ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Hello CL, wanna see something cool?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-19, 11:38 AM
DLfpv
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by EEngineer
The low factory spring rate really makes these coilovers quite comfortable for daily driving. I had the factory rates on my ES for 3 years and they rode with the stiffness of a factory RSX of the sort. Which is good if you live in a place with a decent amount of potholes.
On the track though, the factory rates are way too soft. I had a lot of head lift and bob around banked corners etc.
My friend went for a much higher spring rate and it did much better on the track. I think he opted for 13/9

it's really up to you on what you want to do. I think 7k/3k will ride street really well.
My reasoning for wanting to go up a bit in front is because I assume the default is for 4 cyl camry. and for the rear I have 150lbs of stereo equipment in the trunk. I do want it a little stiff but nothing too crazy. It is a daily, No track. But its also 5 speed and I like to corner fast/drive spirited. I think the 8/5 will be a good middle ground but I really have no idea. Not going to lower it much just a tiny bit to where you cant really tell its been lowered. Only coilovers I ever had were some junk racelands in a 97 bmw 328i and I dont even know what the spring rates were. Here is my es if you care to see. Got some wheels off a 2008 is250 and had them powdercoated in kingsport grey by parismatic powders.

Old 07-30-19, 03:31 PM
EEngineer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by DLfpv
My reasoning for wanting to go up a bit in front is because I assume the default is for 4 cyl camry. and for the rear I have 150lbs of stereo equipment in the trunk. I do want it a little stiff but nothing too crazy. It is a daily, No track. But its also 5 speed and I like to corner fast/drive spirited. I think the 8/5 will be a good middle ground but I really have no idea. Not going to lower it much just a tiny bit to where you cant really tell its been lowered. Only coilovers I ever had were some junk racelands in a 97 bmw 328i and I dont even know what the spring rates were. Here is my es if you care to see. Got some wheels off a 2008 is250 and had them powdercoated in kingsport grey by parismatic powders.

oh wow, exact same car as Gerson's black 5spd. He's a lexus mechanic and he keeps his ES300 mint just like yours. He probable wipes his tire sidewalls clean every week just for fun. LOL jksjks.
as for the rates, your selection is going to be fine. you just have to convince yourself on the extra waiting and paying a little extra for the slight higher rate.
With them big wheels, you definitely need a good drop. My recommendation is to install fronts and rears separately. Lower the car on the wheels, see if you are satisfied with the height, and re-adjust if needed.
Lastly, make sure to get new swaybar links white you are at it.

Lastly, I'm gonna share a secret.
You can install 2010 Toyota Highlander/Sienna rotors and calipers on these cars without doing any modifications. free brake upgrade =]
holes line up perfectly. I had them on my Solara and worked wonders.

cheers.
The following users liked this post:
Ezroni (06-11-21)
Old 07-31-19, 02:51 AM
DLfpv
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by EEngineer
oh wow, exact same car as Gerson's black 5spd. He's a lexus mechanic and he keeps his ES300 mint just like yours. He probable wipes his tire sidewalls clean every week just for fun. LOL jksjks.
as for the rates, your selection is going to be fine. you just have to convince yourself on the extra waiting and paying a little extra for the slight higher rate.
With them big wheels, you definitely need a good drop. My recommendation is to install fronts and rears separately. Lower the car on the wheels, see if you are satisfied with the height, and re-adjust if needed.
Lastly, make sure to get new swaybar links white you are at it.

Lastly, I'm gonna share a secret.
You can install 2010 Toyota Highlander/Sienna rotors and calipers on these cars without doing any modifications. free brake upgrade =]
holes line up perfectly. I had them on my Solara and worked wonders.

cheers.
I ended up going with the aftermarket spring rates. They dont charge extra anymore but it does take about 3 weeks. I definatly wouldnt call it mint. I've had it about 4 months and am slowly restoring it/doing little upgrades. It's already came a long way. I picked up a dual action polisher and learned how to claybar/compound/polish paint on this car and that made a huge difference. Not sure what the last owner did but the paint was horrible. I have some small areas I want to get re painted and the front bumper has a crack. Thanks for all the tips! Next step I'm going to replace all the bushings, tie rods, ball joints, etc with moog problem solvers but it's looking like that will be around $400 there are cheaper brands but I'm not too sure about them. but it should feel very nice when coils and all the bushings are done. Brake upgrade sounds nice! Maybe in the future.