ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

ES300 water pump replacement and fuel injector

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-11, 05:12 PM
djesky1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ES300 water pump replacement and fuel injector

Hey everybody this is my first post. Right now what I'm trying to figure out is whether or not my water pump is bad. For awhile I was noticing my coolant reservoir was low but it seemed to stay at the same level and I never noticed any puddling underneath the car. Now I'm noticing small puddles underneath the car after driving for 30+ minutes and the coolant level dropping.

I'm not sure if this is necessarily a bad water pump or if it could be something simpler. Also, I'm trying to figure out where the water pump may be at. I'm not a pro mechanic by any means but I'm tight on cash and trying to get this for as cheap as possible.

Out of the blue a handful of things have gone wrong. My car was running very poorly and the check engine light came on so I replaced the spark plugs and the problem was cured. 5-6 days after this the check engine light came back on and the engine began running horribly again. Now the computer is shooting off P0303. I have a feeling this is now the cylinder 3 fuel injector but am not able to get to it because it is buried underneath the manifold. Shortly after the check engine light came on shooting off P0303 is when I noticed the coolant leak.

So as stated above my problem is actually worse than just the coolant leak. #1 Where is the water pump and could this leak be something else? #2 Is there another way to get to the cylinder three fuel injector without pulling off the manifold?
Old 05-02-11, 11:28 AM
KLF
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The water pump is under the timing cover, driven by the timing belt. You have to remove the timing cover to inspect it, by the time you get to it, you might as well replace it.

Can you tell where the coolant is coming from?
Old 05-02-11, 02:20 PM
djesky1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The coolant appears to be coming from the left side of the engine if you are looking at the car head on. This would be where I believe the timing belt is. I'm not sure what the cover looks like and what would I be inspecting? Also, I did go under the car and look underneath and it appears the is something leaking all over the place. I'm hoping it is the coolant but it is all gunky so hard to tell.
Old 05-02-11, 03:18 PM
PlatES300
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by djesky1
The coolant appears to be coming from the left side of the engine if you are looking at the car head on. This would be where I believe the timing belt is. I'm not sure what the cover looks like and what would I be inspecting? Also, I did go under the car and look underneath and it appears the is something leaking all over the place. I'm hoping it is the coolant but it is all gunky so hard to tell.
how many miles are on the car and when was the last time the water pump was changed? you have to take off the timing belt cover to inspect the water pump/water pump gasket. If you see a white chalky build up around the water pump, then odds are the gasket is gone and you will have to replace the entire thing.