ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

spark plugs

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-02, 03:14 AM
Ghetto-Pimp
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default spark plugs

wuts up

does anyone know how to change the spark plugs
i brought some sparks plugs. need some help.
Old 09-10-02, 02:50 PM
LEXBERG
Pole Position

Man, let me tell you I changed the spark plugs on my 97 ES3 and it took me about 2 1/2 hours. Partly because I didn't have the right tools and the screws were so damn hard. I wouldn't reccommend you to even try it, it's really not worth it. I knew that my plugs needed a change bad and I had already bought the DENSO platinum plugs, so I put them in. Unless you're really mechanically inclined don't do it.
Old 09-10-02, 04:05 PM
Pianoman72
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Changing the spark plugs is easy if you have the right tools. Have you ever done it before?

In the GS300 it is really hard because the throttle body sits right on top of the engine and covers most of the plugs! However, it looks like in your cars the engine is easily accessible once you remove the plastic cover.

I just completed changing mine and probably saved about $1000 by doing it myself. Make sure you know how many ft/lbs to torque the spark plugs to before you begin. Good luck.
Old 09-10-02, 11:29 PM
CPerez100
Lexus Test Driver

Be really careful.. a guy at work did it himself but had problems and broke a piece inside where the spark plug goes and spent double.

Warning ! if you have done it before in othe cars, go ahead. If first timer be really careful.
Old 09-11-02, 12:45 AM
730ceo
Driver School Candidate

I just got it done last week. Now I am the type who will try anything, once I see it done once. But this one I'm not sure. The front three are extremely easy because they are right under the plastic cap. But the other three are in the back of the engine very close to the wall of the engine compartment. The mechanic that did it was frustrated & had a hard time. If you try it have have a mechanic on standby for real. Also the proper tools are a neccesity. (long arm swivel ratchet) GOOD LUCK
Old 09-11-02, 11:13 AM
Pianoman72
Lexus Test Driver

Yeah, do it with someone who has done it before because there are a lot of little things you have to be aware of that are very important. Once you've done it once, you'll realize how easy it is.
Old 09-11-02, 05:04 PM
meZoom!
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

if you think you can really do it, i can post full instructions for you. they are rather long, but i would be more than happy to try and get them up here. Skill level-wise, it doesn't take rocket science, but yeah, you should know basic use of tools, and you should have a good set of tools(ratchet, wrenches, files, etc). The process is more time consuming than hard, IMO.
Old 09-13-02, 02:16 PM
njes300
Pole Position

meZoom

If you have a chance can you post the procedure .

Zankkkkkkkkks!
Old 09-15-02, 03:53 AM
Ghetto-Pimp
Rookie

thankz for the info. everyone
i just had the dealer change the spark plugz.
anywayz thankz for the info
ill post some pixz of my car later on.
Old 09-16-02, 12:28 AM
meZoom!
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default SPARK PLUG REMOVAL

Ok, finally had the time so here goes, for future reference.
Before starting with anything, make sure your battery is disconnected, and engine area is cool enough to work with bare hands (duh).
1. remove the bank cover
2.disconnect the coils wires from both sides of the cylinder heads. make sure you label them with tape or something so you dont lose track of which was where.
3. turn wires connected to the spark plugs (spark plug boot). once it is loose enough, pull UP, try not to pull any other way. don't yank on the wire either, just the boot.
4.before taking out the actual plug, clean area around it. this is so that when you take out the plug, no debris falls into the combustion chambers and causes any misfire/any traumatic tragedy in the future.
5. tool time:you need a spark plug adapter. turn plug counterclockwise, slowly, and remove. if it doesnt come off easy, use some oil and try again.
6. To install the new plug: slowly install with hands, not the handy dandy tool you just used to take the old one out with. if it doesnt go in all the way, or you feel the plug hitting something, CAREFULLY take it out, try again. once it does go in, tighten and plug.
7. Put the boots back on the plugs.
8. Put the coils that you first took off in step 2 back in. don't forget your valve bank cover.

if i forgot something please let me know. if not, then i pretty much think these are the complete instructions.
Old 09-16-02, 04:09 PM
Pianoman72
Lexus Test Driver

Don't forget to check how many ft/lbs to torque the spark plugs to. In the GS it was 13.

Also, don't forget to put anti-seize on the new spark plugs before you put them in.

You might want to add that to your faq.