn on when I the washer is on.

Could be, perhaps try and check the lines before you look for a new motor. Sometimes the little tubes disintegrate [old rubber] or they can get clogged?

Radio LCD face does not work - Radio works fine, speakers sound fine. I've read I can replace the LCD. I checked the Pioneer website and it looks like the part is on back order till May. I'm not even sure they make those anymore, I might have to either replace the head unit completely, or check a junkyard.

Don't bother on Pioneer, its like a 100+ $ piece For 60$ you can get a working oem radio off eBay... or better yet an aftermarket one!

Shocks and Struts: I have creaking all around. I plan to replace the front strut upper mounts. I don't have much experience with suspension so please pardon the question if it sounds stupid. Does this require that I take the entire shocks/strut out, just to get to the top mounts? Or can I just replace them from the top, w/o pulling out the entire suspension? From the looks of it, I have to remove the entire suspension (shocks/struts).

Could be as simple as bushings!! This is super common on these cars. I have to redo my bushings as they've let go after a couple of years and the strut mounts do make noise as well. Since with time the little rubber seal/gasket around the top mount will deteriorate. Its a ****ty design since you can't lube it up as nothing will penetrate it!

And yes, to replace the strut mounts you have to remove the front end components, so its one of those things where you say 'yes its worth it just for the mounts' or wait and pull one of the 'since you're in there changing my struts do the mounts' on the mechanic since labour wise, why pay twice?

I also plan to replace the rear sway bushings since I read that sometime solves the rear suspension creaking noises I hear. The creaking noises around the car are more prominent in the early morning when it's colder. By mid day, the noises aren't as bad.

Won't hurt, its a quick fix.
Old 04-14-11 | 08:15 PM
Ickey
Driver School Candidate

Thanks 01LEXPL!

I'm getting on ebay to look for the parts now...

I'm also going to search for more threads on the quality of Katzkin and I may end up going this route as opposed to getting them re-upholstered. Mainly depends on price and quality.