ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Paiting the calipers

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-02, 05:17 PM
Millatyme
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Paiting the calipers

hey guys i was thinking of doing this for a little while now and sense I have finished my first project (clearing my corners) I would like to know any details on doing this...if there are any. What kind of paint should i use? What needs to come of in order to paint these....besides the wheels? Is it a really hard job? anything.....just looking for some input...thanx a lot
Old 09-04-02, 06:06 PM
amrit50
Driver

I did this on my mustang, it was easy. Just take off the wheels, and buy some brake calliper paint. They have the main colors at pep boys and local autoparts stores. You could probably order any color online. Just tape off everything but your calliper, and paint them. Make sure they are clean w/ some degreaser. You may need 2-3 coats. I'm not a big fan of painted callipers on lexus's, but it's up to you. These are not sports cars.
Old 09-04-02, 09:09 PM
LexFather

I used laquer from Home Depot, I put on 2 coats, it has been almost 18 months and no chipping.
Old 09-04-02, 09:12 PM
squarehat
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default If you must, go silver or black...

If want to paint your calipers to hide any rust, silver or black are the only two appropriate colors for an ES in my opinion. I just don't like seeing red calipers on an ES with stock brakes. It looks too ricey.
Old 09-04-02, 09:41 PM
LexFather

I'm with squarehat, I am replacing my stock ES brakes with Crossdrilled as we speak and RED is not an option. Not sure I want black or silver.
Old 09-04-02, 10:24 PM
amrit50
Driver

agreed. Silver or Black.
Old 09-05-02, 01:15 AM
01M3
Rookie

I painted my calipers silver over a year ago and still no chipping. Here's a picture, sorry about the crappy quality, it was the only picture I could dig up that you could see the caliper pretty well in. I'd go outside and take a better picture, but unfortunately I'm at college so I'm 200 miles away from my car. It was also before I dropped my car, so there's a pretty big fender gap
Attached Thumbnails Paiting the calipers-caliper.jpg  
Old 09-05-02, 01:33 AM
meZoom!
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

haha! i have red calipers on my ES. i really debated what color i should choose at the time. it was over a year ago. white i thought would look somewhat weird, blue not an option for some reason, yellow also, gold might look better on a cadillac, silver and black and red were my last options. silver and black cuz they were subtle, but since the wheels were silver i crossed that out for some reason. black wouldve been nice but after going through all the painting, i kinda didnt want nobody noticing so i went with red. plus since i like red shoes i thought i'd go for it (red calipers=shoes of the car?). on top of that i like red for a personal reason. yeah it was a risk. when i was on the phone ordering the paint, i was still debating between those 3 colors but for some reason i blurted out "red" and red was delivered. it was actually a caliper painting kit, came with a spray for cleaning, the paint itself and the lacquer/hardener/coating. if you can, go for at least 2 coats. it's really like putting nail polish on your fingers. if you're good at that you'd be good at this.
Attached Thumbnails Paiting the calipers-tirel.jpg  
Old 09-05-02, 03:02 PM
Kyle Harty
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

How high temp paint do you need for calipers? I've got some "aluminum" colored engine paint I'm planning on using for this sooner or later, I think it said 500 degrees.
Old 09-05-02, 04:59 PM
Millatyme
Lead Lap

Ya i was not planning on gowing with something that would be anything but classy and the main reason I want to do this is because the kid that owned it before me painted one little section of the front right caliper with regular blue spray paint and it looks pretty s***y. maybe silver.....but black sounds good too....i dunno...time to ponder......
Old 09-05-02, 06:52 PM
01M3
Rookie

I forgot to mention i used VHT Caliper Paint that I got from jcwhitney.com, its like 10 bucks for 2 cans so not a bad price at all
Old 09-05-02, 10:56 PM
blux
Pole Position

My break pads are red, they came like that. I want to paint my calipers too, but I'm not sure if it would look good, you cant really even see them with my wheels. Only in the back because the calipers are kind of in farther than in the front where the are about a CM away from the wheel.
Old 09-17-02, 05:25 PM
Johnny Mo
GX and 2IS Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Here's a link and a pic

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...threadid=46245

Old 09-21-02, 02:51 PM
zexen
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

bringing back the caliper thread...
i've got a white 93 es, and i'm plannin on painting the caliper's red. i know y`all have said red is not a good color, but after considering it, red on white would actually match pretty well. the one thing i don't like is how the stock rim spokes are so thick, so it really doesn't show all that much, but just askin for an opinion of red on white. my other choices would be black or yellow. thanks.
Old 09-21-02, 11:30 PM
meZoom!
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

i have red but my car is gold. it's all up to you what color you want (which makes deciding kinda harder doesnt it). i would love red on white, i personally want a white sports car like a SC3/400, s2000 or nsx w/ red brembos. my opinion about black or yellow is: yellow is a bit tacky (sorry if you liked it), black is nice, i really considered it, til i figured that even after going through all the painting trouble, black would be hardly noticeable by anyone. kinda like getting a new haircut you like but no one notices. (go for the red, go for the red ) as for the spokes being so thick, yeah, cleaning them is a hassle. you gotta park your car just right so the big gap is over the caliper.

Quick Reply: Paiting the calipers