ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Hello CL, wanna see something cool?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-12, 01:04 AM
EEngineer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

no turbo for this year yet. can't do everything at the same time u know.
but here's a teaser.
Old 07-19-12, 01:12 AM
EEngineer
Lexus Test Driver

dyno tune happening tomorrow took a spin around the block with light throttle...wow, car is already totally different.

some golden shots right here:

done up engine bay

30 degree merge. beats a Y-pipe anyday

now i can really say i have a full 3" exhaust cuz it's 3" right after the merge!
Old 07-19-12, 02:38 AM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Received 292 Likes on 231 Posts

Correct me if I'm wrong, but you no longer have the two cats after the headers, just the one under the car. So having that B2S1 oxygen sensor, does it actually do anything? Do you get any CELs?

Other than that, you're effing crazy. Love it.
Old 07-19-12, 08:57 AM
EEngineer
Lexus Test Driver

cat? what cat? lol
stock 3vz has only one cat after the y-pipe.
and the sensor you see is not what you think it is, take a guess.

no CELs, never CELs on a 3vz
Old 07-19-12, 09:00 PM
clean93es
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't know you could supercharge a 3vzfe es300 something about the manifold thought only the 1mz would accomodate The trd setup. I would like to know how you made it word i have a 93 es300 130k 1 owner car.
Old 07-19-12, 10:40 PM
DixonPai
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by EEngineer
cat? what cat? lol
stock 3vz has only one cat after the y-pipe.
and the sensor you see is not what you think it is, take a guess.

no CELs, never CELs on a 3vz
IT MUST BE THAT NOS INJECTOR LOL jk jk jk hahaha
Old 07-20-12, 12:34 AM
EEngineer
Lexus Test Driver

car is tuned...**** is amazing...but i feel like being an *** cuz i'm tired and still recovering from a summer cold... my numbers are staying secret for now

but, i'll post something that might confuse some of you.
i switched from a 6psi pulley to a 8psi pulley. previously, the peak boost measured at 7.5psi. now it's only measuring at 7psi and the boost dips. this could only mean one thing and it's a good thing
take a guess haha

oh yea, btw, that sensor is a AEM wideband
Old 07-20-12, 06:10 AM
starman57
Driver School Candidate

Guess. Hmmm. Normally, looking at the manifold pressure, I'd say that there's an intake restriction limiting the amount of air volume to the supercharger. But no. Since it drops off, there's something even better happening. Better exhaust scavenging of the cylinders at high rpm. The engine is actually being vacuumed downstream with that new header and collector arrangement.

The engine is breathing better only because the exhaust pulses are pulling out manifold pressure. Could there be a bit too much overlap from the exhaust and intake valves requiring a cam regrind?

But hey, you're going to a twin charged system so that will only mean it will be pulling more intake charge at higher rpms, which will be at a higher pressure courtesy of the supercharger and turbo charger.

Nice setup. Killer exhaust.
Old 07-20-12, 08:08 AM
xsh0tya
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't understand your lingo.... you seem strange to me sir. Really though I don't know what all that talk means but sounds like your doing a GREAT JOB. Congrats!!!
Old 07-20-12, 10:34 AM
EEngineer
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by starman57
Guess. Hmmm. Normally, looking at the manifold pressure, I'd say that there's an intake restriction limiting the amount of air volume to the supercharger. But no. Since it drops off, there's something even better happening. Better exhaust scavenging of the cylinders at high rpm. The engine is actually being vacuumed downstream with that new header and collector arrangement.

The engine is breathing better only because the exhaust pulses are pulling out manifold pressure.
Could there be a bit too much overlap from the exhaust and intake valves requiring a cam regrind?

But hey, you're going to a twin charged system so that will only mean it will be pulling more intake charge at higher rpms, which will be at a higher pressure courtesy of the supercharger and turbo charger.

Nice setup. Killer exhaust.
that sentence is where the gold is at. everything else was a good guess haha.
Old 07-20-12, 03:08 PM
starman57
Driver School Candidate

So with this setup, are you planning to do a cam regrind? Are the intake valve and exhaust valve overlap published, and if so, how many degrees do they overlap?

With such an efficient exhaust system, the exhaust valve could close sooner so that it isn't stealing intake manifold pressure and dumping it out the exhaust as well. That should result in a better charge in the cylinder.

Comments?
Old 07-20-12, 03:44 PM
Bdub215
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by starman57
So with this setup, are you planning to do a cam regrind? Are the intake valve and exhaust valve overlap published, and if so, how many degrees do they overlap?

With such an efficient exhaust system, the exhaust valve could close sooner so that it isn't stealing intake manifold pressure and dumping it out the exhaust as well. That should result in a better charge in the cylinder.

Comments?
The cam specs are published in the Toyota Repair manual from 1992. I have them. Now from what ive been told, camming a 3VZ makes it essentially a 1MZ. The low end torque that it's known for is gone. I can't prove this to be true though. And lol at the 3 cat statement. OBD-I FTW
Old 07-20-12, 11:42 PM
EEngineer
Lexus Test Driver

didn't make it to 300, but sure was close. a huge fat torque gain all across. I'm already very satisfied.

comparison to the first sc setup (the old graph showed only 240, got 249 after full tune)

here's a bonus video:

Last edited by EEngineer; 07-21-12 at 12:45 AM.
Old 07-21-12, 12:12 AM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Received 292 Likes on 231 Posts

Spitting flames, nice.
Old 07-21-12, 09:56 AM
95TEALSC3
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Talking

Originally Posted by EEngineer

didn't make it to 300, but sure was close. a huge fat torque gain all across. I'm already very satisfied.

comparison to the first sc setup (the old graph showed only 240, got 249 after full tune)

here's a bonus video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-YzKsQOWHM

ohhh yeahh.
Fiyyaahhhhhh!!!

Quick Reply: Hello CL, wanna see something cool?