ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

2003 es300 smokes at start-up!

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-11, 06:02 PM
Alexslexus
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 es300 smokes at start-up!

I've only had this car a couple months and have just recently noticed that when I start the car after it has been sitting for a few hours, it blows out smoke from the rear tail pipe. Its a pretty good amount, and it appears white. There is no oil residue in the tal pipe and my oil level is still full. I also haven't noticed a drop in coolant level via the reservoir, in fact the level is slightly above full inside the tank. The engine runs like a sewing machine and the car drives perfect, well, except for the funky transmission...you know how that goes. The car has 83,000 miles on it, btw. What the heck could this be? The engine temp also stays right where it should be. I pray its not oil sludge...but the engine runs too good for me to be convinced of that. I hope it isn't anything else major, this is the car that is supposed to get us to california from florida in a couple of months!
Old 05-06-11, 06:41 PM
brucelee1
Racer

Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts

Change the PCV value and change the oil and filter.

That did the trick for me.
Old 05-06-11, 06:42 PM
brucelee1
Racer

Also, do a drain and fill on the trans.
4 qts, Toyota fluid.

That will help.
Old 05-06-11, 07:06 PM
Alexslexus
Driver School Candidate

Thanks! Does the pcv valve need to be oem? I know some of my previous cars (especially GMs) required an oem valve or it would cause all kinds of wierd little issues. That would be great if its just the pcv valve...its such a nice car that it would make me sick if it needed major engine work. It has been my experience that they're never quite the same afterwards...and more problems soon followed.
Old 05-07-11, 07:00 AM
brucelee1
Racer

I used an OEM valve which cost me something like $4. It was metal and the replacement valve at parts store was plastic. If it were me, I would use the OEM. from Lexus or Toyota dealer.

FYI-Toyota resdesigned the valve from earlier models, which I understand were plastic.
Old 05-07-11, 07:32 AM
PFB
Lexus Champion

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

If the white smoke on start up dissipates immediately into the air, than it's probably just normal water vapor on a cold star up.

You can also put the palm of your hand in front of your exhaust and see and smell what you get.

Phil
Old 05-07-11, 09:27 AM
Alexslexus
Driver School Candidate

I'll give the pcv valve a change and let you know how it turns out. I ruled out steam because the smoke appears in the air long enough to surround the car and trail down to the end of my driveway.
Old 05-07-11, 12:32 PM
Alexslexus
Driver School Candidate

I stood behind the car while someone started it, and the smoke comes out bluishly grey...so itsdefinitely oil.
Old 05-08-11, 06:43 AM
brucelee1
Racer

Yes, I think it is clearly the PCV value. BTW-the Lexus tech told me the changing the PCV value would not work. He told me I had an engine ring problem and needed a rebuild.

Clearly he was wrong.
Old 05-09-11, 05:29 PM
Alexslexus
Driver School Candidate

I bought the pcv valve from the toyota dealer for 14 bucks, its the same part number as the camry se v6. They didn't have one in stock, so he said they should have it in by Wednesday. Ill keep you posted.

Perhaps I might be a little paranoid, but I am noticing that my idle is a little 'lumpy' when the ac compressor is on. When it cycles off, I can't feel the engine... but I get an ever so slight 'shake' when it kicks back on. In other words, I can feel a little 'pulsing' in the seat and steering wheel. Normally I'd consider it to be normal, but this car is so silky smooth... I wasn't sure if I should ever feel anything from the engine. I'm mentioning it just in case it might be a related issue.
Old 05-10-11, 09:01 AM
PolishJoe
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I replaced mine about year ago from one I bought from Carquest. It was less than $3 for the pcv valve.
Old 05-10-11, 09:38 AM
Alexslexus
Driver School Candidate

Yeah, I knew I'd pay a premium at the dealer, but I wanted an oem part so there was no question to wether or not it would work perfectly and solve the issue. In any case, 14 bucks is a lot cheaper than a valve guide seal job...so if it works, it will be the best $14 I've spent in a long time! Lol.
Old 05-10-11, 04:04 PM
Alexslexus
Driver School Candidate

They called and said the pcv valve had come in, so I went out there and they replaced it...and confirmed that the old one was definitely bad (you could blow through it) so I'll let it sit over night and check it tomorrow. Keeping fingers crossed.
Old 05-10-11, 04:36 PM
PolishJoe
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You will be able to blow through it one way. It's a check value. You can check them a lot of times by shaking it to see if it rattles. If its plugged up with sludge and oil you won't hear anything.
Old 05-11-11, 05:09 AM
padavid12
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

If you still get the smoke on start up after replacing the PCV, you may well have a leaking valve seal.

Quick Reply: 2003 es300 smokes at start-up!